History - written by the winners

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yurigadaisukida, Feb 14, 2015.

Ohhh yes you can :laughing:

Yes, I would argue that it has been.

Control over the production of historical texts has always rested in the hands of wealthy, literate individuals with ties to nobility or the ruling class. The controls over the proliferation of media have vanished to the point where anyone with a computer and internet access can now make readily accessible content viewable by roughly half the worlds population. It is becoming less about who is penning historical texts (as even our emails, text messages, and social media exchanges would constitute historical texts to future generations or civiliations examining our history) and more about how the social perception of modern issues is engineered. Even self-evident truths and verifiable information can be twisted and distorted with enough effort. The corporate media is losing its 'authority' or appeal to the newer generations and is becoming irrelevant, but that won't keep the newer generations from  being indocrinated and having their perceptions and world-views distorted by 'political correctness', intellectual dishonesty, gender/racial bias, and political rhetoric.

I think modern history has only become more deceptive since the introduction of mass media..

3. #23 MrCrispy109, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    Saying that history is written by the victors is an overstretched truth. To get a well-rounded idea of historical events you need to examine viewpoints from different parties and form your own conclusion. Unfortunately for us many historical documents from the 'losers" point of view have been lost, which leaves us with only the victors to shape our view of historical events.

Today we are lucky to be able to have so much of our history recorded and available to so many people. It allows us to better asses the events at hand and form a more well rounded conclusion.

4. Are you seriously going into Confederate apologia territory.. seriously?

5. #25 garrison68, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    I thought it was a pun about being cheap, or "Indian givers". 

6. lets play name that fallacy.

-yuri

7. #27 Rotties4Ever, Feb 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. I would say 'poisoning the well' fallacy

There's no fallacy, and you're now being blatantly disingenuous.

Here, you're clearly implying that the South was justified in its attempt at secession and there's some sort of "cover-up" by the "victors" in order to paint Confederacy in a bad light. You've obviously got some kind of agenda here, so what are you really trying to say?

10. Aside from the slavery issue I would've preferred the south won personally. America is the only nation which abolished slavery by war. Otherwise natural law would've eliminated it. the civil war really had little to do with slavery. Lincoln only made the slaves a issue when the north wasn't doing so good.

Wow, way to hit all the cliches of historical revisionism of the American Civil War. "Lost Cause" and "States' Rights," 'mirite?

when it comes to civil war, we have artifacts, records and all sorts of actual facts about that particular historical event.
    the history books were written by researches, archaeologists, historians... academics of all fields.

i think which version of the history you wish to subscribe to is up to you... the information is out there.
    consider this:
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/british-view-war-1812-quite-differently-americans-do-180951852/?no-ist

Lol, what is this from?

14. (where*) Its from Robert Redford's "Jeremiah Johnson"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/

15. #35 *ColtClassic*, Feb 16, 2015

The slow-zoom and bokeh texture should have been a give-away that it was from the seventies, but the frozen posture and cheesy head-nod made me think it was a modern parody.

Do you recommend the movie? It does look pretty badass...

16. Are you kidding me? Its Robert Redford. Yes I recommend this film. A lot of blades on here better fucking agree.

17. fyi, no one supports slavery.

We didn't meed a civil war to abolish slavery. We would have evolved over time.

The price we paid in freedom was too great, and now we are really starting to see the costs

-yuri

18. I'd like to point out that this isn't just about the civil war.

But I'd like to ask if you believe there is no confirmation bias or circular reasoning in Archaeology?

Did you personally fact check anything you learned in history class? Or do you assume the mainstream archaeologists who are paid to investigate specific things are 100% correct and nothing is hidden from you?

-yuri

There's no reason to believe slavery would have just vanished like that, at least you don't give any sound explanation for that assumption. The South's entire well being subsisted on the slave trade. And what freedoms are you talking about that we "paid the price for?"

Woah, damn son, chill... :bolt:

just kidding.. :)