born gay?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AceGoodly, Feb 13, 2015.

1. before we start, i want to explain that im not just asking whether you believe people are born gay, but that people are born straight as well. Im straight and i dont believe i was born straight. i believe it was social learning that brought me to my sexual preference. in that idea, whats the big outrage over saying a person isn't born gay? its not like its homophobic and offending. ive brought up my view that people choose sexual preference only to hear illogical responses about how what i said was offensive and untrue. ill ask them why it was offensive and they wont even be able to explain why it was?!? its like a social propaganda that one should immediately get offended when one says we learn characteristics from our surroundings instead of from the womb. thats like saying we like Chevrolet over ford from the womb. or am i wrong? someone enlighten me

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 iAmBetty, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    Not genetics, but the other thing that's kinda like it.. Epigenetics or something. The more sciency blades can explain that better than I can so I won't try

I think people are usually born straight, and then stuff happens and some are born gay, and some might "turn" gay early after birth

3. I personally don't believe people are born gay.

-yuri
    I think epigenetics is the appropriate term maybe?

But I think homosexuality probly has more to do with mental development

-yuri

4. I do believe people are born gay, and I believe people can "become" gay in a sense that their environment, abusive or not, makes them gay. Whatever the truth is, it's natural and a person's sexual preference. When people shun gay people and try and change them to "make them straight," it's impossible. That's like making a heterosexual forced to be homosexual.

Interesting topic, by the way.

"ive brought up my view that people choose sexual preference only to hear illogical responses about how what i said was offensive and untrue."

Well was it social learning or did you choose it? I think there's a difference there. 

Saying you choose your sexual preference is gonna come off as offensive because there are a lot of people who genuinely hate being gay and would absolutely be straight if they could. 

I don't really want to get into the nature vs nurture debate because I don't know, I don't think anyone really knows right now. But I think it's plainly clear that it's not as easy as saying "you know what, I think I'd like to be gay" 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes. I think tryng to find out why people are gay is missing the point.

It doesn't matter why they are gay. Live and let live

-yuri

• Like Like x 1
  7. This isn't a philosophical question, it's a scientific one, and I believe the science currently says, essentially, "genetics, biology, and environment all play a role."

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think there might be some genetic basis for being gay, but I don't think it can explain everything like people who are bisexual, pansexual, or otherwise not entirely homo/heterosexual. There are probably lots of factors at play.

9. Attraction is natural.

Some guys like fat girls, other guys like skinny girls.

No one can force you to be attracted to something you're not naturally attracted to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good point, MD.

Nature does love diversity, and so what if some people fancy things they can't procreate with?

Sometimes the why of things just gets in the way. It IS like this people - get on with it!

11. it only can't explain it if you're still thinking that sexual orientation is defined in a binary fashion.  There's no reason that genetics wouldn't make someone lean toward bisexuality or pansexuality or asexuality.  Your genes are not a set of yes/no or otherwise binary instructions.

12. #12 -13 Amp-, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
    I agree with the first part but being around someone long enough can form attraction and can kill attraction...

surroundings do play a role as well

13. I think there's also an aspect of fluidity to sexuality that is starting to be embraced, that genetics may not play a factor in. People who find themselves attracted to others they may not have been attracted to previously, that can change over time.

14. There's no reason to think genetics doesn't play a factor in that, either.  :confused_2:

15. Studies have shown homosexuality happens in dense mammalian populations....

But never says whether it's genetics or product of environment.

In my opinion, it could be both.

You could be born anything and also learn anything.

16. First you have to remember that the brain is the body part we know the least about. Your sexuality lies within the brain. So yes I do believe people are born gay.

If anyone thinks homosexuality is a choice then try to imagine a naked man. As a straight guy that's like the most difficult and repulsive thing you can imagine. So what makes anyone think there are straight men who can go with the flow like that?

Or the fact that homosexual teenagers have committed suicide because they've been taught that homosexuality is a horrible sin but they can't change who they are.

• Like Like x 1
  17. What the fuck is sexuality? The Greeks and Japanese totally had men with men relations and it was seen as perfectly normal.

18. #18 Omega369, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    I think everyone is born bisexual

Some people are just more gay than others

[​IMG]

19. quite possible!

-yuri

Don't forget the Romans, ancient Egyptians and ancient Indians. Or animals in nature :p