Novice grower, just transplanted clones in Coco. Input anyone?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Snowbum415, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Hey all,

Just transplanted some babies in botanicare ready grow aeration coco mix. Got Chemdawg '91, with a few Jack Herrer and Stardawg just for fun. Curious if anyone has input. Its only been 2 days since transplant and they look ok to me, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong...

I dipped them all in Dominion organics 'Mantis B' and quarantined them. Although I didn't see any signs of bugs I have almost lost an entire crop to mites so didn't want to take any chances. Most of the clones had good roots. Temp at around 74-78 Fahrenheit and humidity an average of 60%. Have cO2 but not sure if I should be giving them the full 1500ppm so I'm just keeping the window open for now...

I gave them all a 1/3 feeding of what the table said for veg growth week 2. (Is week 2 considered the second week AFTER transplant, or second week after clones develop roots...? I'm using GH flora (I know :( I wish I could go all organic or something better but I'm starting this grow on a budget and I already have 5 gallons of grow, micro and bloom so I'm just going to go with it this run). So I gave them about 1.5ml micro, 2ml grow and .3 ml bloom per gallon, and also 1/2 teaspoon cal/mag (dominion organics) and 1.1 ml H&G roots exelurator per gallon. Only thing I did full strength was roots exelurator. 

I have an 8 bulb 4' T5 that was about 3 feet away for the first day and last night I lowered it to be about 12" away. Didn't want the light to be too intense right now...

Should I have waited a few days until I gave them any nutes? They seem ok and like they are bouncing out of transplant shock but any input is appreciated. A few of the leaves seem like they have a bit of a deficiency (see attached pic) but could that be because they were just ready to be transplanted and hungry for a little nutrients...? 

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. #2 BloodBooger, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    Damn Dawg! Thats a super Dooper 1st grow! Love your strain selection. Keep us informed. I grow only organic in soil so I'll just lurk if you dont mind...but I can help with problems as they develop...which they are bound to do.We all have them. Good luck!

3. Looks very good. They will be growing fast so you will need more light, a whole lot more light.

You could use a good 6K,  get investors to help fund lighting and electrical.

4. Thanks Snoop and BloodBooger! 

Snoop I have plenty more light, was thinking of adding another 6bulb 4' T5 today, then the tray would be totally covered with light. Do you think I should do that now or wait a day or two...? Also I will have 2 flower rooms with 6.6k watts each (6 600's and 3 1000's). That seems like a lot of watts per plant but I think I'm just going to veg longer and do some LST and SCROG.  When do you think I can do the first topping? 

Thanks!

5. hey bud.  I use t5 for veg and clones and then I go for HPS (high pressure sodium) for flower. 
               This is a Huge grow!  gj and good luck.  My best advice as a new grower like me is this.  Let it go.  when in doubt, let it go. 
    should I water?     or give more nutes?     idk, better let it go.  and another day the plants will tell you:D   as far as topping, when they have nice roots holding,  good to go. 
    These are clones so they are little plants that are the same age as their mom.  so they should be able to handle some nutes, np.  first things first tho, always let them develop roots first.  2 weeks and u should be good to add slight nutes, or before.  if u get an even yellowing on a leaf then that's her saying im now using my own stored food cause you aren't feeding me.  Burnt at the tips is too too much.  so listen to your girls :D  GL and im always here as well :D

6. Thanks for the input, everyone!

I waited 3 days after first watering (right after transplant) before watering again. Most pots had dried out on the top a bit. Could have probably gone another day before watering but I was getting a feeling they were ready for some food, and I'm using botanicare ready-grow aeration coco blend so I don't think overwatering will be much of an issue... FYI Temp at a steady 74 degrees and RH at 55%-60%

I followed the GH feeding schedule for week 2, "Early Growth": 4ml Micro, 5ml Gro, 1ml Bloom per. Still confused if this is supposed to be week 2 after taking cuttings, or week 2 after transplanting clones with developed roots. In hindsight, my guess is the latter... I am a bit concerned I may have given them too much food :( I have attached a pic with a bit of a leaf curl. I also gave them 1 tsp per Dominion Organics CalMag and 1.1ml per of H&G Roots Excelurator. Input?

PH'ed to 5.8. Been having some issues with my Blue Lab combo Meter. It is used and seems to register very slowly... Actually bought a replacement probe but some of the KCI solution had leaked out and I believe the probe dried out which ruins them apparently...calibrated it and then it got stuck on 7.0...

PH actually went up to 6.5 after I had it at 5.8. I added just a few drops of down, mixed, waited 5 minutes, it went back to 5.0!! :( added a few drops of up, it went to 5.8. I started watering and checked it again and it went up to 6.2. So it seems some plants got 5.8 but some got 6.2. Should I be concerned? I think it is an issue of an old meter and not an issue of me adding to much up/down at a time. I'm using Blue Lab up/down. Any input, anyone?

Thanks for the help, guys. I may start a post with step by step progress of my grow, it would be helpful to me for experienced growers input, and may be fun for some of you to follow as I'm doing a fairly large grow. (Completely legal within my State's laws with all necessary documentation)

Attached Files: