Hyperion Cantos

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by The3amJunkie, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Just want to make a thread and mention how BADASS Hyperion is by Dan Simmons. The Cantos is book one and two but the first book is just called Hyperion. It is amazing science fiction probably one of the best science fiction books I have read and I have read a lot! 

Even if you are not into science fiction you will still like it. The world he writes about GRABS you!

Has anyone else read it? What did you think? 

2. I have wanted to read this book since June, but quite frankly I've been hesitant to take on the challenge.  I read the first few pages at the library and it seemed to be hard to follow deep science fiction, and I love Sci-Fi books! This book will be read soon enough because I have only heard great things and I hear the ending is mind blowing.  

The first chapter is different because its a journal of a priest but after that it is 6 separate stories to how the pilgrims got chosen and the reasons why they are on the pilgrimage to see the shrike. TRUST ME get through the first 100 pages which is still an amazing part of the book and the world will open up to you.

4. I have this in my "to read" pile. I've read some of Dan Simmons' newer stuff, which is okay, but have heard great things about Hyperion.

5. I loved these books. The first book Hyperion was my favorite of the series.  I think it was one of the first books I've read that had that framework style where it was a bunch of smaller stories told within an over-arching story.

The Endymion books were good too.