Washington Has More Pot Than It Can Smoke

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by garrison68, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Now, this is interesting.  Prices have dropped to $700-800 a lb.  

2. I will take all that extra if they don't want it.

3. Guess I need to go shopping! ;-)

4. #4 EmeraldCream, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
    It's not supply lol 

It's tax....

You guys up in WA charge a grip for some BULLSHIT weed and I'm a Seattle native transplanted to NorCal...I love the PNW, but seriously they got too happy go lucky with their liburhul "just tax the universes problems away on weed!!" buushit and it ran the industry right back into the black market. A nickle bag of shake or an 1/8th of top shelf? Same 60 bucks...who do you think is going to get it? WA or CA? 

"There's 45,000 extra pounds floating around out there with no home right now." 

I wouldn't be shocked the tiniest bit if CA sold at least as much in WA this year.......WA priced their growers out of the market...plain and simple. 

So keep charging 60 bucks in tax on a 5 dollar sack of shake and watch WA "supply" go nowhere......meanwhile in the real world CA has no prob taking ya'lls money, till we fuck the pooch with "legalization" ourselves. 

YAY LEGALIZATION!!  I can't wait for it to go federal and Monsanto magically "owns" cannabis world wide.....so much progress LOL. 

5. #5 Messiah Decoy, Feb 14, 2015
    I don't see a problem.

Obviously there are too many growers so the retail stores can demand lower wholesale prices.

Those saving will eventually be passed down to consumers as retail shops compete with each other.

So this is a big win for customers and dispensary owners.

I doubt those people want to return to prohibition with back alley deals, drug busts, and less strain selection.

6. #6 EmeraldCream, Feb 14, 2015

If there are to many growers then how come WA is buying CA weed by the metric shit ton right this very second? Right....

The retail shops can't compete at all...the tax has made them and the legal system in WA completely noncompetitive with the WELL established black/greymedical markets in the pricing department, that is the problem. 

And even if they did compete you can't compete tax away, tax is static and that super over priced weed will never get any cheaper...the industry was literally taxed to death at the starting line.

No one is going to pay 60 bucks for grams of shake from a legal source when they can keep getting top shelf 1/8ths for the same price from the same guy they been using for who knows how long? Esp when possession is decriminalized? Pfft...LOL state has to compete with black market far more openly now and their pricing is not pulling enough customers. 

Like I said the WA growers/shops have a surplus might be an actually supply/demand issue...if CA wasn't selling them weed by the ton all day every day. But the fact that they are still massive black market consumers tells me the state can't compete with the army of farmers/dealers happy to keep on giving them the finger. 

7. If taxes were the problem then retail shops would be shutting down due to a lack of sales.

That is not the case.

8. If taxes and regulation is such a bad idea then why is the legal market in Colorado thriving?

9. No they wouldn't....it's highly probable that the hand full of dispensaries they allowed to open get more than enough business to make money and still leave huge percentages of the market open to compete with better weed for a cheaper price. 

Let licencing open on dispensaries open up so that any guy who can cough up 200 bucks and a lease for 200 sq ft store can open a dispensary? Yea they would be opening and closing daily from Lake Stevens to Olympia.  

Taxes/regulations can crush certain aspects of an industry without so much as laying a finger on any of it's other parts. 

The one fact that does remain though is WA is leaving a BUNCH of their own weed on the table for black market weed from other states.....and call me crazy but it just MIGHT have something to do with the astro-fuckin-nomical taxes on the stuff pricing it out of the market.

But hey like I said you keep buying your insano priced weed and love paying that absurdo high worlds problems fixing sized tax. 

I just hope when CA does it they aren't as retarded and realize that a smaller % on a whole lot more sales is a better way to keep things rolling, I'd hate to have to leave the west coast...idk where I would live. 

Not all taxes and regulations are created equally.....in fact the two systems are very different. 

It would be awesome if WA could legally send CO their surplus....it would make WA get their shit together in a hurry. But that would require federal legalization. LOL good luck with that, most in DC are still convinced "Just Say No!" is the 11th commandment and Reagan was actually Moses incarnate. 

11. bruh thinks its ok to keep paying ridiculous prices hahaha
    those niggas are paying more than us living in illegal marijuana states.

somebody done fucked up somewhere.
    or a whole bunch of people rather.

Only difference between "Legal" and "Illegal" is which thug you're giving your money to....Lil Dip' Shit or US Gov.  and honestly I'd rather Lil Dip' Shit' get the money.  

13. Seems to me that you have no reason to complain if the black market still exist.

If the legal market thrives it means they offer better deals or products than the black market. If the black market thrives it means the legal market didn't offer good enough products or prices.

Either way the people in Washington state have a choice whether to use the legal market or the black market, so what's wrong with legalization?

It gives consumers a choice whether to use the legal or black market.

In my state, I can only use the black market. I don't have a choice and it sucks.

14. Not entirely the only difference.

Very very little of the weed among, my state at least, or in my area of the state rather, is actuallly grown here. Most of it is from out of state. Large variation in qualities. The 'good' stuff stays in the bigger cities and doesnt make it past that too often, but sometimes it does. 
    Things would be a lot different if we could grow here legally. We might be able to acquire more strains and different kinds n shit.

for fucks sake dude, people still smoke regs around here like good weed doesnt exist.

The good weed around here is anywhere from 40 to 60 $ for 3.5 grams. Ive never seen it any lower.

15. Lil dip shit?

You mean handing the cash to help empower gangs, cartels, and criminal organizations versus the money being used to build roads and schools, improve healthcare and social programs?

16. #16 EmeraldCream, Feb 14, 2015

I agree the black market does suck...but if you had the choice between your supply now and a legal source that was 4-6 x more expensive?? Which one would you pick? Member that 5 dollar joint now cost 30 ....how many of those you gonna smoke man? 

Legalization that is cost prohibitive is counter productive all around.  

It's like NYC making ciggz like 20 bucks a pack..LOL all they did was make a big cigg trafficking crime spree and blow up sales across state lines....morons. 

Taxing goes wrong when you make the black market a lucrative option via economic incentive and it can happen with literally any commodity.

Tax all diapers in the US 500% and watch people start to get stabbed for some huggies and customs/IRS agents seizing shipments of pull ups with a street value of millions, it would be stupid but it would happen if we legalized diapers like WA legalized weed and every bit as silly.

Whenever you see the money being used to ACTUALLY build roads, schools, improve HC and social programs instead of getting mediocre/falling results in practically everything the government is involved in outside of the DOD and it's crew of contractors let me know. Till then...gangs..political organizations/entities....corporations....not really much of a difference between the 3. 

Till then all I see is the MOST expensive programs and systems out there getting lackluster results so they can buck for moar money, The military/defense/sekurity sector really is the only thing that has provided the results worth of the spending...we do have the coolest toys and biggest stick on the block.

And at the end of the day you just can't have a thriving industry legal if you're point blank taxing the shit at such an insane level you're just driving it back into the hands of the black market. It's counter productive to take the taxation of a commodity to that extreme...and WA growers are going to feel the biggest hurt from it unfortunately. 

17. Everything comes with a price. If you want a legal market for weed where you have a wide array of strains and edibles to choose from at a non-sketchy place then you need to tax it or the public won't support it.

You say prices will always be ridiculously high in the legal, tax and regulated market.

I disagree.

Eventually retail prices will come down with wholesale and retail competition. Unlike cigarettes the taxes aren't created to discourage use. The taxes are there to justify a legal market. The more money states make from legalization the closer we get to a world where everyone can choose from hundreds of strains at a local Weed-Mart.

States are being forced to cut social programs and education funding left and right, so obviously it would help if they had an extra 100 million dollars in revenue.

Right now, billions go to the black market while states are cutting back on services. It's a huge waste of potential revenue.

Not all government services are crumbling and are useless. Some actually do help serve people and communities.

18. #18 EmeraldCream, Feb 14, 2015

I'm sure some do...but I defy you name one that is providing a good value at a reasonable price though.....the bills on all of them are INSANE. Even in the military/defense sector where we the people are with out a doubt getting the best bang for our buck as far as government spending goes and even there the wasteful spending is astronomical if not totally heartbreaking. 

19. Do you believe everything you read on the Internet.

20. Yes you need taxes to get public support for legalization.

The majority isn't going to support legalizing a drug like weed without some great benefit to society.

You need to understand most people view weed as something that will make their precious children stupid and lazy. You need to counter that perception with things like improved schools and healthcare.

And it doesn't matter if your state has decent growers. The average Cali dealer doesn't offer anywhere near the selection of strains and edibles as a legal dispensary would.