Deal with Alzheimers or spend ourselves into oblivion by 2050

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SlowMo, Feb 11, 2015.

Well were trying your system and there failing. Medicare requires a significant larger amount of money to stay solvent, Obamacare that your side cried for has turned into a disaster, and Social Security has a end game date of next decade.

I myself am for 100% Free Market for Healthcare. You speak as though that ever has happened.

Ponder this...even with Obamacare he never solved or even brought up one of the biggest issues on increasing rates. Healthcare is locked by the state you reside in. You can not transport your healthcare nor can anyone just all of a sudden offer it to you. Presently or in the past we never have had true competition of healthcare in the US. Some states like Alabama I believe only have 2 or 3 health care companies operating in that state. NY State is the same. You will find this replicated accross the country.

So when you have only 2 of say the 100 healthcare companies operating in a state you will get grossly exaggerated rates that in no way reflect what a fair market price is. If iPhones were the only phone that you could buy you would pay 1000 bucks for the dam thing..its the nature of how limiting access works.

Opening up all 50 states so they allow all healthcare companies to operate freely would do wonders for the cost.

The other issue on healthcare is the cost other then a monthly premium and a copay is transparent to you. Take Dental care for instance. Its remarkably stayed stable. Why...because a large chunk even with a co pay the consumer has to flip. A cavity today cost me about what it cost 10 years ago because of the way you pay. A dentist could not geometrically raise rates because I would not pay 500 to fill a cavity.

Right now our system is saddled with a nearly invisible cloak of how healthcare really works. When you go to the hospital the hospital charges your insurance company a ludicrous figure for billing. The healthcare company comes back with what they will pay and they literally go back and forth until both sides agree. Thats why on your bill you paid 10 bucks for 1 asprin.

2. #22 chiefton8, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    That's not at all what you said, nor is that what I'm asking for. 

3. #23 yurigadaisukida, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    actually its exactly what I said

Your just hating on my use of hyperbole. Which is childish

-yuri

4. #24 chiefton8, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    No, no it was not at all what you said. Go back and re-read the comment to which I originally responded. It had to do with cancer specifically, and the role in which diet plays in the development of cancer....not disease as a whole.

If you claim that what you said was just "hyperbole", then yes you should keep that in check because it's flat wrong information (that diet is the cause of the majority of cancers, or can prevent the majority of cancers). It's disrespectful to those who have cancer and have maintained an otherwise meticulous lifestyle but rather just inherited bad luck. It's disrespectful to those who have dedicated their lives to finding cures for cancer, and to those who have tried so hard, in this day in age when bullshit is spread across the internet like wildfire, to provide clear and helpful information to those in need. Yet you have the luxury to pass that shit off as "hyperbole". Comments like your's are exactly why people are convinced vaccines cause autism, etc. I personally have spent my life dedicated to research, meticulously documenting and disseminating my results to the community with the utmost lingual precision so that nothing is misconstrued, misinterpreted, misrepresented, or worse, non-reproducible. To see crap like "just eat more broccoli and you won't get cancer" that goes against this philosophy is something I cannot let slide. If that is something you consider childish, then I will forever be a child.

Put it this way...if someone misinterpreted the purpose or intent of the second amendment as you see it, you know damn well you'd be the first fly on that shit. Same thing for me when scientific ignorance is spoken as fact, particularly in a field with which I have more experience than most.

5. I apologize if I offended you.

I didn't mean to belittle the significance of the disease.

Do you not think that American diet/lifestyle has a significant effect on cancer development?

I realize a perfectly healthy person can still get cancer. I wasn't trying to argue against that

-yuri

And now we're back to this: show us some evidence. I even agree with the idea, but there needs to be some evidence.

7. Sweetheart please

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2004/329848/abs/

Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the USA and an abundance of evidence suggests that lifestyle factors including smoking

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11095-008-9661-9

This year, more than 1 million Americans and more than 10 million people worldwide are expected to be diagnosed with cancer, a disease commonly believed to be preventable. Only 5–10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90–95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/57/21/4787.short

Variation in colorectal cancer rates between countries and within ethnic groups upon migration and/or Westernization suggests a role for some aspects of Western lifestyle in the etiology of this disease.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.24343/full

Colorectal cancer is a major cause of cancer mortality and is considered to be largely attributable to inappropriate lifestyle and behavior patterns.

http://www.spandidos-publications.com/or/5/5/1191

In Hokkaido, Japan, in order to investigate the etiological relation between gastric cancer and lifestyle, a case-control study was conducted

8. #29 chiefton8, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015

I very much believe diet/lifestyle can effect the likelihood of developing cancer.

But I don't believe, and as far as I know the scientific evidence does not support, that a good diet/lifestyle in and of itself can prevent the majority of cancer cases.

A very high number of cancers are caused by HPV something that is easily vaccinated against but it tends to only be given to females.

Its also the nature of things to get all of these aliments regardless of diet/lifestyle from living so long. We as a race have never had people live this long. In fact many of the diseases which afflict seniors have been only known the last 100 years or less. Demacular degeneration for instance is by far a more troublesome condition then Alzheimer's due to the fact it hits so many...its something usually only Senior Citizens can get.

10. Interesting article as it relates to ASD but I'm having a little difficulty seeing how it relates to the thread topic or the context of the various discussions. Sorry - probably my blindness but still... 

11. was the thread about Alzheimer's?

Or about rational spending on medical science in general?

-yuri

12. It was pretty much about how Alzheimer's represents such a significant (and ever increasing) portion of the cost burden of Medicare. And future projections paint a grim picture without some major initiatives dedicated to figuring out these debilitating neurodegenerative diseases and hopefully being able to prevent them, or at least postpone their onset a decade or two. 

But that's OK. I don't own the thread, It's fine, even preferable IMO, that it branches out and gets into other related (or even unrelated) shit. Have at it.  :metal:

13. right exactly

This really isn't just about Alzheimer's

Its just a textbook example of the medical industry and healthcare system in general.

Its a losing battle to try to have socialized medicine if our industry is profiteering on treatments instead of cures.

To me it looks like a giant scam. Socialized medicine enables lifestyles that are detrimental to health, while encouraging more people to use healthcare since costs are subsidized.

Basically the industry gets even more customers and more money and doesn't actually need to cure anyone.

-yuri

14. Completely my fault, i have a bad habit of remembering things by the first letter. I was reading and thought it was relevant but i had the wrong 'A' problem in mind lol.

15. We'll be alright if we manage to wake the fuck up and refuse to keep this endless war going.

16. Start an island. Alzheimers island.

Problem solved

[​IMG]

17. Seems the cure is closer then we realize. Made the news that bombarding mouse brains with ultrasonic waves broke up the plaques that cause this. Then there bodies flushed the plaques out. After that a large number of mice had restored functionality and memories.