Mylar (Foil) vs. WHITE Paper or Paint

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by almostgrower, Feb 11, 2015.

1. I'm going to be lining the inside of my grow room soon && I just want to know which is more efficient.. So Which Do Yu Guys Think.?

2. Mylar if it's not all crinkled. But my vote is use flat white paint. It's the easiest to use and not far off in how reflective it is.

3. #3 IgnorantFool, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    Not foil...never foil...foil doesn't reflect as well as other materials, and it can easily create hot spots which can cause light burns on your plants...

Flat white paint is good...sure, mylar does reflect a bit better by the numbers, but flat white paint offers diffuse reflection...it takes a point source and instead of reflecting it at the same angle as the angle of incidence, it diffuses the light, reflecting it in all directions leading away from the surface...basically it spreads out reflected light instead of reflecting a point source like mylar or gloss paint would...

Mylar is also very good, but it has to be high quality mylar, not something like an emergency blanket as those don't have very good reflection properties...agricultural mylar also offers the benefit of being easy to clean...

Another thing to think of is panda film...it offers a white reflective surface, that is also very easy to clean...

Personally, I like flat white paint...but that's a personal preference...as it offers a relatively no muss surface, it's pretty easy to apply, and won't fall down like some of the films can if they're not properly attached...

4. i dont like mylar or any type of foil..i would go with either panda film or white paint..I like the panda film because it helps keep the room super clean as its very easy to clean its self.

5. Thanks everyone.. now all I need to know is where to find panda film

6. Amazon, local hydro store, maybe home improvement places. You can look for black and white poly film, it's basically what panda film is.

7. Flat white matt paint is best and cheapest too

8. I agree with the others that suggested you should use panda film. You should find it at your local hydroponic store or nursery.

9. You got the correct answers. Hydro store, Amazon, and sometimes you can find it at a hardware store. Its just white on one side black on the other as said above. The black sides for keeping light out (say in your hanging it over a window) and the white side obviously for reflective.

FYI: should be about .75-1$ a sq/foot thats what it sells for around here.

I'm so bad at math I had to triple check myself to make sure I wasn't posting super low prices as a wrong response haha.