Why is the United States still a country? What do Americans even have in common?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Came across this in a book I am currently reading and sadly this thread popped into my head -

Unity, like many good things, is good only in moderation.  The same can be said of disunity.

Jane Jacobs

2. Its always been like this..we just have the ability to hear about it instantly. Reading some recent books on the founding of the country...things were the same 2 centuries ago just happened in a different manner.

3. "The States of America" :smoking:

TSA! TSA!

4. So true!

Besides that, if actual history were taught instead of pc based drivel, people would find out just how bitterly divided and at each others throats we've been ever since the very founding of the nation. Hell, there were statesmen (remember those?)  who were almost ready to kill each other over the substance and wording of the constitution! And the Left-Right divide we see today, at least in terms of the role of a federal government and existence of a national (federal)  bank, can easily be seen in the  Hamilton vs Jefferson divide.

Whats also interesting is the lengths they went through to get elected...very dirty, bribes, and as much advertising as they do today but in a different manner. For instance they used to use Cigar Boxes and Tobacco Boxes to advertise on.

For people that are not interested in reading the Spielberg flick Lincoln is a interesting insight. To get the votes to once and for all settle slavery Lincoln had to pay, bribe, promise all sorts of things. Just as they do today. The votes to end slavery were no more genuine then today's votes are.

6. When you compromise both parties should be a little upset. Dems upset? Conservatives upset? K, we're golden.

7. OP doesn't understand America

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forumlll.

8. #28 fromTheOldCountry, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    I like our balance. I just want people to think for themselves and not blindly follow because someone pandered to their demographic, looking at you continual red states and black people.

And let us be honest, we needed healthcare reform and it is going really well.

9. We need more moderates and independents. Too many conservatives involved in politics means too much religious influence. Too many liberals means too many bullshit taxes. Both types of radicals wanna tell us what we should do, when plenty of us just wanna make enough to make rent, smoke weed and make enough to go on vacation.

10. Agreed 100%. We need more people willing to stand up to their party and go against party lines when they do not agree. We need more politicians who are intelligent and actually read the bills they are handed critically. We need less career politicians, although it seems our system has kind of led to that. Politicians should always be able to vote for what they believe and what they think is best for their constituents. It seems that many have forgotten that or don't care. I find it funny that we have some of the biggest retards in office. Like how are some of these people even breathing yet alone in office. Maybe it's a testament to how vain and shallow you have to be even win an election.

11. For those here that want to get rid of Texas, it's us, California and New York that are keeping the rest of your sorry ass economies alive.  LOL

In any case one of the OPs topics was the USA moving towards a police state.  I would certainly agree on that.  If you were to have had your civil liberties curtained in the 70's like you do today, there'd be rioting in the streets everywhere.  If you were to tell someone back then that your federal government had the legal capability of holding you without arrest, getting your personal data without a warrant, you would have thought they were talking about a science fiction movie.  They would NEVER have believed that could happen here.

Well guess what?  It did.  

12. The thing about having more moderates/independents is that it will never happen in our system, those people eventually choose a side because they know that voting that way is useless and want to take the lesser of two evils(unless something huge happens and the independents actually become close to the majority...I wish). It's a good thing we have a 2-party system. Better this than something like Germany had where Hitler got in office with like 33% of the vote. 

14. When the parties compromise that usually means the people are screwed i.e. the Iraq War the bank bailout and many other examples.

15. We should split the country into people who believe in science and people who practice religion. A lot of people would be happier.

16. Over 50% of the countries births are in California. Cali is all that matters in the future.

17. The people will always be screwed in America regardless. Civilians all around the world for that matter, will always be at the end of the stick. Anything that happens it's the poor majority of humans that will sacrifice and lose the most.

18. Has someone been forcing you to learn Chinese? Cause that made as much sense as Chinese Algebra.

19. #39 BloodBooger, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
    Who gives a good Goddamned if we try to "accommodate" the newest Americans? How dare those poor bastards not sprechen zie English.If were goin down that road, we all ought to be forced to speak Commanche.

20. When i visited fort worth/dallas i remember going to parts of the city where literally everything was in spanish. Fast food places, businesses, road signs, like it was part of mexico and theyre getting revenge for the Mexican american war. I was like "lol wut, this is 'murica". I hate how colleges require you to take years of a foreign language, seems pretty god damn fascist to me.