Does Ethnicity/race/genetics effect how marijuana effect people?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Mystic Music Monkey, Feb 9, 2015.

1. #1 Mystic Music Monkey, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Now this subject is a bit taboo but I felt like getting other people's view on this. Based on what I've experienced black's seem to be more functional for example while under the influence of weed, and I know many drugs affects ethnicity/races differently, like alcohol metabolism and such. I know whites are usually more experimental with drugs based on some studies I've read. This is all hypothetical and random but maybe people whom have Irish genetics/DNA, for example, have a higher prevalence of psychotic episodes to weed or something so maybe you should be more careful with heavy use. Or maybe certain groups are more prone to addiction than others. Anyways my question is do you think weed effects others differently, and if so can you give specific examples?

edit
    Also i'm aware that some are predisposed to thing's like schizophrenia and what not but I want too know any specifics, if possible thx.

title*affect lol

A curious stoner.

2. Well, my race has been using Cannabis for thousands of years, that's all I know..  Europeans, Eurasians and Asians all have deep-seeded history in Cannabis use. I know Africa does too, but not as old.

3. #3 foxforcefive, Feb 9, 2015
    As a Jew who's smoked with many other Jews (family and friends) I can say that we tend to get very paranoid and anxious from weed. But those feelings are always lurking under the surface of us Jews, and I think the weed just helps bring them out. I really can't smoke anymore because of the paranoia......shit sucks. But I'll always be on this forum!

4. #4 Mystic Music Monkey, Feb 9, 2015
    So do you think it may affect them differently?

Hmmm well i know Jews tend to have higher I.Q on average, so maybe this is the reason? In other words maybe it's too overwhelming?
    I too get pretty paranoid sometimes and seem to have a stronger reaction to the ganja than people I've smoked with. idk you can't really go to much in depth without looking at some unsettling perspectives. thx 4 the input
    LOL can't believe I posted this topic.

5. Well, I'm mostly Germanic which is the furthest thing from being a Jew lolol but I still get that way too.
    I really think that has to do with individuals, maybe your friends and family are all just similar to you. Perhaps being a smarter person does cause that, as you will end up being in your head more while high than others

6. #6 Mystic Music Monkey, Feb 9, 2015
    An interesting tid-bit of info I stumbled upon gives a few leads.
    http://www.hightimes.com/read/why-pot-affects-everyone-differently

Prevalence of these genes in populations would be interesting to know.
    "When looking into genetic differences that influence cannabis' affect on the brain, they analyzed two genes: COMT val158met and 5-HTTLPR, two genes commonly studied for their connection with personal traits and neuropsychiatric disorders."

Well I think Jews and Germans would be closer related than Asians for example, right?
    In any case it would make sense that smarter, or maybe people who are more (Analytic/Intrapersonal/introverted/self-reflective?) are more predisposed to being overwhelmed? Idk at least based on the characteristics I've noticed in people who react negatively. I'm sure tolerance/being a newbie also plays an important role in this aspect.

7. Absolutely I have a friend who is the biggest wigger you'll ever meet. Now I'm not being a racist at all he literally thinks he is a white gangster. I'm ashamed to call him a friend. But I lit this kid up in good hopes every time that he won't act the same. When he gets stoned he gets #1 tired #2 agressive(almost drunk mad) #3 horny for the opposite sex and last but not least #4 he trys freestyle raps... everytime. don't get me wrong in have nothing against rap I actually like alot of it amongst other things. But when people who shouldn't freestyle, do freestyle I usually draw the line. I'm way to nice of a person to say any thing tho

8. Lol man one of my friends used to be just like that

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Haha yeah I have a buddy like that too. He can do some mad freestyle tho

10. Why should your question be taboo??? It's a valid question. Different races have different physical characteristics. It wouldn't surprise me if we all weren't alike in the number of endocannabinoid receptors and their signaling cascades and functionality. 

And the fact that you even felt compelled to hedge on asking something like that shows just how far down the rathole of ignorant bullshit this nation has gone.

[not implying here that YOU are ignorant here - just this dipshit PC society we live in]

11. Thats a tough one. I know some folks are like "Ah shit, dem white boys is high, I bet their gonna draw sharpie dicks on the first one to pass out" or "Yo my nigs is blowed,...whos goin to popeyes?". But really, it's an individual thing, man.

12. My dad is Jewish (I know, I'm not a real Jew), but everyone has feelings on paranoia and anxiety, some people just confront those feelings better than others. I think you just can't smoke anymore, as I know lots of full on Jewish stoners. It's unique to you, doesn't mean other people that you have something in common with experience that too.

13. Chill out bro, people get offended by certain things. The fact that he put that type of disclaimer at the beginning helps for people to look at the question more objectively and not as personally.

14. I have an IQ of 126 and it hits me Hella hard. Maybe the strength of the weed depends on one's own ability to process thought. Not being a racist, just a fact analyzer. The African American race as a whole gets lower test scores and seem to deal with it better. And a few of my dumb white friends seem to deal with weed better and can function. Working at a gas station in a legaljuana state, I get to see ALOT of stoners. I've noticed alot of poorly dressed caucasion and African Americans handled it smoother. And some of the more intelligently dressed blacks and whites seem to be blizted. Just a quick study from a gas station stoner.

15. #15 Tammm, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    yes, weed is not for everyone, but i am no one to claim if it's due to race/ethnicity/age/health/whatever, we are all different, and the same, we all experience life differently, and live a certain lifestyle, and are comfortable in our own unique styles, so i think that limiting the range to ethnicity is not enough, life experiences and lifestyles take a huge role in how smoking weed can affect you, the reasons you smoke weed certainly have to be considered, your maturity as well, but even with these aspects taken into consideration, smoking weed or consuming it, is always going to affect everyone differently, maybe the same in some ways, but everyone feels a certain stage of "highness", some do not enjoy it, some do not want to give it a chance, some abuse it, some use it with therapy, and it may even be worth to consider how marijuana was introduced to someone as well, because that sort of shapes our perspective and attitude on the capabilities that this plant posesses

16. I've noticed it has a noticeable effect on tolerance. In my experience, I find that Asians and Arabs have lower tolerance than whites and blacks. When it comes to the effects, I don't see any differences. Most describe the same feelings, get cottonmouth and red-eye etc...

I've read that weed can exacerbate schizophrenia in people who are genetically predisposed to it. That's about it. Other than that, it pretty much affects everyone the same.

17. I agree and well put. I feel genetics, surroundings, & experience all play a role in a person's reaction to cannabis.

18. Maybe it has a lot to do with self- awareness. You know what I mean?

19. I think it has to do with your intelligence and upbringing.

If you can't multi-task and you never been in too many serious situations, you're going to be goofy as fuck when you get high.

It doesn't matter if you're black, white, brown, yellow or green.

20. There could be different degrees of "stonedness". Maybe the qualia of an action..like being stoned is the same for everyone else. But, it doesn't seem that way in my opinion. I say that because from my experiences Ive had many different types of high. That introspective high, The I'm too high too move, the laugh at everything high, the high were you analyze everything in detail...etc.. There are many definitions of qualia, which have changed over time. One of the simpler, broader definitions is: "The 'what it is like' character of mental states. Maybe consciousness and self awareness depends on the high. I do not believe intelligence correlates on the degree of the high. Define intelligence..what I do believe is that whatever knowledge you have retained already, the weed will expand that knowledge. Not saying it makes you smarter but it allows to think from a different perspective and analyze things a lot better. Personality seems a lot do with it as well. But, my question is where did this all these psychological disorder come from, what I also am curious about is why do drugs interact with our consciousness so well? Like LSD, shrooms, marijuana, mescaline, DMT...etc. Its like another dimension inside our brains that is unaffected by physics... Blah blah blah