What size tent is optimal for 4-5 large, bushy plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ShivaJiva, Feb 9, 2015.

1. #1 ShivaJiva, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Hey everybody

I posted this question in another person's thread which is apparently not cool, so I'm asking again here.

I am in the process of sourcing everything out for my first indoor grow and I have a question about tent size/lighting. It seems like all of the information I can find goes in a circle. (eg, To estimate tent size you need to know what you're going to use for lighting, and to know what to use for lighting you should have an idea of what size your grow space will be...)

I would like to grow 4-5 plants, preferably 5. I'd like for them to be as big as possible. I will be growing in a custom organic soil mix and I plan on vegging for 4-5 weeks, or longer depending on what the dimensions of the tent allows for. I'd like for the plants to be anywhere from 3-5ft tall. The bigger the better. I will be using the SCROG method in addition to supercropping and LST. I'd like for my plants to be fairly wide to allow for as much of the canopy' surface area to be covered by light as possible. Im not yet decided on strain, but lets assume that I will be growing bushy indicas. I will be using 5gal smart-pots which measure 12" in diameter. What size tent would you recommend I go with? Lighting? I was thinking a 4'x4'x6.5ft but I have no idea if that's reasonable for 4-5 large plants. I am torn between 600w and 1000w. I'd prefer to go 1000w to maximize light coverage though from I understand a 1000w light in that small of a space can create problems with heat, but if one can successfully manage that heat your yield will be higher than it would be with 600watts. What would you recommend ?

Thanks for the help. I know this is a common question but even so I haven't been able to find a consistent answer that is applicable to me; nobody seems to be growing 4-5 large plants in a grow tent. (Or maybe my search engine skills are lacking)

While I'm at it I want to bring up another question. Considering the size of the tent that you recommend in addition to the number of plants I would like to grow, I'm wondering if I should bother investing in either an AC or dehumidifier. The perfectionist in me would like to get both so that I can have as much control over the environment as possible, but for just 4-5 plants in a small area I'm wondering if such investments would be unnecessary. What do you think? I am asking in regards specifically to function and efficiency, not cost effectiveness. In other words, could the use of either an AC or dehumidifier on a crop of this scale be beneficial, and if so in what ways? I have been saving my money for a long time so that I can have the best grow I possibly can, so cost is not an issue. I will not be ventilating out of a window (I live in a very urban area, it'd be too hard to hide), but into the room that the tent is located in. I was thinking to counteract any potential heat issues I could have an AC unit either in the room or drawing in cool air from the window. Most of this grow will be taking place in the late winter/early spring so I don't feel like temp will be a big problem.

Thanks again.

2. I grew out 4 plants that vegged for 120 days in a 4x8 tent....got pretty crowded but the yield was great!

3. Damn! I'd definitely consider that! What was your light setup?

My only concern would be that since I don't plan on vegging that long (maybe 2 months tops) I would lose out on light efficiency since there would be so much unoccupied space. Would that have an adverse effect on my plants or am I mistaken?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you happen to remember what your yield was?

4. #4 killset, Feb 9, 2015
    Want big plants, then veg longer.

5. I run 2 cool tubes at 1000 watts each with a T5HO running UVB...

6. #7 ShivaJiva, Feb 9, 2015
    My main question is taken care of so I will create a new thread for ventilation q's, thanks.