SeaMoss grows Oregon Green Seed first time indoor organic

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SeaMoss, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Listen to LLB ^

2. #22 SeaMoss, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
    I'm in limited space, so the container it has is the one it gets. I do lift the container to check, but I also dig a bit to get a feel for where its at if I think that its borderline. When I said it was invigorated, I might have been a bit dramatic with my choice of words. It just looked happier, not that it was in some state of stunting or lock until I repotted it. As for the ones under the dome, it is raised off of the tray and fan-ventilated, they are fine. I'm using the dome as a light holder/support. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind.

Here are some recent pics. I've been keeping it moderately defoliated to make sure the younger growth gets light. I lightly trim fan leaves about every four days. I'm certain that I got my first look at some preflowers on the Lily and the Sugar Cookies and both appear to be female. I'm still trying to get a good pic of what I'm seeing (hopefully pistils) so I can get a second opinion or three.

Does anyone know what the little white growths are at the old cut nodes on the stem closeup pic?

View attachment 155283
    View attachment 155284
    View attachment 155285

And the Sugar Cookies

View attachment 155291
    View attachment 155290
    View attachment 155289

Unfortunately, my Oregon Greens turned out to be a male. I'm not sure what happened to trigger that plant to start preflower, but the male preflowers showed up much earlier than any on the other plants. The were nodules on a stem, so I'm certain it was male. My Satellite Cindy is looking like it might be male as well, but I'm going to give it a couple more days to show before I toss it. I started those just three weeks ago. Any ideas? Maybe it is as fast as they say it is? I didn't have any lighting mishaps or wild temp/humidity changes. It sat around 65-75 degrees and 40% humidity for it's entire life.  

Oregon Greens (aka: Manitoba Medicine) is a very fast finishing outdoor variety, hence it showing preflowers before any of the other plants AND also why some specimens (~ 10%) will 'auto' on your indoors.

4. I was thinking that the fast genetics had most to do with it, but I would have never expected an auto! Is the satellite cindy the same way? It is showing some preflowers as well, but they just showed up and I'm not sure which it is yet.

Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure how many people get to hear from the breeders themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Or Greens is not an autoflower.  But the double helping of GG#2 in its genetics makes it want to 'automatically' go into flower on you when vegging indoors for very long. 

Because most all varieties in the OGS shop have have been selected over several generations for shorter flowering periods (< 60 days), they will typically start showing preflowers by the 3rd to 4th internode.  Males usually reveal well in advance of the females, not uncommon in most cannabis cultivars. 

6. Good to know! That should help me reduce wasted resources on plants that I'll end up throwing out.

Great work on these genetics, so far I'm a big fan. What I've got going looks and smells great.

7. I did a bit more trimming and took nine clones a couple days ago, everything looks happy and healthy to me. It recovers very quickly when I defoliate. To keep it open enough for the new stems to come in, I have to clip a few fan leaves every other day or so. Switching to flower on the 1st.

View attachment 155552
    View attachment 155551

8. Why are you defoliating? Plants shouldn't need to recover every couple days. Just try it for ten days and see if there's a difference in growth rates. Leaves are solar panels, so the bigger the solar panel is, the more energy it can process. Same with leaves. The last 3 weeks or do I've clipped off leaves right before they put on weight. You can also harvest the top nice nugs and still keep blooming out the larfy buds till they mature more. Your plants look good :)

9. I only cut off what's blocking growth that I want to come up, everything else stays. It fills back out rather fast though!

As for the buds, I was hoping to harvest for a couple weeks as the little ones finish out. This is my first indoor plant, so I'm pretty excited about switching to flower in a few days. I'll probably check the roots and maybe pot up for flowering to make sure it has room to grow as it flowers.

10. #30 ladyluckybean, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Maybe you can find a short but wide container. More room for roots but still short enough to not add height? Just a thought. I'm about to flip too!

11. Not a bad idea, I'll check out some storage bins to see if there is a size that might work.

12. #32 SeaMoss, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  13. nice strike SeaMoss :) I've been dying to plant my extra plants outdoors but it gets too cold at night still. warm days but it's a tit bit nipply for anything small and especially rooting.

14. #34 SeaMoss, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
    I'm in Portland, and where I'm at hasn't gotten below below 40 for a while now. They are in a sheltered spot that stays slightly warmer at night as well. I'll keep close watch on them to make sure they are ok. I'm contemplating saving them for July 1st, for reasons.

15. you can build a cold frame. i'm not very far from you so we should be having similar weather. i have big mom plants outdoors right now trying to flower and freaking out. some have done okay in the cold the past month but the GG#4 is rather pissed at me and i think she's done for.

16. That's no good, I hope your GG makes it!

The clones are loving the outdoors and the sun now, no pics though, they haven't changed much.

I recently moved my tent to another room and have it on its side. There is still plenty of room for the plants and I think this setup will help airflow a little better than with it upright. Everyone looks happy and healthy as well. Some preflowers are starting to emerge, but they are really small. Pics of those when I can get a decent one. Here are a few of the Lily and the new setup.

View attachment 156297
    View attachment 156298
    View attachment 156299
    View attachment 156300
    View attachment 156301

17. Your lily is looking great!! The tent surprisingly worked out well! Is the bottom exhausting? Switch it around and it will be mite efficient. I did that when I was figuring out how to set up my ventilation. Worked so much better by resting my fan in the tent. Fit well up there.

18. #38 SeaMoss, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    Thanks! I like the way she is growing too.

It is a 4x4x7 tent, so I figured it would work well this way as well.

The fan is blowing air out and fresh air is pulled from the opposite top corner. I am quite a fan of my fan... I got it and another for free at work, it was a high flow cooling fan thrown away as scrap from a CNC machine that was being upgraded. I wired it in with some wire I had and a plug from home depot. It moves a lot of air; so much that it creates a minor vacuum in the tent because the dryer vent ducting can't quite keep up with it.

19. So your tent is only four feet tall now? Definitely do some low stress training. I love my scrog! You'll have to keep an eye on it. I think it would work really well with your height constrictions.

Sounds like the perfect sized fan. Negative pressure is ok as long as your tent doesn't look like this:
    [​IMG]

20. #40 SeaMoss, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    The Lily is pretty flat as it is, I pull branches down every three days or so. I figure it will work about the same as a scrog if I keep everything about the same height. I did pull those couple taller stems down today as well, but I did it after pics.

The sides of the tent are sucked in a bit, that pic isn't too far off!

Since you mentioned the negative (low) air pressure, I have actually been wondering if I can create a simulated high-altitude environment in the tent. I should get a barometer and a UV light for experiments on one of my next rounds...