SeaMoss grows Oregon Green Seed first time indoor organic

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SeaMoss, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at growing indoors and the first grow journal that I've posted. I have a Lily Koi seed the I received extra in my order, so I figured I would give it a go. I'm also hoping that I can pull some clones from this plant too. If this works out well, I might just keep doing this. 

I have it started in a soil plug which is potted in 40% ProMix HP-M, 20% FFOF, 20% worm casting blend, and 20% vermiculite. It germinated on the Feb. 1. I recently gave it a half dose of B52, Piranha, and some Voodoo juice to see if I can make the roots really take off.

If anyone else has grown OGS seeds indoor and has some experience with them, I would love to hear it. Anyone else that has pics of OGS plants that they have grown or are growing, you're also welcome to share them in my thread. I'm also very interested in feedback on how my plant is doing, sometimes getting outside observation is really helpful.

View attachment 6846

2. Hey man, I'm growing OGS Sugar Cookies and I've had 100% germination rate. Everyone else I've seen with OGS have nothing but good things to say.

Your plant looks healthy, but appears to be stretching. What kind of lighting you using? How far away? Is that fan on?

3. #4 SeaMoss, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    I noticed the reaching in the first couple days so I raised the pot up on that saucer. It has since stopped growing up and started growing out like it should. I have it under a sunblaster t5HO. It's about 2 inches under it right now. The fan is on a timer that turns on an hour at a time a few times a day. It has a really low whisper setting that I have it set on the help the plant build some strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Looking great sea moss! Im running Mastodon in my cabinet right now and the last of the Cindys Blue Cheese i ran previously just got smoked up. OGS is awesome. I have noticed from my grow and others that OGS cultivars prefer the nutrients to be on the lighter side. Certainly your results may vary.

I vegged out 4 CBCs under a 65 watt cfl in a 2 square foot stealth box until about 4 weeks old with no problems. They too would lean toward the light. If you keep your fan on all the time, it will really improve the strength of the branches and help your plant Stay cool. That way you can get your light right on top of the leaves. Check out my journal for pics if you like

How many watts is your light? Are you going to use a bigger light for flower?

Anyways, keep up the good work. Im going to follow along if you dont mind.

5. I have heard that about their light nutrient preference, must be the hardy genes in them. I figured I would give it half doses every third or fourth watering. So far the only nutrient I've given it is that B52, the other two supplements were for the roots. My medium is pretty rich as it is, so I can probably take it easy on the nutrients when that time comes.

I believe that it is only 24 watts, which seems really low when I think about it. Anyway, I got a second light on it yesterday and it looked extra perky this morning when I left for work. I've got a third light on some canna lilies that I started from some seeds I harvested while working landscaping/gardening for my University last year. Not quite on topic, but I'm pretty excited about those too. They were taking up my second light until now. I thought it would be interesting to keep them on the same nutes and see how they do. They really like rich soil with lots of food. 

I'm going to save up the over the next couple weeks and get a 100w LED panel (Advanced LED Diamond series). I've read good things about LED grow lights finally becoming reliable and worth the money. I'll use it for flowering. I'm working on a grow frame to hang it in, pics when I finish it.

Day 18, starting to leaf out at the nodes. I'm wondering how soon I should top it... at or around six nodes, right?

View attachment 152248
    View attachment 152247

6. Those LEDs certainly have my curiosity piqued. Some people around here are doing very well with those things.

Such a healthy beautiful little baby you got there. Is it a regular seed? Femmed?

7. Thanks, it's just a regular seed. I'm crossing my fingers for a female.

8. #10 SeaMoss, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    My plant has been a little ragged looking the last few days. I was gone for a long weekend and didn't think to ask someone to water my plant while I was out. Came home to a sad looking Lily. Anyway, I repotted today and noticed that it was getting close to becoming root bound, so at least I got that one before it could add to the plant's stress. I've also noticed that the leaves have been hooking pretty bad on the ends and are now doing it all along the edges of most of the leaves. I want to blame the FFOF since it is such a rich soil, but I think my plant is big enough to handle it by now, so.... IDK.

-No nutes for the last three waterings except for 0.5 dose of VooDoo juice and Piranha when I did my transplant today.
    -Day temp is 75-77, night tempt is 68-70, humidity 45-60%
    -16/8 light schedule with daytime fan

Update: After repotting and soaking yesterday, my Lily is looking much better today. Much perkier and less curl on the leaves. 

View attachment 152694
    View attachment 152693

9. My plant has recovered well and all the new growth looks really healthy. I started training it down as well. I have a decent idea of how I will LST this plant to maximize my space and get a good yield if it turns out to be female (knock on wood). I'm hoping it will preflower soon so I can see if I need to get another seed rolling or if I will be good to go with this one. Anyway, I am always delighted to see my plants respond so quickly. It would be a shame to have to toss it if it turns out male.

View attachment 152918
    View attachment 152917

View attachment 152922
    View attachment 152919

10. Any update SeaMoss?  Did your one little 'Lily' turn out to be a 'Lillard' ?  or what...

11. Sorry guys, I've gotten really busy at work. Haven't taken much time to post updates. Anyway, the main stem broke off and I've trained out 5 branches. I'm not sure about the sex yet, I haven't checked in a few days, but I still have it in veg. I'll probably keep in there for another couple weeks while I wait for my light to get here. I also started a sugar cookies about two weeks ago, it's looking great and is growing fast! Pics when I get home later.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. #14 SeaMoss, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
    Sorry for the additional delays, here are the most recent pics. 
    I've been keeping it tied down and most older growth trimmed up to allow the young nodes to develop. My flowering light should be here next week, so I'll give it a week or so to veg under that light to acclimate it then switch to flower. I think my Lily looks pretty well for a lady (hopefully) who lost her head.

<div> View attachment 154609
    View attachment 154610
    View attachment 154611
    View attachment 154612
    View attachment 154613
    View attachment 154614
    View attachment 154615

</div>

13. I repotted for the last time today, this should take it through flower. The roots looked great. Thick and well networked, but not bound, so it should take the transition well.

I'm trying something I've seen a few people do, and that is to use perlite as mulch. I noticed that I was going through more water than I thought necessary, even for a thirsty plant. I think it had to do with the plant being in a larger enclosure and the fan being on higher. Anyway, the perlite mulch should help and I noticed that it also reflected the light back up under the canopy a bit. I'm all about efficiency.

I'm going to let it get settled into this pot for two weeks from today then switch to flower. As always, I welcome any and all input or questions.

View attachment 154888
    View attachment 154889
    View attachment 154890

14. You can blend more FFOF into your peat. Does the top soil get compacted, hard, or crusty? Try adding perlite next time :) why are you using synthetic nutes with your organic soil? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? The burn was most likely from the B52 which has higher ppms than I imagined. For an alternative, you could try Superthrive. You can get it at Home Depot. The small bottle should last a while as you only add a drop.

They don't have good innoculates like piranha. Some people like Plant Soluable Success. I have used Subculture M with good results.

The FFOF should have enough nutes to take you the whole way. Don't worry about bloom nutes. They're in there and you don't need to buy anything extra unless they show a deficiency.

How big is she going to get? If you're only growing one plant I would veg her longer. Make it worth the wait. You'll be out of pot before you harvest again. Is your space small?

How do you know your plant needs more water?? The top will dry out much quicker than the bottom. Do you lift it to feel the weight or measure 1/10th the container size?

15. #18 SeaMoss, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
    I have since changed my medium composure a bit after subsequent repottings. Its now closer to 50% HP-M, 30% FFOF, 5% additional perlite, and 5% work castings (real ones this time, not a blend). The HP-M has a good deal of perlite to begin with, so I don't really need to add much more to get where I want. I thought that the b52 was organic as well, I could be mistaken. Either way, it is the only nute I've used that may be questionable and I've used half or a quarter of the recommended dosage when I do use it. I think that FFOF was just a little hot for a young seedling.

I hadn't planned on using much of anything when I switch to flower. I want to avoid chemical tastes at all costs. I might use some bloom nutes in the future to do a side by side test, but that can wait.

I've had this plant in veg for 2.5 months with a couple mishaps, but I think that at 3 months it will be ready to go to flower. I'm really not sure how big it will get over the next two weeks. The roots have a lot more breathing room since repotting and that seems to have invigorated it the last couple days. I've got a couple plants staged in behind this one, so I shouldn't run out. Besides, these first few are test plants to see how I do. I'm bound to mess some stuff up along the way!

The water issue I was noticing wasn't so much that the plant was underwatered, but that the water I was giving it was being lost to soil surface evaporation rather that transpiration through the plant. I would check the weight of the pot and also dig a finger in about two inches down to see how moist it was. It just seemed like I was going through a lot more water that the plant was using. My biggest concern with mulching in a pot was soil contamination. I didn't want to use wood mulch that could change the ph or introduce harsh compounds/bad critters. The purpose here was to increase efficiency and I think that this might be an all around solution for that. Reduced water loss and increase in the soil surface albedo so more light is used. Just think about how bright it is on a snowy day, that's what I was going for by using perlite as mulch.

My Lily has responded very well since the repotting and mulching over, so I'll be better about keeping this journal up to date. Work though, it really takes over my life sometimes!

Pics of my Sugar Cookie as promised earlier

View attachment 154982
    View attachment 154980
    View attachment 154978

16. Add more EWC. This is what's going to make your soil come alive. With your soil mix, I would use less peat and more ffof. I would go 50/50 ffof/peat then take a measuring cup or small bucket and measure out 5 parts soil, 4 parts EWC, 1 part perlite.

FFOF is your nutrient source so you should make sure you have enough and the EWC is your work horse. FFOF isn't too hot. I've planted seeds in this mix and they loved it. The B52 is completely nitrates which force your plant to eat it causing burning. EWC break down the nutrients in the soil and release them in a plant available form so the plant can pick and choose what it wants over time. It's hard to burn unless you're using alfalfa or another immediate source.

17. Container size determines how big your plant and yeild is. You should flower in a 5 gallon or bigger usually. I put mine in flower at 2-2.5' tall which turns into a 3-4' ft plant which I train to help with height.

After repotting your plant was invigorated? Once the plant establishes roots after being transplanted it will begin upward growth. I try to transplant every two weeks. When I didnt do this, and just waited till I got around to it, my plants were stressed and would stunt. When your plants need water daily, that's a good sign you should've transplanted a long time ago.

More than two inch finger check because there's moisture down further and that can create over watering. I like to lift the pots to see how light they are.

Mulch with coco chips or hydroton if you notice the perlite getting green growth.

Lastly, are those under a dome? They need a lot of oxygen and CO2. They will never get enough under that dome. I bet they'll perk right up.

Sorry that's a lot. Just some suggestions :)