Living in your parents basement.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Space Cat, Feb 8, 2015.

1. So I'm 20 years old, I live with my parents and I've been in the same room in the same house my whole life and I've been thinking about changing it up and moving all my shit into the basement. A few reasons being,

The basement is all finished and I'd have it all to myself. There's a billiards table, dart board and air hockey table. The room down there is slightly small width wise, but longer in length. The closet is much bigger and I'd be able to put all my clothes down there without a dresser.

The basement is obviously much cooler in the summer and stays warm in the winter. Id have my own shower and bath connected to the room and my own fridge which is in our storage part of the basement.

I'd have more room to have friends over, a couch to sit on and I'd be 2 floors away from my parents so I wouldn't have to worry about making any noise at night and waking them up.

I went to home depot earlier and looked at paints and flooring, new light stuff like that and I'm really starting to like the idea more. I talked to my dad about it and he doesn't have a problem with it. Theres a ton of useless shit down there too so he'd probably okay with me cleaning all of it out.

And before anybody says I should grow up and move out. I'm employed, I have a well paying job and my dad has no problem with me still living at home while I put away money towards a house. He agrees with me that renting an apartment is a waste of money and would rather just have me save and buy a house which is what I plan to do in a few years.

So blades does this sound like a good idea and how is it living in a basement,? Not having any natural light or anything. My brother lived down there when he was my age and loved it. My dad says he doesn't like sleeping in the basement but I lived with a ex before and we stayed in the basement and I thought it was pretty nice.

2. Go for it.  Sounds good.

3. omg yeesss..do it do it do it!! :hello:

4. I wish I had a basement because that sounds dope 

5. I just turned 22 today and just moved back home I've moved out twice before and I'm living in my mom's basement now lol. I have all of it to myself and don't pay rent just pay for groceries and everything else. Go for it dude but make you get outside often otherwise you will get depressed, not having sunlight can fuck you up.

6. I'd go for it 100% I moved out when I turned 18, about to be 21 now. And I can only dream of how much money I could've saved if I waited and stayed at my moms until now

7. dude hell yeah I would do that in a heartbeat. I currently rent a house with a few friends, the basement here's pretty big and was re-fitted to have a few bedrooms. anyway one of these rooms is mine, I've lived here for about 2 years now and I dig it. a few things I've learned...

-depedning on house, humidity down there may be an issue. I got a ittle dehumidifier for like $45 online and have been very pleased with it. you may want to get a heavier duty one if its for a whole basement though. 

- get 'natural sunlight' style bulbs/lights, I have these all in my room and it lights shit up so much more than standard bulbs. a bit more expensive initially but many have very long warranties. 

8. yea we already have a large one down there.

I was wondering about that, not having any natural light or anything. does that affect your sleeping or anything? I'd probably get those bulbs but i plan to keep it dark.

So far I'm pretty set on it. I decided how I wanna style it and picked out some paint colors and laminate flooring.

9. #9 Komatic, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    You know the option to both carpet and wooden floor is there... you don't have to stick to just one dude...  :smoke:
    Also some nice exotic plants..... they change up the bad stench/air of person who sleeps and socializes in the same room. 

Edit: just to add... Dark Wood Oak.... is awesome!

10. I'm wondering why you're asking here.  Your brother did it and liked it, you live in the house now, what's left to learn?  If you're truly indecisive, try it for a few months and then if you still want to, do the renovation at that time.  FWIW I rented a basement apartment for a couple of years and while it was okay, living in the light again was a relief.  But I like looking out windows occasionally and not feeling like a mouse under the house.  If I had to I'd do it again, it's not that bad.

11. Stay there as long as you need. You're dad is onto something. Do not let any of your peers tell you how you should live your life. If anything they could take a page from your book. They may be living on their own, but you will have the last laugh when you do finally buy a house and they see how much money they have been throwing away by renting. You will ne sitting on some bank, and even more so if you buy an income property (such as a duplex) and rent out any additional living quarters. I myself did not move out of my parent's house until age 28 and that was when I finally bought my house and fixed it up.

12. Sounds great.! Plus you are going to have so much room for activities.!

13. #13 garrison68, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
    I've rented apartments for 40 years, and am very glad I never bought a house.  My wife and I considered buying one, years ago and that would have been a huge mistake.  We never have to pay anybody for repairs, no property taxes, no devaluation, etc., and most of all we have the freedom to move anytime we want, for whatever reason.  Don't dig yourself into a mortgage-based hole.  

14. Sounds awesome dude, good luck with it all. I'm currently living in a student flat, but next year I get my own place going to be hella good 

15. I've started cleaning it out yesterday. So much useless old shit I've thrown out already. Gonna try and finish it today. Will post pics later and of the transformation

16. sounds way chill

17. Sounds like a good idea to me.

18. Yea man, I envy the set up that you will soon have. It's going to be like your own little apartment (free of charge) and that's boss.

19. Sounds a lot like my set up haha. I don't mind the living with the parents but sometimes I miss having a place to call my own. I would if I was you, seems like a sweet gig if you ask me. 

20. Shit sounds so sad tho lol but go for it