GoldGrowers LED and HPS Blue Cheese DWC ScrOG

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by GoldGrower, Feb 8, 2015.

Ahh right, then yes it would normally take about a month, but ill be switching to flower at the earliest possible time so I may not fill the screen to the extent I normally do. I usually prefer to get the canopy really thick before I switch to flower but I'm running low on bud so don't want to take too long with this. It's a very fast flowering plant, usually ready at 8 weeks.

I usually top the plant a few times so it starts to bush out before getting to the screen but I won't this time. Mainly because my light is at the lowest height I can have it due to me making the ducting too short lol. So I want it to stretch up to the screen as soon as possible to be closer to the light 

2. Real quick, Do you trim under your screen at all?

I do, but only after about 2-3 weeks in to 12/12 when there is a decent thickness of canopy above the screen that will support the plant. I remove all branches that haven't reached the screen, any branches that look like they won't produce, and as many growing tips as I can find. I try to leave as many leaves as possible and only pluck them off when they start to die back on their own due to the lack of light. Until then they are still "breathing" and absorbing light so still supporting the plant's growth up the top

4. Ok, so removing everything uderneath the screen at once time is ok?

It's not going to kill the plant if that's what you are asking but I would prefer to keep as many leaves as possible because they all help feed the plant. The growing tips are what uses the food so I'd get rid of those in one go. Obviously when you take a branch then the leaves will have to go with it but for the branches that are left I'd take away the growing tips. But leave the leaves. 

Timing is also important because if you take away the undergrowth too early the upper canopy may not be big enough to support the plant for fast growth.

If all that has confused you, the short answer is yes, you can remove all the undergrowth at the same time, just be careful you don't do it too early 

6. I find when I remove all the growing tips from underneath and check back in a couple of days I spot a ton of them that I had missed the first time round. It's like I become blind to them because there are so many 

7. Thank you for the reply man. Im on my first scrog and the other day i trimmed underneath the screen takong everything. She stopped taking up nutrients and the ph dropped real fast. Since i have lower the ppm and brought ph bach up where it has stayed. But she is still not taking up much nutrients and plenty of water.... ive just been worried that i may have messed her up as i had vegged her for 3 months which would have been a bit depressing lol. Though next time ill be sure to leave the leaves on and just remove the growing shoots

Those are interesting results, I would have previously guessed the opposite would have happened. Less leaves = less transportation = less uptake of water... 
    How far in to 12/12 was it? What was the ppm at the time? Do you have a running journal? 

9. yes i do have a journal running. Its laztjitters perpetual grow in the hydroponics grow journals section. Her ppm at time of trimming was like 340 then shot up to 360ish. Dropped down to 304, later on it was 294. Checked the next morning and it was back up to 304. This morning she was up to 310....
    I talked to letter3 in his journal. He says that she should be ok. Which i do believe. I would just like a little info on what i should do or what i should be expecting/looking for. If that makes any sense.

10. Sorry man. Forgot to mention she was about 11/2 weeks into 12/12 at time of trim

That's quite a low ppm for a plant 1&1/2 weeks in to flower but if the ppm in the res is rising it means the plant is taking up a weaker solution so you have done exactly what I would have done. Ill check your journal out now and see if I can help. I suspect it will be fine though, as long as you have your top leaves above the screen its going to bounce back from almost anything. I wouldn't worry 

12. Thanks man... ive been using your threads and letters to help me along on my first scrog, i like to consider you two the gurus on here for scrogging lol. It just came time to finally ask for help.

13. We are getting there, these two little bad boys are growing pretty fast now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The EC is at 0.6 (300ppm) and dropping, so ill bump that up soon.
    The pH is at 6.1 so ill lower that next time I top up.
    The roots are really coming through now so ill top it right up either later on or tomorrow.

I quite like the white reservoir, I can see the roots much more clearly compared to the black ones 

14. Man those are some roots! Im going to have to try filling it up to the brim on my next one. Id love to have roots like that lol

When I put the two clones in the net pot they had a pretty good root base at that point. The roots got bundled up at the bottom and clay balls poured on top. This causes a sort of ScrOG type deal with the roots. So they come through the bottom of the net pot at a pretty thick rate lol 

16. Hey Gold did i show you this before?. https://deweymister.com/ looks alot like your clone set up using air instead of a pump. I use a set up system like the one you have for the clones with a pump.  I have not been able to use the dewey thing but I like its design. 

17. I cheated and bought a cloner the other day.

Lol.

I'm tired with being mr DIY

16 sites, came with all the cloning crap, discs, nozzle pump and whatever.

It's just nice and compact. I like that

18. #58 GoldGrower, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015

That's a really interesting design. I prefer my own as its a lot quieter, you have to use big air pumps with that by the looks of it. But I do like the idea. I found that the website was pretty sparse with the details so I watched this video. They would be cool to try, I'm guessing they wouldn't cost much 

http://youtu.be/cHpRcvO1UEM

Which one did you go for mate? there are a few good designs out there 

20. It's an ezclone brand ?

WP_20150307_001.jpg
    WP_20150307_002.jpg

Looks fairly straightforward.

Even appears to have a drain / outlet on the side near the bottom. Maybe for extra water or something.