GoldGrowers LED and HPS Blue Cheese DWC ScrOG

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by GoldGrower, Feb 8, 2015.

1. #1 GoldGrower, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    I'm hoping for a relatively quick turn around on this one so I won't be vegging to a huge size. Relative for a ScrOG anyway.

I have a 600w air cooled HPS in a 1.2m x 0.8m x 1.8m (around 4'x3'x6') tent. I will be using a 100x3w mars-hydro LED unit for vegging to start with. This LED draws just 170watts so it'll be interesting to see how well it performs. It's the first time I will be using this LED unit.

The blue cheese clones have just started showing roots

[​IMG]

If you want to see the cloner that I use have a look here http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1327492-rooting-clones-easy-way.html

Here's the tent, I haven't set up the DWC yet, so it's pretty early doors yet
    [​IMG]

2. Good to see you on board TL3

3. Subbed also, it'll be interesting to see how that marshydro led will work out as I have basically the same one, just not marshydro branded.

4. #5 GoldGrower, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    what brand is your one Connorr?

5. It's a Vipar LED one from eBay, pretty much the same as the Marshydro one you have (100 3w LEDs, 3 intake fans etc).

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1423481462.151440.jpg

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1423481484.141785.jpg

I heard some good reviews and needed an LED panel because my grow space Is too small for the MH and HPS because it gets too hot.

I currently have 4 pure ak seeds under it and they're doing great, 5 days from sprout and they're loving it!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1423481702.856605.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how someone with a lot more experience than me will get on with an LED close to mine, just so I know what to expect.

I saw those viper LEDs when I was pricing up the mars-hydro LEDs on eBay. I went with mars-hydro in the end because SmokeSara on here is a rep and I know if I have any issues down the line she will sort it out for me. She also gave me a great price on two units.

Those plants look good man, what hydro system are you growing them in? 

I see you have a grow journal, I'll check it out now 

7. Yeah I would have preferred to go with marshydro as I know they are better quality but money was a big factor so I had to get the vipar (like I said, I checked plenty of reviews so I knew I wasn't wasting my money though haha) but so far I don't have any problems with it, it stays nice and cool and doesn't overheat my grow room.

I have a dwc system set up but realised (as you'll know if you read my journal) that my water ppm is way to high so I need to invest in a water filter before I start using it again unfortunately.

8. #9 GoldGrower, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    This was taken yesterday.

[​IMG]

I figured it was time to put one in my DWC system but the only reservoir I have available is 145litres and I don't like filling it right up because the sides bulge when the lid is off. I have used it in the past with a separate reservoir that I use to top up so I don't have to take the lid off. But right now I don't have room for another reservoir to be plumbed in so I have opted to order a low profile 70 litre res. This will give me more height too so that's always a bonus. The downside is that I have to wait for it to be delivered. 

This is the tops of the clones. Some are blue cheese and some are tangerine dream. They are currently being lit by a 20w 6400k CFL.

[​IMG]

9. Clones look great man!

10. Thanks man, I love this little cloner of mine, I can't believe I didn't make one years ago. It has to be THE easiest way to root clones 

11. Over a week ago I ordered a new 70 litre reservoir and 3 emails later they finally reply and tell me they don't have any black ones available right now and maybe weeks before they manufacture some more. Bloody amateurs... They offered me a white one so ill have to take that and cover it with blackout plastic.

But for now ill have to make do with something else because I need this bloody started. I'll knock up a small res this evening

12. #13 GoldGrower, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    I have transferred all my clones to  small 5 litre buckets. I have 3 tangerine dreams in them, and 2 blue cheese in the same net pot. I figured it should speed up vegging a bit compared to having just the 1.

The LED might be a bit too strong for them, I reached in to switch it on and dam near blinded myself, and that was just from reflected light, not direct light. Closing my eyes did nothing lol. Anyway ill give it an hour and see how things go.

Current temperature 20.8℃ (I'm expecting that to rise a bit) 
    EC 0.5 (that's a ppm of about 250 I think)
    PH 5.3 (I'm expecting it to drift upwards) 
    2.5 litres of air per minute with 4 litres of NS (10LPM pump with 4 outlets) 
    Ionic grow
    100x3w Mars-Hydro LED (draws 170 watts) 
    a 7" circulation fan 

They look a bit ropey at the moment because they have been molested while setting up, but they should bounce back after an hour or so.

I have no idea where I will be putting the tangerine dreams when I get the reservoir for the blue cheeses 

[​IMG]

13. Unfortunately I had to steal the LED light from this grow and donate it to my tangerine dream grow. I'll be running a MH on 250watts in this tent. Stretch isn't so much of an issue because it's going to be ScrOGed anyway. I can't find my MH bulb so they may spend the night in the dark. Usually I veg 24/0. Hopefully ill find it tomorrow.

Thrips have shown themselves on these clones, I thought I had got rid of them but unfortunately not. I have ordered 50,000 predatory mites to tackle the problem

14. #15 GoldGrower, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    I got the new res in and covered it in B&W plastic to block the light. The lid I used is a black one so that's not too bad. I covered that in B&W plastic too to help keep the res cool 

[​IMG]

A few days later.....

A bit of a slow start on these two but I finally have some roots out of the pot and things are now moving along. I have changed to a HPS and set it on 400w. It will probably stretch a bit but I'd prefer it to reach the screen asap anyway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hey gg... What's that scary looking stuff under the lid in the back of the pic?

Water droplets lol, either condensing, or just collecting from splashes the air stones make 

17. It's a bit strange having just 10lpm of air in this 70 litre reservoir. It's far from ideal, but the plants are small at the moment so it will probably be ok. All my other air pumps are being used so I'll have to buy a few more soon. I do have two other air pumps but they are large and extremely loud and I'm making enough noise as it is so don't really want to use them..... But I might try it if I get problems

18. I see F & D i your future

Quiet!

I run 6-12 cycles per 24 hours

I have one 4 head 15 lpm air pump that runs stones for 3 different rezes

19. Right on GG!

Is that barneys farm blue cheese by chance?

Ill be growin some barneys farm blue cheese in june/july, which is why i asked.
    ~ poke