What is the whole point of life if life has an ending?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Mrleathaface, Feb 8, 2015.

many people would argue that your life continues within your children.
    so is it really as basic as making a bunch of kids? ... on some level yes.

however you can also influence others and therefore a part of you becomes an extension of your life. 

think about this: your personality is made up of parts of those people that have been around you... good or bad, fictional or not. some things we imagine, some we "borrow".

in that sense i think that life has no ending... until every human being is dead and our collective intellect has vanished life goes on.. once it's all gone. then i say we are done. 

2. #22 didier12, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    True but the whole concept we're discussing doesn't change, because as like you say there will eventually be an end to the human race, so what's the point of the human race if it's going to end anyway?

3. #23 freethinker, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    What did you do to be born here?  What did you do to earn this existence your currently in?  You didn't do anything, it was an act of grace.  Meaning is assigned from whatever societal norms are taught to you in your particular environment.  "Normal" is just a human label or an 'agreed upon' manipulation of sounds coming out of people's mouths to explain things external of themselves...nothing more than that. 

Your free to do whatever you want because "normal" doesn't actually exist.  It's made up.  Will there be consequences for your actions?  Yes, but whatever labels you assign to those consequences that come out of your actions will also ultimately be fictitious.  Knowing this consciously is true freedom and a realization of this great gift of life for which we've done nothing to earn. 

Your not a tree, you have legs and you can go from place to place.  You don't operate like a tiger, just looking to hunt and reproduce to move on your genes and evolve (not completely).  Your experience is actually 'known'!!  What could possibly be more intriguing than this?  You know your experiencing... how AMAZING is that??!!  If this simple fact is not amazing to you, then you need to take the time to think about this rationally and understand what's actually going on here...

4. To accept the absurd.

i didn't say that it will eventually come to and end. 
    i don't believe there is such a thing as an end of all existence... and tbh, i'm not interested in figuring it out.
    for now i can focus on my life, those close to me...  and the very meaningful moments that happen all the time. 

6. Well you did when you said this "in that sense i think that life has no ending... until every human being is dead and our collective intellect has vanished life goes on.. once it's all gone. then i say we are done."  However sounds like you're living your life in an enjoyable and healthy way, so kudos.

fair enough, but i meant *if* that were to happen... to me that concept is so distant that my head would explode if i tried to think through possible ramifications of that :)

(and lately i'm trying not to think too much)

cheers

8. #28 burnabowl288, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    Death is not an ending, but more of a transition from the physical to the spiritual world. I believe that your spirit must grow and that you will continue to reincarnate at specific points in time in order to grow certain aspects of your spirit. This is why I believe some people possess more virtue and peace while others promote violence and immorality.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. #29 disturbedfuel15, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    It is a test to see if you believe death is the end.  I'd rather die believing in a higher power and possibly be wrong than die believing it is the end and be right.

10. The point of life is to fill those small quick moments in life with things worth living for and moments worth remembering . And a legacy of such love and kindness that live past you for generations . ^_^ ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424381290.523346.jpg

*Follow your heart , load the bong , spread the joy because life is short . Don't judge just love*

11. First, where the human body will eventually die, I believe the soul is infinite

It simply moves to another experience which might be here (reincarnation) or incarnate elsewhere- another planet, galaxy, universe, dimension

12. For me, I believe life's point or meaning is whatever we make of it.

13. The point of life is reproducing and dying -- so to say, I guess there is no point.

But, a better question is, what's the point of YOUR life? My life is about learning, expanding my mind, and trying to make the world a better place for all of the people that have yet to be born, and all of the life that's sustained on the planet. I think that when I die, that will be it for me. No second tries. But, I don't need a second try. And I want to prevent others from living a life where they wish for a second try.

14. I think that point of life is to make some sort of beneficial impact on others lives. Leave the world a bit better than when you came into it.

15. Make your mark while you live. Consider yourself lucky you live in such a time period.

16. Im going to be really blunt rn and say life is just about reproduction. You were placed on this earth to reproduce. As terrible as that sounds its true. In life you can do things to help the world around you but life is about reproduction and carrying on the human race

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. There's absolutely no point.

The conditions on this planet allowed for life to grow and prosper. It's been about survival all along.

Tiny mutations in each and every creature puts them ahead of the herd. They get to reproduce and whatever strength their offspring has (usually the same as the parent) increases their chance of survival.

Hundreds of thousands of generations and you'll have a creature who carries the strength of its ancestor in its DNA. Some are fast, some strong and some are smart. Like us.

There are different levels of intelligence. And we're on top. Now our intelligence has reached a point where we ask moot questions.

Like "what's the point of life".

What's the point of the birds life, or the dog, or the crocodile. They don't have a special purpose.

So why should we?

We're equal to all other creatures. We have the same instincts, same cravings etc.

Survive. Have a baby. Die... the end.

Or you could believe an omnipotent force that has always existed got bored and created us and then decided to wait a few thousands of years before giving us vague, ambiguous texts that we have to follow otherwise he'll torment us for all eternity by inflicting physical pain, an ability (feeling pain) he gave us so that we can avoid danger but now he's using that function to punish us for not believing the few select people he sent to give us "the message" those being less elaborate than the philosophies of the ancient Greeks.

Pick one.

18. Would you ever start something that could never be completed?

------

19. #39 VaWaveRider, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    If life didn't end, what would be the point? Everything would get boring and we'd all be miserable after awhile. Anyway, I'm off to get a cup of tea. Somehow my tea is extremely satisfying to me even though I know that the tea will not last forever. Imagine that. 

If it makes you feel any better, Science is unlocking the keys to uploading consciousness. People will indeed have the capability to live forever when this happens, sort of. I think that once this happens, they'll still be limited by the life span of whatever system/hard drive it is uploaded to and making sure that no problems occur within the system. After all, what people call the "soul" is simply the specific pattern of your neuronal network. It's what makes you...well...you.  

20. Materialists believe in a cause and effect reality.  So if your current ongoing constant experience is somehow an effect of something, what's the cause?  Your consciously aware of a physical reality, so 'what' exactly is aware of this physical reality?  Seeing doesn't know what's seen, it's just seeing and shaping light.  Thoughts can't validate or become aware of themselves, in other words, thought can't think itself.  There must be something for which all of these senses appear to.  Look deeply at your experience and find out..  

"I, the light of pure Knowing, am the experiencing in all experience." -Rupert Spira