Mimmi’s Mystery 1st Grow Experiment

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MileHighMeems, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Jax is making sure to guard the stash while I'm checking in. Who got the cutest little puppy guard dog?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427295916.635782.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427295941.870977.jpg

The smell is not there yet, and since I'm not sure how its not supposed to smellw, I'm just hoping it'll improve and I'm checking in on the buds and open the jars several times a day. May have rushed the drying, so don't want any mold to have a chance..

2. Great job on the first grow, Meems. I'm excited to hear the final yield and smoke report. IMO, the dry seemed a bit quick, so you'll probably need to cure for a few weeks in those jars before you get a good smell/taste. Nonetheless, very well done - looking forward to seeing how your next cycle goes.

3. I missed the first grow but I am subbing up for the next one! This latest run was quite stunning, the training you did on opening her up reminds me of how I train my plants! Great job! Earlier in the thread you were worried about whether or not bending the plant would stress it out. When ever you bend a plant an Auxin is created by the plant which will focus on developing more "colas" instead of the lower side branching. So the trick is to get the initial dominant top pulled down so lower side branching can catch up. With some luck dominance is spread over several or more main tops. You can also try using Coconut Water or Corn Sprouts in your waterings for the Cytokinin content. Zeatin, which is the Cytokinin found in high levels in both Coconut water and Corn sprouts and will help tremendously w/ this both at the root tip & growth tips. Have been doing this with 1/2cup Fresh Young Thai Coconut water per gal for a little over a year now and have been blown away by the results!!

As for the timers, I had this exact problem when I first started out! My lights would just stay on or wouldn't come on at all. So what I did was started using digital timers for my lights as I found they are more reliable. Now I use the 15min on off ones to control my intake/exhaust fans to come on and off. You can find a good power strip timer at Home Depot for 20$ if you have one near you. Picked up mine and it works great, also has a battery just in case any issues arise.

1427299183292.jpg

1427299195134.jpg

Strips on the left are controlled by the timer and the ones on the right are regular plugs. So I have my lights hooked up to the timer on the left and my oscillation fans on the right for moving air around the room and also plug my work light for doing work when plants are sleeping.

Garden is looking mighty fine tho! Keep up the great work and congrats on your new winnings! Can't wait to follow them along!

HTH!

4. That's the same power bar I use. It's a must lol

I agree that it was a quick dry,  and not on purpose! So I'm making sure to air out the jars often. I can smell a nice hint of the beautiful aromas I smelled during flower, so fingers crossed in a few weeks... :)

Thanks for coming in here with awesome advice! [​IMG]  I just looked at your grow, but am gonna have to take some time to check it out, you're very thorough!! I'm definitely seeing how LST is a brilliant way of gently training your plants, I think I'll be focusing a lot more on that this time. I'll be posting some pictures shortly of the new plants in veg. 

Running out to find this timer TODAY, more than a few people are recommending this so I hope Home Depot has it in stock.  Maybe a silly questions, but the half of the power strip that is controlled by a timer, it's all on the same timer/time schedule correct? I can probably use a non grouded regular timer in the non-timer part of the power strip if anything.  

7. #87 MileHighMeems, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    Grow #2 has moved in to tent life under a 400w MH bulb and loving it! I can't keep the lights close at all, and seriously considering a cool-tube, but I'm not quite sure if it'll work out the way I want. The duct fan I have is really loud, and my tent is in the bedroom, so at this point it's really inconvenient to have it on even, but I'm sacrificing... :) 

Using loop stakes now in the beginning to LST

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427306703.141269.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427307897.672819.jpg

They perk up quickly after having been pushed to the side  lol

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427306751.808903.jpg

Left: Meems Mystery mama, which I had topped some time ago, and accidentily 'broke' the "V" while trying to LST, but taped her up with some medical tape.  I don't know my strength sometimes.. lol  [​IMG] 
    Back Row: 3x Denver Durban Kush 
    Front Row: 1x Meems Mystery, 2x Durban Diesel 

/Meems

8. Haha yeah I have been told my OCD shines thru my grow quite well lol, but thank you!

LST is really simple honestly once you get into it and get the swing of the pressures to apply. While your at Home Depot look around for a roll Velcro stripping that act as plant ties, should only be like three bucks.

1427339333975.jpg

Then all you do is similar to how your doing with the metal stakes, once they get bigger and are past the pots rim. Just bend the dominant top over to the area you want it and attach it to the rim of the pot.

1427339478348.jpg

Notice the growth on the right of the velcro tie, the dominant top got pulled over and over time the growth came up and formed the new top. You can keep training it and filling in the canopy however you would like, or however much the plant will allow haha.

1427339398894.jpg

Now I use the Velcro as it is very soft on the plants and if there is a large stem developing, instead of constricting the growth and pinching the plant. The Velcro will actually pop open and let the stem loose and give the stem free access to keep developing. Then all you do is re-adjust it around the stem with some breathing room and all fixed! Its also really easy to attach to my fabric pots.

I tried using the metal stakes one time and the coating on the metal got eroded and started causing issues to the plants. So I just stick with the Velcro.

Now once the plant gets bigger and perhaps you want a super monster to fill a 2x4 tent ;D. You can just pull the tops down further and get an idea of where it will be positioned.

1427339381077.jpg

Since your using the plastic pots you can snag a few large paper clamps and attach them to the rims of the pots. Then just put the Velcro thru the metal loops and attach the other side around the plant.

1427339363363.jpg

1427339347291.jpg

Then you can just train the plant all over the place! As for the timer, yes the set on off time can be programmed to do either every day of the week the same. Or you can program up to 7 different things to do on this or that day, its very user friendly and has a good manual it comes with. All 8 plugs are grounded so if you used and non-grounded timer on the "no-timer" side. I'm sure you could do that no problem, the whole strip is rated for no more than 1800w I believe. Not sure if you have gone yet but here is the package you will be looking for.

1427339323055.jpg

Plants are looking really good! Can't wait to see them bounce back from the training! They always fill in so well! That Denver Durban Kush sounds really interesting, so I am excited to follow her along!!

9. So with some Swedish curse words and a heavy hand, my timer is working again!!! Yes, super unstable, but shoots it buys me a couple days to have to go to Home Depot  (and yes I will definitely look for those velcro ties!!)  

They've been on 24/0 until now, but since the tent is in the bedroom, I just cant have that noisy fan going all around the clock anymore, plus the tent gets kinda hot when zipped up with no fan out, so 20/4 it is!  

Probably should have planted in 3gallon pots from the beginning, because that's where I'm planning on ending up. Fabric pots of some sort, SmartPots are expensive, so I'm exploring cheap alternatives. Want to transplant soon so I can do more LST over a greater area of the pot.. 

The Denver Durban Kush [Denver Poison x Burmese Kush] is going to be the most fun to see the outcome of! These (non-feminized) seeds were gifted to my husband (a vet) at a Grow4Vets event in Denver, and so far I haven't found anyone talking about this strain, except for a short description on the seed banks website. 

/Meems

There ya go, just like the old electronics, have to smack some life back into them! haha xD

Honestly, I ran 24/0 veg times for 4 years straight. Then recently I switched back to 18/6 and the plants performed much better and the growth rate was much faster! So if your also looking for some peace and quiet you could set the 6hr off time to the time you normally go to sleep.  

After reading this article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120701191636.htm

I did a test taking clones from the same mother, planted at the same time in the same soil given the same things etc. Only difference is one was planted into a 1gal pot the other into a 7gal No-Till pot. I was already planning on moving from 7gal pots to 10gal pots but after reading the article and seeing the results from the test I decided to move up to 25gal pots! 

Here is the GSC in the 1gal pot, need to transplant her into a larger pot and train her out for the larger plants I like. So I am looking at another month and a half veg time before I can flip her:

IMG_20150326_185748_2731.jpg

Here is the GSC in the 7gal No-Till pot, she is ready to be top dressed with some castings and sent to the flower area! Same amount of time vegged, yet saved me so much time in the long run by simply putting it in a bigger pot from the start. Hard to get her all in one shot haha:

IMG_20150326_185853_7231.jpg

IMG_20150326_185914_0441.jpg

I completely understand about the Fabric pots being way too expensive! Especially seeing as how I just had to pick up ten 25gal Fabric pots & still need to grab another ten! I did find a really great price though and it saved me a small fortune. This is where I got my Fabric pots from that I will be using here soon:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-boxer-brown-fabric-pot-longest-lifespan/fabric-pots

They are very well made, stitching is thick and good, overall thickness of the pot is much better than I expected. I have Smart Pots and GeoPots, these Brown Root Pouches are almost just as thick as the GeoPots and much thicker than a Smart Pot. So over all I am very happy as I have been using my Smart pots for over 4 years with no issues.

However, your recent success with your Swedish handy work may have you more interested in a approach like this, haha:

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/204644-diy-fabric-grow-pots-cannabags-made-eco-felt.html

All you would have to do at that point is check around your local fabric stores for black out fabric/felt. With any luck you may be able to make an endless supply for super cheap!

Wow, sounds like you have quite the gem there then! Going to have to browse around and see if I can find any helpful info on the DDK, which seed bank is it out of? Now I am really excited to see what the outcome is as I rather enjoy the Durban Poison cultivars! My GSC is very Durban Poison dominant & I love it!

11. Bigger the roots better the plant. Have you finished any GCS yet pharmer? I was smoking some the other week. Very nice stuff.. probably an arm and a leg for the seeds though.

12. Yeah man (hope you done mind me posting this here Meems) here is a link to my thread:

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1348187-pHarmer's-Sustained-Organic-Living-Adventure-w/-HiLEDs

Been running this GSC for a little over 2years I believe, started my thread off with some Harvest shots. Also getting ready for another chop so the newer posts have some good pictures as well. A buddy had purchased the seeds and just wanted me to grow them out. He paid $150 for 12 seeds out of BCBD. Had 3 different variations one was crap, one was a strong OG kush, then the one I kept was very Durban Poison in all of it's characteristics. Kept her around ever since, mainly because I was working out a few kinks in my grow and needed a solid plant to base changes on.

Can't say it is a favorite tho, for as much as it is hyped it could be a lot better! Excited to start running different cultivars and find some favorites. Just started flower of a Bodhi Seeds Pura Vida, it is a Hollywood Pure Kush x Appalachia. The Hollywood Pure Kush is made up of a Hindu Kush x Indica, while the Appalachia is a Green Crack x Tres Dawg. So there is some interesting genes in the mix, first time flowering her out so I am excited to see what happens!

13. Ill have to take a peek at your thread for sure. (meems wont mind, shes down for the cause)

GSC was hyped up large! I actually am just finishing some MK Ultra.. it blows the GSC out of the water imho. I have 12 707 headband seeds from BCBD I have still yet to pop. As for Bodhi, dude they are no joke. Seriously good genetics coming out of that breeder.

14. Good chance those seeds a majority will show. If they do not show I'd say you have at least a 75% or greater chance of the seeds carrying the herm trait, with the being selfed. A stable environment in ideal conditions (under normal circumstances you want stable conditions in ideals ranges) can mask these traits. I take cuttings from healthy plants for potential moms. then use several methods when running unverified seeds to stress the plants in veg and early flower. Bringing undesirable traits to the surface early for elimination. The remaining at harvest should be true females. Just as in a m to f pairing a male who flowers faster will pass on those fast flowering traits. A later stage herm may produce a few "fem" seeds. If this late stage herm is paired to something stable you decrease the chance of herm. If selfed it will increase the chance.

15. Do you care to elaborate on what methods you use to eliminate any bad genetics. Im starting a SoG ans would love to be able to choose the best for mums.

16. I use a few different stressors. Minor heat stress. Light instability, nutrient deprivation, (wait to transplant, let them become slightly rootbound). I then transplant to s.s., let it settle in new rich soil and let things flower with only higher temperatures than I normally run for 3 weeks. Finally I over flower them by about a week(scoped).

17. P.s. Plants are kept in ideal environment until I am able to take healthy cuttings. Then the abuse can occur to seed plants. Future clones are taken from healthy clone mothers rather than the abused seed plant.

18. in addition, the environmental factors may cause your plants to express different structurally due to the stress. I would base your Sea of green selection off of the structure of the unabused plants rather than the first round. I'm also looking to do a sog soon, dialing everything in for it as we speak.

19. Thats what ended up happening. My next mum will be from a fem seed. Only have one so hope it's a keeper!

20. #100 Buffalo11024, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    If reversed correctly and a true fem seed you should be pretty safe. What they are doing reversing a plant is blocking the receptors for hormones that allow a true female to express with female organs. This forces them to express with male organ containing female pollen. If the breeder did not do an adequate selection before reversing, then things could go bad. Would be more worried if the genetic is coming from an unstable clone only like the reports on cookies I keep hearing. think about it this way. A man using testosterone/steroids for an extended period may develop feminine features at some point due to inability to produce or process it on their own. Because they have tits and a voice like mike Tyson does not mean they are not in fact male.