Why are we not talking about vaccines?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Knitting Mama, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Maybe so that's the only vaccine I have MMR/Mumps/Rubella which I had no choice in! like I said I'm only a chef with slight knowledge. My interpretation just from what I learnt from college and worked out for myself. Who knows really what all this will bring I just don't see a long term positive from it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

2. I don't like flu shots. They give em away for free at the local CVS phamacy but i don't like em. What is it that they are injecting into my body and how will it affect me?

3. I'm vaccinated for major diseases.

Don't bother w/ the yearly influenza shot though. I'm a beast...flu doesn't have a prayer here [​IMG]

4. that's because the long term positive already happened.

You don't live in a world where those diseases are widespread anymore. You take it for granted.

You don't even realize how lucky you are, so its natural to be skeptical

-Yuri

5. See, I was going to come in and address each of these new posts, but Yuri said it all for me, and with much less snark.

6. I've never had one, and I've never had the flu. They're bullshit man, just another thing to make us poor and keep us distracted from what's really going on in the world

7. man people who think vaccines are some government bigpharma scam make me SMH...
    after doing a college research paper on the safety of vaccines and the anti-vaxx movement i honestly think parents should not be able to send their kids to public school if they havent vaccinated their kids.

as far as i know, i'm up to date on my vaccines and got my flu shot about 3 weeks ago. BF's nephew had the flu and was around me a bit a few times and I'm still fine :p

if you have insurance, flu vaccine is usually free. some college have free vaccine clinics if you are a student. there's vaccine clinics all the time that give out vaccines for free or super cheap. uneducated people need to stop complaining!

8. I don't get the flu shot because I'm young and healthy and it's not necessary for me. If I do get the flu I usually bounce back in a couple days.

As far as other vaccines go, I am happy to have been vaccinated. If/when I have kids, they will be getting all their regular vaccinations, except maybe not flu shots unless my doctor seems to think its necessary.

9. #150 *guest, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

I used to feel the same way because I didn't consider the fact that when you're young and healthy, you're not getting the flu shot for you. You're doing it for everyone you come in contact with who might not be young and healthy.

In fact I may have had a conversation about that earlier in this thread, can't remember. :p

10. In the begining God made vaccine. God so loved the world, he gave them Vaccines so that they may not perish, but have ever lasting life.

11. I see you've never had influenza. Usually lasts longer than a few days, and it's fuckin hell even for a young guy with a good immune system.

12. Thats for them to worry about :bongin:

Seriously though ive never gotten a flu shot and ive never had the flu. Other vaccination might be necessary i dont know but i know the flu shot is pointless unless you have kids or are around them which im not and dont plan on it.

13. I don't think people realize how shitty it is to contract influenza. Mostly because they've never experienced. I get vaccinated yearly just to give me a little chance of avoiding it, also it helps build decades long immune responses to the strains you've been vaccinated for in the past.

14. I think a lot of people confuse the common cold with influenza. Once they've experienced it they will know. When I was in college I contracted a lovely strain nicknamed, "bone-breaker" flu (not to be confused with Dengue Fever). I actually thought my back was broken. The pain was excruciating. I hope I never run across that one again.

15. Its possible, ive literally never had it so i dont know how shitty it is. I do know that ive never had a flu shot and never gotten it so im doin something right. Personally i dont trust what docotors recommend its all about money to them they dont care about the people. Thats the cynic in me

• Like Like x 1
  16. last time I got the flu shot was in 2000. Had maybe 2 flus since.
    I see it beneficial for people with weaker immune systems. Not everyone needs vaccines.

Today, you couldn't pay me to get a flu shot.

17. i was just informed that my next job site requires a flu shot. I'm a foreman for a commercial construction masonry contractor. We're starting a brand new hospital. I could see if it was an addition to an active hospital. This is a brand new build though. The hospital is requiring the shot tobe able to work on their property even thought there's no patients.

18. I used to work extensively with homeless people and as a result, i contracted a variety of sicknesses. The worst of them was just absolutely fucking horrible; my girlfriend at the time literally thought i was dying, so did i. Spent probably like 72 hours in the bathtub in a 5 day span, had a paralyzing shock of pain every time i swallowed. Could not drink water. If i was lying in bed, my bed would be soaked in under 10 minutes, it was just useless to even be in the bed in the first place, hence all the time in the bath tub. It was kind of funny, because the only thought that really even kept me going and hopeful was the thought that some homeless guy had dealt with this same sickness in the dead of winter, without a home, food or anything.

Mother fuck that noise, if i have a chance to get a vaccine, i take it, no question.

19. I haven't gotten the flu shot since I was a kid and I haven't gotten the flu in yeeaarrrsssssss