Why are we not talking about vaccines?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Knitting Mama, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Did you get your flu vaccine this year?  Why/why not?

If you have kids, do you get them vaccinated?  Why/why not?

Are you confused by all the stuff in the media about vaccines and whether they work or are safe?

2. #2 Buffalo Beano, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    I can see this not ending well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. What's to talk about?

Vaccines are a triumph of medical science. They prevent horrible diseases and have virtually no side effects.

Why did I not get a flue shot?

Because I'm lazy/poor and don't think its necessary

-yuri

ABSOLUTELY NOT

and I will tell you why!

it's cuz i'm lazy 

5. Maybe how to make them better?

Reduce the toxins in vaccines, create a better vaccine schedule, discontinue government fast tracking to name a few things that could help.

And instead of the government forcing people to get vaccinated, how about they listen to the growing number of people with concerns and do something about it.

6. Some vaccines are necessary.
    Some are not.
    Newborns get shot with an unbelievable amount of vaccines.
    One is including a hepatitis B shot which is contracted from oral and anal sex.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Buffalo Beano, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    Hep B is actually transmitted through any bodily fluid, so blood transfusion, any kind of sexual contact and birth. But if the mother does not have Hep B then there is no way the baby would contract it.

You are right though. Many of the vaccines are not needed especially for an infant.

America spends more in healthcare than any other country, vaccinated more than any other country, and yet still has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world.

In the developed world, that's a pretty important distinction. There are also problems with that data because of differences in what is considered a live birth and contributes to the infant mortality rate. 

Here's an article that goes into it a bit

9. I'll tell you what I'm going to give you Jane. I'm going to give you tell the count of 10 to get your ugly yellow no good keister into a doctors office before I pump your guts full of vaccine.

Utilize your health insurance you filthy animal.  

10. #10 Knitting Mama, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015

:laughing:

The government doesn't force anyone (except military personnel) to be vaccinated.  It is a requirement, for the most part, to attend public school, but public school isn't mandatory, and if you don't wish to be part of a public health solution, there's always homeschooling, online public school, private school, and some charters.

There really aren't a lot of "toxins" in vaccines.  I'm curious what, specifically, you have a problem with.  Perhaps I can answer those concerns.

What do you see as being problematic in the CDC schedule?  What would you propose as an alternative, and why?  There is a lot of thought and research put into the CDC schedule, with many factors considered, including rates of uptake, optimal response (some vaccines are more effective at certain ages), and patient/parent compliance.

Which vaccines do you believe to be unnecessary?  I don't believe I need the yellow fever vaccine, for instance, because I'm not going to be traveling anytime soon to anywhere that I might be at risk for yellow fever.

See below, re hep b.

WRT the bolded, those three things do not share a causal relationship.  If you delve into the factors used to calculate infant mortality, you will see that the US's infant mortality rate is not related to immunization rates.  And how high our healthcare expenditures are has very little to do with vaccination programs.  Vaccines are cheap, and not terribly profitable because they prevent illness.

Regarding why we give the Hep B vaccine at birth, this is a pretty good article, that lays it out in layperson-accessible language:

Why Infants Should Receive the Hepatitis B Vaccine at Birth

• Like Like x 1
  11. Meningitis B vaccine is now available, wish that was around when I was born, life would be a hell of a lot fucking easier, government need to make that mandatory. :)

12. No the government is not currently forcing people to be vaccinated but that is the direction it is headed. There are some states currently discussing bills that would only allow religious exemptions or make it very difficult for philosophical exemptions. Also, in 2007-2008 Rick Perry made it mandatory for all 16 year old girls to receive the HPV vaccination. Families that refused the vaccine were threatened with legal action. The public made such a big deal about it that Rick Perry's decision was overthrown and he later said it was a mistake. So the government overstepping boundaries is not unheard of.

In regards to there not being many "toxins" in vaccines, do you not consider Mercury, aluminum,formaldehyde toxins? I Certainly do.

My problem with the vaccine schedule is that, for one thing, many of the vaccines simply aren't needed. And I'm not convinced the aggressive schedule as it stands is good for babies even though it's considered "safe". The solution would be to eliminate the vaccines that are not needed, and spread them out to give the body time to recover.

My comment about America spending the most on healthcare was not in regards to vaccines specifically but in regards to public health in general.

the level of toxins you get in a vaccine will do a body no harm.
    and the mercury is not the type that accumulates in the body.

so all these "shocking" findings that there is 25 thousands times more mercury per milligram in vaccine than in drinking water are simply ridiculous. you don't have 8oz - 32 oz of flu shots a day (unlike water). so the comparison is pretty strange.
    not to mention scientifically inaccurate: http://www.decodedscience.com/ethyl-methyl-mercury-difference/25234/2

still some vaccines are unnecessary. i agree with that.
    but we have all the information we need to make rational decisions.
    http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#t1

It's not like they put that stuff in there just for funsies. If you know of other equally effective options then hey I'm sure a lot of people would love to hear it. :p 

Lab tech 1: Dude cmon, the beaker of mercury is right there, put it in a few doses, see what happens.

Lab tech 2: Shit why not? Oh hey there's formaldehyde here too!

16. #16 fromTheOldCountry, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015

Lol techs, no researcher with a master or higher, or working on a master. And yes the risk of autism is likely much greater and there is greater correlation with immunizations than anything else, but that being said the alternative is deformity, reduced quality of life and length of life, and death. People who do not know history seem to quickly forget the two major historical outbreaks of disease, first the Black Death which ushered in an entire era of darkness and we actually went backwards for a moment in society. And the Spanish Flu of 1918, which was the same H1N1 virus still around today, just mutated to survive our immune system, like they do every year.

You think life is harsh with the diseases we have now? Imagine what it would be like if simply going to school or work got you sick with a deadly disease.

It is a double edged sword currently and it is a shame what we have created, and the only solution is to figure out how to resolve all this. We can sit around kicking ourselves for bringing this on ourselves or we can fix it.

17. The mercury in a lot of vaccines are directly linked to the rising rate of autism in children. Some parents even swearing up and down their children were born without autism.

18. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. #19 Buffalo Beano, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    The rise is autism may or may not be linked to vaccines. More than likely it's an accumulation of various environmental concerns.

That's a problem though, that everybody focuses on autism. Neurological damages are a known side effect of some vaccines though. As is muscular damages, paralysis, yards yada yada. Basically reads like most pharmaceuticals.

Jane if I knew an alternative to some of the ingredients in vaccines I'd be a rich man!

20. I'll get the last laugh against vaccine truthers when their kid gets sick.