Second grow attempt. Brand new grow tent.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Vource, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Hey guy's,

Well I'm back with another grow attempt, and to be quite honestly it is turning out well (or so I believe).

I had a couple question's basically;
    When should I start to trim my plant for optimal growth?
    And if it is mature enough, what would you guys recommend I trim? (Will include pictures below)
    Should I start nutrient's?
    And last but certainly not least how does my baby look?
    (Its bag seed, to me it looks awesome)

Well here's for the photo's, I'll post of my plant, ferts, and basic setup. (Excuse the ugly setup currently cannot purchase any quality grow lights at the moment. Currently using cfl's.

Pics in the attachments below.

More info:
    -Bag seed.

-Growing under 4 x 42 watt 5500K Daylight CFL's (1600 lumens / light 6400 Lumens output total).

-Tent size 3x3x6+1/2 feet.

-Normal gauge readings: 50-70% Humidity. Steady 28 celcius.

-Original substrate consisted of
    2 cups Tropical plant/lizard substrate,
    1 cup crushed, dried, and baked egg shells,
    Filled rest of 3 gallon pot with growers choice germination soil, NPK content: 0.0 - 0-1 - 0.0

**stem elongated to far as seedling so rest of pot filled with growers choice potting mix NPK: 0.18 0.12 0.15

so far to me it looks as though I have a strong little trooper, and hey if it's a male hash and oil here we come haha.

Please leave any questions/comments below I'd love the feedback!

Cheers!
    ~Vource

Attached Files:

2. #2 MrBelvedere, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    She looks perfect! Yes you can start nutes, make sure you PH is perfect. What do you mean by trim? Do you want to top it? No need to cut off the fan leaves until you get closer to harvest. You can take some clones when it gets bigger, that way you have some more to grow and fill up your bloom room. Good work!!!

3. That's really the only problem I've faced is that currently I'm unable to obtain a ph meter but from what its looking like my normal water pH sits perfect, I'm basically letting hot water cool down for a couple days as not to be to neutral but still a little acidic, also have my hot water tank at its highest temp.

Another thing is, I've used blood meal before and to say the least it killed the plant. I even had a tomato plant older than this that was killed by the blood meal, so I'd guess to try 1/4 strength this time?

Also of the fertilizers above what should I start using now?

4. Any more advice on things I should now be doing with my baby? I want her to bush out widely with a couple of nice dense top colas preferably. I've heard of topping and have seen videos but in all honesty I'm scared to top her, as my last attempt at growing wasn't successful and I do not want to fuck up this grow in any way as I am learning how to grow medically for my father who suffers from manic depression and PTSD/Anxiety so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,
    -Vource

5. #5 MrBelvedere, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    Hi Vource, none of the nutrients you have are optimized for the vegetative stage. You want a fertilzer with "NPK"  numbers like 5-0-1

The first number "5" indicates Nitrogen. You want this number to be high, and the second two numbers to be low as possible. The 6-9-7 you have is good for vines, not MMJ. You need to purchase new nutrients that have 

Vegetative stage:  5-0-1
    Bloom stage: 1-4-7

In other words, during veg stage you want highest concentration of nitrogen! Hope it helps bro. If you cannot find it locally order it online. If budget is not a problem, use Pure Essentials Black Label, they are excellent.

For MMJ and PTSD I recommend try  finding a high CBD strain. Expecially a clone named "AC/DC" whichi has a 20:1 CBD:THC ratio and will not cause your dad to "get high". However what strain you have may work great already for him! I am just suggesting diversifiying your strains so you can find the perfect one for him.

At any rate, find some nutes especially made for vegetative stage, high in nitrogen and low in P and K.

The blood meal you have is only good as an amendment. It does not contain the full spectrum of trace minerals you need for veg state. 

Once she is growing nicely with proper fertilizer, then you can top it without fear. 

Hope that helps bro! 

6. don't over kill, if ur in good potting soil, ur good thru veg with a bump or two of nutes if needed. h20 needs to be near 7 ph. the girls are a pretty carefree group.  

7. Some nice soil will last plants that size in a good pot 1-2 months. As the nitrogen gets used up the leaves turn brighter green. it has to much nitrogen when they turn dark green(Unhealthy looking). To make it more confusing we are adding in a PH nutrient uptake scale. And if that wasn't enough: We also have to worry about salt build up from leftover fertilizers(Not so much in organic).

N Veg
    P All around
    K Flower

Cal : The human body is similar with cal/mag uptake. 
    Mag : If the body gets calcium it also needs magnesium to get it.
    B12 : Mmm vitamins every once in awhile 

K booster for flowering
    N Some strains need it for flower contrary to popular belief.

PH DWN: [Acid] Lemon, urine, pine needles(cut up)

Neutral PH: Boiled purple cabbage stock can be used to calibrate 7.0 PH or test soil or feed with.

PH UP: Dolomitic lime 

*Dont move more than 1-2 on the PH per 24hours

Sweetener: Molasses? fruit?

Healthy root: Live active beneficial bacteria

Bug/pest control: cheap dish soap(1tsp per quart max) and neem oil treatments.

Sleep: 12/12 keep the dark DARK and the sleep scheduled consistent. Lights 11/13 for tropical strains and late flower sativas to induce flowering.

Ph fluctuate to much? Get a ph stabilizer.

Trim: Never. Plants use all their leaves and even the bad nasty ones serve a purpose of ridding plants toxins. The ONLY time you cut off a leaves is if it building up moisture or contaminated.

Topping: Slows growth and stresses the plant. Can be used to produce more tops that are slightly smaller than the main cola. This is great for strengthening stems and small grow setups. If you pull the bottom leaves off the top grows better and vise versa.  

You have an indica dominant strain. Looks nice with stacked nodes but that don't mean shit if it cant produce enough trichromes or any other of the chemicals known in cannabis. Smoke test will be the best judgement. 

8. Bruh its a male...

9. Mother leaves are very symmetrical and structured in a way that canopy's the buds during the night.

Father leaves are bushy and not uniform generally stacked nodes and look like "perfect mother candidates" at early stages.

Please keep me updated if you spot 2 white hairs. ;)

10. Well its on a 24 hour hour light schedule at the moment and is only one month into grow from seedling so how do you figure its a male?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

-Vource

11. There's no reason to do the hot water heater thing. Just leave water in an open container for 24 hours and your good

12. Cannabis shows sex when mature. Light cycle doesn't matter. Indicas show signs of sex earlier than sativas.

And if you read my comment above you would see that its a male because its bushy and not symmetrical and has no hairs and looks to be developing small sacks. <---Since the photo was mag to 400x and is low quality i can only speculate ;)

Some strains you cant sex until flower but well leave these out of the convo for now.

13. oh and it takes about 1 month from seed to mature. Some take a little longer(Sativa).

14. #14 The_Real_OG_Kush, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    I just separated some cannabis by leaf shape.

I found in my strain that the males were all thin leaved and sativa looking

The females were wider in the tip of the leaves.

I sex'ed them BEFORE maturity or flowering. 

***Note i did this on accident. I thought i was separating the more indica genes from the sativa ones. Turns out the idica looking ones (At birth only) with wider tipped leaves turned out to be all female. This could not be coincidence.

15. One last thing. If the roots hit the edge of the container and start to become root bound the plant will most likely flower.

When the roots have no more room it tells the plant to start the flower process even under harsh lighting conditions like 24/hr on.

16. PtsD

Not sure if your looking for strain advice:
    PTSD/Anxiety 

I recommend pineapple express from g13 labs (Sativa)
    OG 13 from G13 Labs (Indica)

These are potent tho. Very strong highs. Tested it on my anxiety and my buddys PTSD.

17. So if my baby does turn out to be a male I can still use the leaves for extracts like BHO?

And OG I can take an HD picture of what you'd need to look at to tell if its a male, but I don't know what to take a picture of ahaha

Thanks guys,
    -Vource

18. I dont think 1 male is enough for production.

Here is what to look for:

At every node there will be two spike leaves. Between these tiny triangle spikes and new branches forming is the sex.

It will either form a tear drop with 2 white hairs coming out

OR

Small round balls appear

As you get better at sexing you can see tiny and i mean tiny round sacks forming. Im not sure exactly how but over time you just know the difference between early male and fem.

I know people who never acquire this skill.

You have to have good eye sight or magnification.

Not all the pollen sacks and flowers form at the same time. So checking every node is need until you find the sex.

Ok now this example is good except the fact that the early male balls are more round than elongated as shown in the drawing.

[​IMG]

19. This was the best close-up I could get of what you said to look for an though I'm still unsure. I don't even know if its started showing sex.

Image attached

Cheers,
    Vource

Attached Files:

20. Turn the light off on a 12/12 scheduled for 1 week. Then the sex will be more visible. You can then revert back to 24hr lighting and veg although some stress will occur.