What is Your Philosophy for Animals?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NorseMythology, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Sounds like some matrix stuff. Maybe we already are in a virtual reality.

2. Who here has seen stargate Atlantis?

-yuri

If we had to be the livestock of some advanced alien race.. then yes, this would be preferable to them knowing. If their reality is that they are only born to be eaten by an alien, then a virtual reality would be ideal. It'd even be ideal if in the future, there was some sort of Soylent Green scenario..

Luckily, we are not livestock.. but we are still animals and we still eat meat. There's a ton of things modern humans don't need. Give it a few years when they start making synthetic food out of inorganic material.. we won't need to eat plants either, and we will have a new class of dieters who only eat synthetic and snob even hardcore vegans. Hell, you don't even need to eat plants in modern day times.. but we all still do, cause we are animals. There is a company out there, ironically enough, called Soylent that is a shake that is supposed to have all your daily requirements for nutrition.. so why still kill plants to eat?

While a neat science fiction idea, it's highly unlikely we are.. unless it's just an experiment to see what happens. If we were being harvested for whatever reason, they'd want to make a virtual reality that was as worry free as possible.. and in reality ... if there was the technology out there to create a virtual reality, all they would need to do is disconnect a person's consciousness from their body and plug it into the body of a worm or rat or whatever. They would live their life out believing they were a worm or rat and cause no issues until harvest time. Two way street too, if the reality we know is a fabrication.. how do we know that our brains and bodies aren't a fabrication as well? How do we know that we aren't some rat like creatures hooked up to a virtual reality where we are given a human brain and body? The only logic matrix/virtual reality scenario would be one where it was done purely out of curiosity.. but if there is a need for it, there are so many better ways it could be created in comparison to the reality we know.

4. We are all animals lol, some brighter than others. While we may be more enlightened, we see people behaving like primitive beings all the time while some intelligent animals that seem to be doing amazing human like things get put on youtube all the time...so idk this world is fucked anyways I love my two furry babies!! 

IMO some animals can love and feel compassion just as some humans can act like mindless sheep. I see my dog enjoying the sun and grass when we go to our favorite park.. he sits and stares out into the open and meditates in complete bliss..so it seems lol. People can say that I am projecting my human feelings on to my dog but I feel like thats a lazy way to try and understand animals ..maybe even projecting your lack of understanding on to them and dismissing them as lesser beings. When you think about it..at this rate, we need animals more than they need us.

How can you possibly know this? I fucking hate in these arguments when some ignoramus comes along and just assumes this shit. Who the fuck appointed you psychologist of nature? Just because animals don't speak English or French or whatever doesn't mean they dont think about life, death, God etc. We know that whales for example have their own languages, so why wouldn't they be talking about some of these things? This entire argument of yours and people like you just smacks of desperation. Some people so need to beleive they are superior to all other forms of life that they will presume to know their inner feelings, deny that creatures they have never communicated with feel consciousness and invent fictional gods that give humans dominion over the entire world. Just honestly think about what your doing here. People also used to say back in the day that blacks didn't actually think and that they were basically just instinct driven robots. That argument and yours are really not all that different.

And the HUMAN philosiphers consider humans to be the pinnacle of life... Man I'm fucking shocked.

6. There have been several animals shown to mourn the death of one of their own.. and to me, if they are aware of death, they are aware they are alive. Being out in nature though, it's not like they can afford to sit there and ponder on the meaning of their life.. cause that will lead to their death.

This video is a classic for me.. even though I am more of a dog person than cat person. Just a testament to how nonhuman animals can become part of a human family.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBW5dfRoG7Q

7. Robin says about how he discussed life, love, and death with Koko.. but I can't find any actual videos of that part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9I_QvEXDv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs0fy0Rs8PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TICFnQK1tAc

8. Whoa tame'er down bro ;-)

Yeah it may of come off a bit harsh but this argument annoys the shit outta me. "Herp derp, humanz iz teh best, dont need no evidence, discussion over!"

Fucking flake lol.

10. I can surely empathize with you, it feels good to vent frustration. Granted he made unsubstantiated knowledge claims in a philosophic thread, pickle is a reasonable person who is typically willing to engage in pleasant discourse.

11. Exactly. To me this is obvious.

I am an animal. I don't want to be eaten by a lion, but I'm willing to eat a cow? That's the definition of hypocrite

A lion needs meat. Its body is designed to survive on meat. A lion can't empathise with a gazelle.

Humans don't need meat. Especially in modern society. And humans can empathise with other animals thanks to our intelligence.

I think talking about humanely raising livestock is missing the entire point.

I wouldn't want to be raised in the matrix and sold as meat even if it was unknown to me.

Its kinda what I was saying in the abortion thread. We've become extremely selfish and we are losing respect for life.

We are moving into the mindset that nothing matters because morality is subjective. There is no God and we are insignificant in the universe. So it literally doesn't matter if we eat another animal.

Unless you are the animal being eaten or the fetus being aborted.

-yuri

12. My buddies dog does this exact thing all the time, it's fucking crazy to watch.  2 dogs fight, he jumps in and plays bouncer.  Fat little bulldog haha.

13. Yeah, its always funny seeing that kind of stuff happen. I work with dogs and every once and awhile I'll get a dog that just naturally acts like my helper in keeping the rest in check. One was a huge German Shepherd.. and if there were dogs getting out of control, he'd run full speed into the aggressor and just check them into the ground and get up in their face til they backed off.

Watching dogs interact is great, especially when you can read them. Usually no matter how many toys you have in a play group, there is almost never enough. I've seen dogs try and try and try to get a toy from another dog and fail, then they go and mope.. looking all sad watching the other dogs play.. and then one of them feels bad for them and walks over and drops their toy for them to play with. You can't see that kind of stuff and say that they are just dumb, unemotional animals running on pure instinct.. unless you live in denial.

14. Do you kill mosquitoes, spiders and the like?

15. not intentionally.

I still believe you have a right to self defense though.

For example. If you have stagnant water and mosquitos in your yard, this is a dangerous health hazard. I wouldn't say it is wrong to defend yourself from said mosquitos.

-yuri

16. mh a really important word here that gives life value over others is "sentience". thats why we care about killing an ant less than killing a dolphin. for example, a woman that had an early term abortion vs an axe murder arent on the same levels but both ended a human life. why? because a fetus has little to no sentience while a full grown human does.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. it is not the act of ending life that is the problem, but the act of ending sentience (the happiness, the pleasure, the goals). saying all life is equal may be true but not the sentience life carries along with it. thats why killing Mosquitos is much more acceptable than a dog.

I can already see this thread getting derailed over this topic.. please no.

19. ? its important that in philosophy to use logic and not emotion

20. Just take a stroll through the "pro life/pro choice" threads...

That can of worms has been opened, dumped out, refilled, sealed and opened again...