Genetically Modified Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by LegalizeMarinara, Feb 3, 2015.

1. #41 A guy, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    To say that you were "disagreeing" would be to say that you have a different opinion or conclusion than I.  Instead you were merely picking apart and disputing the rhetoric of my comments rather than the content when you yourself had never even heard of such an event.  How could you disagree that I had heard about a GMO wheat incident in my community when I presented it thusly.  You didn't.  Instead you picked apart, and poorly I might add, my comments which came from experiences that were much more than anecdotes.  And each and every aspect of my description of the incident that you claimed as anecdotal turned out to be fact.  I claim to have seen you do this with others but never payed much attention to it.

Lastly, it's both juvenile and antiquated to attempt to demean someone by comparing them to a woman.  Good luck with that.

2. ^^^^

Name calling = loosing the argument.
    When In doubt just refer to name calling.

3. #43 A guy, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    Check mate.  Darn it!

4. #44 muddymcphereson, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
    Humans have been hard at work genetically modifying the cannabis plant for at least the last 50 years and longer using standard plant breeding techniques, mainly to produce varieties with higher THC content (now that we know its main psychoactive ingredient). GM techniques today are simply a much more sophisticated and less "trail and error" method of achieving human modification of lifeforms. The main driving forces behind genetically modifying organisms is either public health or profit. Since cannabis is no longer grown as a main foodstuff, profit is going to be the bigger driving force. Hence, as cannabis become legal, creating a larger consumer market, both individuals and corporations will rush to compete to develop cannabis strains that are more profitable - using traditional and GMO means. As a previous poster points out, consumers might ultimately create a two-tiered market with GMO cannabis products and "organic" cannabis products. It's not a question of "if", but of "when".

This doesn't even touch on the issue of how what we think of as "cannabis" will change in the hands of the corporations that will eventually arise in the legal marijuana market. Cannabis can remain un-GMO, but still be adulterated in a manner similar to what tobacco companies did to tobacco, which is also just a plant. For example, tobacco companies long ago learned how to add other chemicals to tobacco in order to make nicotine more addictive, easier on the lungs (that is, easier to inhale, not safer), and burn longer (by adding an ingredient used in gunpowder). If fact, it is likely that these last two points are why most of the world (outside the US) usually mixes loose tobacco with marijuana in their joints. Due to the time, skill, and resources it takes to grow your own cannabis, the majority of cannabis smokers will likely rely on these emerging corporations for their product. Hopefully, the lessons of tobacco will help avoid a similar fate for cannabis.

5. the great thing about cannabis is that effects are much greater than tobacco so not as much need to adulterate though it remains to be seen how much humans will get in there and add-minus from the plant their chosen traits and qualities. 

I have not thought much about the fact that it is not being seen as food so that in turn dictates how it will be marketed and looked at. the importance of food is paramount, to bad cannabis is not seen as such. one day maybe when people are wiser.   tobacco has already set serious limitations on public cannabis use just by the second hand smoke laws now in place for tobacco. then again, imo because cannabis is more pronounced/noticed in its more drawn out effects users will not smoke nearly as much in the same time frame as tobacco thereby reducing second hand smoke factors. even still the importance of vaporizers will be seen as time goes on and it will take the entire prohibition misinformed info squad to say that vaporized cannabis has negative health effects as second hand vapor.

6. Damn guys, I do not care what you all want. I just want to know if GMO cannabis seeds are available. I can see there are many here who missed the 60's and never tried paper, cubes, or try this from the local livestock store. It is my preference what I partake in. So any idea of where genetically engineered cannabis seeds may be purchased.

7. Try colchicine induced mutations, just be careful

That's a type of GMO

• Like Like x 1