The Jambalaya Project

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by NugPufr, Jan 31, 2015.

1. 1.0's on day 55 of 12/12
    by the way they have slowed down in the home stretch, I suspect they want between 9 and 10 weeks to finish.
    Interesting to note that each plant smells different. There is the hazy tall jack, the dirty dish sponge, one that has a garlic spice reminiscent of the chemdog, one spells like a fresh melon, and one just doesn't really smell at all. All are frosty as fuck and dense as hell though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. #42 GSTM, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    Dude, you are rockin those J 1.0's!!!

Looking fantastic man really.....excellent job on those.

I remember mine seemed to smell different every day...couldn't make up her mind lol.

And mine also did the same thing....pretty much hit a brick wall down the homestretch and just started filling in.

Can't wait to see them in a few weeks....looking greasy and tasty already.

I particularly like the looks of this girl...reminds me a lot of the AK.

[​IMG]

3. That's the tall haze smelling pheno

4. Ah.....sweet.....you like her as well then haha!

5. Yeah she has been my favorite the whole time. It is so hard to look at and smell this herb everyday and only drool over it. So tempted to have a branch accidentally snap off! But we are only finishing 8 weeks tomorrow so I will maintain my composure for a bit longer

6. :laughing: :laughing: ...that's some funny shit right there!

And believe me, I know exactly what your saying....I almost took a little bite out of my GFBA last night :p

7. Wow, nug! Those ladies are looking absolutely delicious. Just curious, what kind of a trim do you usually do? Wet or dry? Do you usually do a clean groom or leave a little bit of the leaves on?

8. I used to be a fan of the wet trim. just so much easier. Nowadays though I will hang them for a day or two before trimming. This is especially helpful in the winter and other times of low humidity. Leaving the leaves on will help them to loose moisture and a more even pace.

When I do get to trimming it's a two step process. First remove all the fan leaves, then I take my spring loaded fiskars and remove all leaves. resin encrusted or not. I make a point to dig in and cut the stem and not just trim the leaf from the outside. It makes for a much smoother herb.

9. #49 GSTM, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    Absolute truth right there.

In the winter with my furnace going, I'm looking at humidy in the 22%-25% range in my basement where I hang to dry.

If I trim before hang, the herb is dry as fuck in only 3 days or so....way too quick.

So I started hanging the entire plant, leaving everything on there so the carcass retains enough moisture to keep this from happening. Doing this has pretty much tripled the drying time.

Not only that, since I hate trimming and don't always have the time to complete the task all at once..I can stretch it out over a few days without worrying about the herb getting too crispy before I get to it.

10. That sounds like what most people who get good at the cure end up doing. Sounds like most eople start out wet. Inevitably they look for way to improve the taste and smoke and going over to a dry trim sounds like a sure fire way to do that.

Thats good to think about. Being up here in oregon, I figured humidity (to be more accurate, the lack of humidity) would be the last thing to worry about. But it absolutely is.

11. I did a little looking into the strains that go into making up the J1.0 and just collected a little bit of information to share with everyone.  it may or may not be useful, but it certainly can't hurt anything:

Jumbalaya = Afhan Kush x Jack Herer x Big Buddha Cheese x Chemdawg

• Afghan Kush: Pure Indica
    • Jack Herer: sativa dominant
      <ul><li>Haze Hybid: Sativa Dominant
      <ul><li>South American: Sativa
    • Thai: Sativa
    • Mexican: Sativa
    </li>[*]Norther Lights #5: Indica
    • <li>Afghani: Indica
    </li>[*]Shiva Skunk: Indica
    • <li>Skunk #1: Indica and/or Sativa*
    • Northern Lights #5: Indica
    </li></ul></li>[*]Big Buddha Cheese: Indica
    • <li>Afghani: Indica
    • Cheese: Indica
      <ul><li>Skunk #1: Indica and/or Sativa*
    </li></ul></li>[*]Chemdawg:
    • <li>Nepalese: Indica
    • Thai: Sativa
    </li></ul>* The Skunk #1 has some from Sensi's that are classified as indica dominant, and some others from other breeders that are classified sativa.  Many people classify it as sativa due to the type of high.

So it looks so far that the J1.0's are staying more Indica dominant than sativa.  However, depending on what Phenotypes were selected along the way, it may be expressing more of the sativa characteristics.

12. They def lean towards the sativa side I would say. The skunk #1 used in BBC was specifically the UK cheese cut which as I understand is a sativa dom plant. Not sure about the shiva skunk though. need to look into that. but based on the heritage I would estimate the makeup is probably 80/20 Sativa/Inidica. 

Looking back at the pictures that you've posted in here, I can definitely see the sativa side coming out.  But looking back through all the strains that made it up, I would have guessed Indica.  Just goes to show how nuanced breeding can be.  Not to mention the skill and insight that are involved.

14. interesting idea Nug. Subbed for the ride.

15. #55 Lumperfan, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    J 1.0, 14 days of 12/12 so far.

#1- topped 5 days prior to flip
    #2- topped 2 weeks prior to flip

Really enjoying watching these grow!

Didn't want to top them but needed crowd control and work with height restrictions. Will keep you posted!

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1423632025.008280.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1423632041.285733.jpg

16. Those ladies are looking great.

How long did you let them veg?

What kind of soil and nutrient regimen were you using?

17. Been wondering how those girls were doing....looking great LF! :wave:

18. Thanks GS! Pumped for these girls. Saved and cloned a stinky little dude too! Just not sure when/where he will make his next appearance..... Figured you would want me to post em here rather than your thread. You and NP are the patriarchs of jambacity! Thanks be to you guys, just glad I got a chance to run em!

19. #59 Lumperfan, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    Not sure how long exactly, but have it written down. Think veg was approx 45 days off the top of my head. Threw them in flower at 18-20" tall. Now over 32" and growing fast. Water only ammended living soil, but have given a few coconut water and malted barley grain teas, usually along with aloe, silica, and ful power fulvic acid (thanks Coot!). Been working well, just need to stay true to my ipm program and not over water and it is easy peasy! Thanks for the kind words!

20. Coconut wated, aloe, and silica are all things I plan on pulling into my next grow. I've hear amazing things about all three from pretty much everyone Thays tried them.

What is an ipm program?