Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do/would you let your kids smoke

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Stay_Frosty, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Plus, the daily mail is not known for top notch reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Yes when they are older.

Sent from my LG-D160 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I'm not going to get into a big round and round with this, but realize that if the science you quote doesn't come to any solid conclusions you can't go around calling their findings "facts".

You're coming on a site that tries to bring true facts on the subject and practically shouting "smoking pot kills brain cells!!" Yet your studies are, as you said, anecdotal evidence.

So I'm confused, do you feel like pot made you stupid? Because I smoked my fair share as a teen and I know it didn't make me stupid. 

4. I think I would have them wait til they were 18 then let then do it. I'm afraid of the possible affects on the growing brain.

5. If the child was at a mature and at least 16 I wouldn't mind. However, I would make sure that it wasn't affecting their life or studies to the point where they have to rely on it. Sometimes chilling with friends and having a toke creates happy memories and would like my son to enjoy that instead of getting heavily drunk and creating chaos.

6. #46 waldoe420, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    Plus there is other research that infers that it does not have such effect on adolescent brains. http://www.jneurosci.org/content/35/4/1505.abstract 
    It's sometimes hard sifting through studies and papers in search of a definitive answer on many topics. That said, If I did have a high school age kid, I'd let him or her toke. 

7. I'm sorry if the truth is scaring your friend.

I never said those studies are anecdotal evidence. I said there is a multitude of anecdotal evidence to support the empirical evidence.

And once again you're making assumptions based on misread facts. It's already been shown to cause IQ drops later in life because those increased connections end up failing.

It's like you completely glanced over what I said.

8. Whatever bud. I read the articles you provided and they did not amount to much. You really didn't add to the minimal evidence you produced. I'm not saying there isn't scientific data out there that proves your point, but the material you supplied doesn't cut it. If you think THC kills brain cells then quit.

BTW, produce this empirical evidence you speak of. If it's a solid fact and readily available then post it. If not, stop telling us to prove your point. You are how myths get started.

9. We'll work backwards from the day my son plans on becoming a man. If all he wants to do is smoke pot, play video games, and live under somebody else's roof then fuck no. Got his life in order, plans made, then I have no business whatsoever telling him what to do. As a parent, you just cannot give bad advice to your children, it's not an option. When I think abstinence is an advantage then I will support abstinence, when I think that indulgence will do no harm then I will not oppose indulgence.

In other words, allowing their drug use depends entirely on how mature my children are.

My daughter... forget about it. Very opinionated and emotional. She's 4 and already I'm intimidated by her, bosses me around all the time. She will do whatever she wants to do and she's never wrong, all I can do is try to guide her in the right direction. It's a very unique experience, being a parent. Can't really say what you'll do until you become one and even then it depends on how they develop. It's always a work in progress.

10. #50 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Neuropsychiatrist and Director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research (CMCR) at the
    University of California, San Diego Dr. Igor Grant is interested in the short and long-term
    neuropsychiatric effects of marijuana use. The CMCR has overseen some of the most extensive
    research on the therapeutic effects of medical marijuana in the U.S. "Despite a commonly held
    view that cannabis use results in brain damage, meta analyses of extensive neurocognitive
    studies fail to demonstrate meaningful cognitive declines among recreational users," says Dr.
    Grant. "Brain imaging has produced variable results, with the best designed studies showing null
    findings."
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-02-cannabis-world-renowned-discuss-frontier-therapeutics.html

11. I expect my child to be born with a bong in one hand and an eighth in the other!

12. As long as my son (or other future children if I have them) are of age (fully developed adult brains and bodies) then I probably wouldn't mind too much as long as it was in moderation. Younger than that, I'd still try my best to keep my cool, but there would be some serious conversation going on about it.

The OLD me would have absolutely thrown a fit though!

I myself was heavily against both alcohol and weed when I was younger. After I was finally broken down by my now ex wife to give drinking a shot for the first time, I was already 21 years old and discovered that it was not as big a deal as I thought it was. You see my uncle used to live at my house for a while growing up and he was a drunk back then. As many times as I saw him nearly falling over backwards or down the stairs, etc. I decided I'd never do it and thought (back then anyway) that literally a single drop of alcohol would get you like that.

It was until a few weeks ago, now at the age of nearly 30, that I got high for the first time. Again, found that it is not as big of a deal as I always thought it was and my main goal of sleeping well had been met.

This all being said, I still think that he should wait until he is fully developed, so it would at least be heavily discouraged until then. Same thing with sex, I'd rather he have a completely mature mind before making such a huge decision that could have very negative consequences if he's not actually ready and prepared.

Proper and truthful education is the key to it all.

Sorry for the tangent. I've been known to do it.

13. I have a one year old daughter. She will never smoke, even when shes older. Thats how id like it. But if she takes after her mother she'll be the popular hot stoner chick who smokes up a storm.

14. Call me a hypocrit, but fuuuck no I would not just sit back and let my kids smoke weed without setting some serious boundaries first. I wouldn't be a nazi about it and make them feel bad about themselves for doing it, but I would be sure to let them know that weed is not that "sacred" plant stupid hippies make it out to be, and that it does more harm than good. As long as they were smart with it, weren't riding around smoking while there's cops around, kept their grades up, and kept a presentable appearance (weren't walking around with gauges and long shaggy hair, with rasta shirts and shit like that)  I would maybe be able to turn the other cheek on weekends. I think parents that actually smoke with their kids are ridiculous though, tbh.