Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do/would you let your kids smoke

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Stay_Frosty, Jan 31, 2015.

1. #21 Neph96, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    I'm at least a decade away from having kids (barring an accidental pregnancy), but I would be okay if my kids smoked when they were in their later teenage years (16+). As long as they got excersize and fulfilled their responsibilities, I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't advocate for them to do it, but I wouldn't be totally against it.

Would I smoke with them though? Only once they became an adult.

2. Gotta keep the boys off the pipe and the girls off the pole.

Sent from somewhere in Canada.

3. It isn't how big grey matter is that determines anything, it's how dense or compact it is

4. Links Please!

Those articles both reference the same study and both articles say this is not definitive evidence. The scanned 48 brains of marijuana users and did not give a number or percentage of users they scanned who had a decrease in grey matter. They also leave out the life styles of those people. If they were also drinkers, athletes, professors, etc. That makes a difference. 

A fraction of 48 people is not a significant data source. I would call these coincidental correlations at best. Not science

• Like Like x 4
  6. #27 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    ""While our study does not conclusively address whether any or all of the brain changes are a direct consequence of marijuana use, these effects do suggest that these changes are related to age of onset and duration of use.'

suggests, appears to, evidence that suggests, That review also suggested, are likely to, researchers suspect, results suggest, may, may explain, they could not be certain that the damage was directly caused by the drug.

What this means, in laymans terms, is we haven't proven anything BUT if you keep giving us money, we'll keep looking.

Dex‌, on 12 Feb 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:
    A simple google search would suffice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2828841/Smoking-cannabis-day-warps-brain-shrinks-grey-matter-scientists-warn.html

http://m.ibtimes.com/can-marijuana-shrink-brain-long-time-users-have-less-gray-matter-study-finds-1722394

When you make statements it's your job to support them with links to where you got your info.

7. i am not going to have kids because it would freak me out to have little mini mes running around but i would give them little bits from a young age just like people do with alcohol. it might sound fucked up, but is it any worse than giving your kid a little beer? just to give them tolerance to it for later.. isnt that why parents let their kids sip beer? just a thought

8. #29 Dex‌, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    Just because it hasn't be rigorously proven doesn't mean it lacks a shred of truth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21050680/

Study pretty much just tested
    THC is responsible because CBD did not affect it in a negative way.

There is also quite a bit of anecdotal evidence to it as well.
    Which once again, holds no absolute scientific truth, but still presents the quaint possibility of that truth.

9. once they are 16+ and don't bring it to school, and grades stay up. no smoking in the house or in public, and don't become dealers or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Still, similar findings linking pot use to poorer performance on memory and IQ tests have caused researchers to sound a note of caution even as the stigma of smoking pot diminishes.

I don't know why you people refuse facts.

11. I wouldn't even bring it up with my (if I had) kids. I'm hoping to build a relationship with them where they aren't scared to tell me, and will tell me they tried smoking pot.

I wouldn't get mad at them, I would just tell them to please smoke in the house and away from the police. They can bring their friends over, I'm just not responsible if their parents are against it.

If I did have kids, I wouldn't be smoking, if I did I would do it away from them and privately.

Really also depends on age, if the kid is 12 and starts smoking, I'd try my best to hold off until they are older. I still wouldn't get mad but be more cautious as to where they are smoking and the friends who they are associating with (younger kids that smoke pot tend to act like a gang banger)

[​IMG]

12. #33 CANandProud420, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    I think I would if he was I interested in bud, he's going to do it with his friends regardless what I say anyway aha might as well allow it and just tell him to smoke it at home so he doesn't get busted anywhere

But he can't big a burnout and lazy and shit he's going to have to keep his grades atleast average too

• Like Like x 1
  13. Interesting that so many say no. What are your reasons?

I do have kids and I've often thought of this since we are in WA and its all over. They all know that people use it for medicine. They don't know I use it, but in time, we will talk about it. And yes, I will approve them using it when they are 21. As with all things, you can be either responsible or foolish. Using marijuana is no different imo.

14. I wouldn't advocate it. Although once I caught the little bastards(s) burning a joint, I would fuck with them and have them pissin in their pants then probably sit down and next to them and smoke it with them.

15. Once they were sixteen, I would let them smoke. They would have to smoke in my house/backyard. Grades would be a contributing factor but I would talk with them and assess if the smoking is part of the problem before prohibiting it. I know that is a little unrealistic but that would be the goal.

🌜🌛

16. You really think a teenager is gonna listen if you say "Son, your grades are shit, give me your weed" IDK maybe your kid is different but I would have been over at buddies place rolling a blunt so fast. 

• Like Like x 1
  17. I would discourage use until adulthood.

In the meantime I would stress moderation and avoiding addictive drugs at all costs.

• Like Like x 3
  18. I won't give him any money aha how's he going to buy bud, good thing I have 15 years to go before he's 16

• Like Like x 1
  19. He's five so I'm not gonna let him smoke now. Hopefully he doesn't know what mommy does... I don't smoke in front of him. I'll hide out in the bathroom or something. Then we watch the Simpsons or some kid show together and I'm laughing as hard as he is lol.

I think thirteen is still too young. 17 and a senior in high school? Fair game. I kinda hope we can smoke together but I'll understand if it's not his thing.

• Like Like x 1