Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Were not Smoking Pot, Were smoking hybrids?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by drummerben04, Jan 30, 2015.

1. This proves my point, drummerben said that he got regs but them there was that rare occasion he got HYDROPONICALLY grown bud that was dank. Why couldn't the other not hydroponically grown bud be as dank as hydro? Hence: Hydroponically grown weed is stronger, HENCEx2, snoop dogg and Seth are right. Good day x2 :)

2. #22 Sneaky Snake, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    I always listen to what rappers have to say about things. They're highly educated individuals who always tell the truth.

^^Sarcasm.

Before medical marijuana, most weed in the US was basically mexican brickweed. Huge ass wild plants that were stripped and compressed into a brick by a machine. No one was taking the time to trim it by hand, cultivate it, etc. It was just a big weed farm like they were growing corn and harvested just as gently. So your general weed was about 10% THC, and would have a lot of stems, seeds and leaves in it. It tasted terrible. When people started to cultivate hydroponic weed, it was basically what he have now. But when it came out, it was really expensive. With medical marijuana, just about everything in the US is some kind cultivated strain that's been cared for and has a high THC content, and now costs about as much as that mexcican brickweed did, if not even less. That's all he's trying to talk about.

3. #23 drummerben04, Jan 31, 2015
    You could also note that very few strains anymore are 100% Indica or 100% sativa if that has anything to do with it. Plants are cross bred to get more desirable traits. Maybe higher THC? All I can say is I'm glad we have the equipment now to grow it in our homes instead of somewhere 1000 miles away. Not to mention how dried out it must of been when it was done its trip from Mexico over to you. Thanks for the info Renaldow!

4. #24 squidrick420, Jan 31, 2015
    If you wanna know everything about what people were smoking back in the day then check this out.
    https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=135579

There are 52 pages of people talking about old school bud and tons of pictures scanned from old high times mags.
    There is also a thread here on GC about weed in the 70's (that is where the above link come from).
    http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/1294438-ahthe-70s.html

Long story short, there was plenty of weed back then that is just as good as it is today. The only things that were different was that there was a lot more schwag going around and people didn't care so much about trimming so the good stuff didn't look as 'clean' as it does now. Also most of the good buds were imported unlike now. There were also more landraces and less hybrids. Most were also sativa (likely a result of the buds being imported from Mexico, Central, and South America where the climate is perfect for sativa) and indica was almost strictly for hash making.

5. #25 drummerben04, Jan 31, 2015
    Thanks Squidrick! That settles it, this thread is closed. Any more posts please go to the link above. I must say the posts on that thread really sparks some interest in me. Looks like 70's weed was not as bad as we all make it out to be. Maybe harder to find, more expensive but definitey awesome! I encourage all on here to check it out!

6. No problem haha. I've spent hours going through all of that stuff! It is remarkable to see how much cannabis has changed over the years.

Getting mighty sick of this false equivocation. Just because dude couldn't find good outdoor bud doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't out there, and just because he got some good hydro doesn't mean it's all good, or certainly any better than the outdoor. 

In a setting where you can take some - even just a little - care with the plants, outdoor can be and is every bit as good as the best indoor. This is coming from a medical grower in WA who's tried it all.

8. #28 bushsmokerkushsmoker, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
    Yeah, but I'm saying it is much easier and less care needed to get a good quality plant, you can still get good quality bud outdoor if you put in the effort, just it doesn't require as much effort indoor to get good quality :) and I've had personal evidence of weed being stronger nowadays, me and my dad blazed together and he (was a big stoner in the day) even commented on how much stronger weed is these days, and it wasn't even that dank weed...

9. "May 12-13 1765: "Sowed Hemp at Muddy hole by Swamp."
     August 7, 1765: "--began to seperate (sic) the Male from
     the Female Hemp at Do--rather too late."

George Andrews has argued, in _The Book of Grass: An Anthology of
    Indian Hemp_ (1967), that Washington's August 7 diary entry
    "clearly indiactes that he was cultivating the plant for medicinal
    purposes as well for its fiber." [7]  He might have
    separated the males from the females to get better fiber, Andrew
    concedes--but his phrase "rather too late" suggests that he
    wanted to complete the separation *before the female plants were
    fertilized*--and this was a practice related to drug potency
    rather that to fiber culture."

"Some of my fondest memories are of sitting on my back veranda, smoking hemp and staring out as far as the eye can see." Thomas Jefferson

Let there be no doubt. Cannabis, not hemp is what those dudes was smoking. HEMP has no drug value, and is an irritant, and would not create fond memeories.

So I'm going to say that if OP's piece was written about 1660-1670 then it very well could be accurate. Because once the Founding PotHeads showed up.... Mahfuckas started making them buds sticky icky!! And I smoked some shit in the 80's that had me confusing Rainbow Brite and Punky Brewster.... Couldn't fucking tell them apart.

10. So we went from an average of 5-7% on the streets to an average of 15% on the streets....of course its better but the old stuff still did the trick