Tap water and carbon filters

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Hated, Jan 30, 2015.

1. #1 Hated, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    Sup blades,
    After realizing how much bottled water I was going through I bought a brita pitcher and I feel like theres an after taste.

I was wondering if any one had any opinions on using a carbon filter (pretty sure thats what brita pitchers use) to filter tap water for drinking vs water bottles.

I guess it depends on where you are located and your pipes but in general what do you think about tap water ? Im pretty sure my tap water is "ground water" so theres a good chance its polluted.

Any one have any thoughts on all this ?

Tl;dr is it safe to drink tap water ? If not how do you go about filtering it ?

2. I think all new water has a taste. I personally hate bottled water, I think it tastes disgusting and feels weird. Tap water in a city will generally have some sort of filtration process run on it, but need more filtering to get rid of everything.

3. Most bottled water is tap water if im not mistaken. I personally dont care for my tap waters taste, and studies have found prescription drugs contaminate water supplies.

Having said that, I use a zero pitcher, i think it is 4-5stage filter built into a single cartridge. I would recommend a carbon filter at minimum. They certainly dont remove everything you might want filtered but its better than none.

One problem is the lack of trace minerals we get through our diet and water. If thats a concern, there are companies that sell aqueous trace minerals you can add after filtration. Trace Minerals and PH Ion brands come to mind but there are others. Idk how much more info you'd like?

4. Im sorry to answer your question is tap water safe, it entirely depends on location. Wish i could be more specific.

5. If you are really concerned you should look for a water safety report which should be released every year by your municipality. In most places, especially closer to cities, tap water is pretty good and doesn't contain many contaminants. So if you are using a Brita filter I would definitely not be worried. Don't let chemophobiacs scare you. A little bit of trace elements in your water really isn't going to have much of an effect. It's not just about what is in it but in what concentration, and the concentrations for most of these chemicals is so ridiculously low that they would never really cause any negative impacts. Just my .02 though.

Tl;dr you'll be fine drinking tap water, especially if you are also using a filter.

6. #6 Hated, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015

Im not really too concerned, was just kind of wondering what every one thought about this. Personally ive never put too much thought into where the water i drink comes from/and how its processed because I just assume its good because I pay for it. Now that im filtering it myself and tasting a difference it got me thinking, 

Not sure whats in my tap water or if it could effect my health but im positive I taste it.

7. Chlorine possibly?

8. #8 jas43, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    They're a bit pricey but a reverse osmosis water filtration system will do wonders.
    I used one for my grows and ended up keeping it hooked up for drinking water.

Look at it this way dude. People used to just drink out of dirty ass old rivers. 

10. Haha most cities use rivers or resevoirs still...They just add a plethora of chemicals. I prefer drinking water from a nice little seep in a rock face.

I just filter tap water. I too can taste the residuals. I also use a local Artesian well.

11. Winslow illinois has a good public artesian well for anyone near northwestern illinois.

Bottled water companies count on the low information of there users. Tap water in nearly all states, cities exceeds that of bottled water. Bottled water has ZERO regulations on it. In the vast majority of cases its nothing more then tap water that is flitered with simple filters and bottled. Then some sorry sap buys it drinks it and says yum.

There has been many shows on the scam that bottled water is. One of the larger ones claims its mountain water but there plant is right near a waste dump. The company said that there was mountain water somewhere in the state. Aquafina is a Pepsi product that is LA Sewage water filtered. That was on 60 mins. Pepsi CEO was at a meeting where the Mayor of LA was and the Mayor joked he would give anyone all this sewage if they built the pipeline...Pepsi CEO had a brilliant idea. Pepsi built a giant processing plant to treat the sewage and the water they get is 100% free.

Tap water has many many regulations on it, multiple testing of its quality daily. Bottled water has zippo.

Anyhow if your worried about the taste get a water filter. If your really paranoid get this. It will even remove some radioactive particles..it removed every known virus as well. I got it in my bug out bag.

http://www.amazon.com/LIFESAVER-Systems-4000-Filtration-Bottle/dp/B001EHF99A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423061331&sr=8-1&keywords=lifesaver+water

13. Yuck, Tap water is so nasty. I always run it through a Pur water filter into my Britta pitcher, so it's double filtered. Tap water has chlorine (which is super noticable in the summer) and other containiments. The Fluride they add isn't safe or natural either. It's actually Sodium Fluride and is made of many heavy chemicals. It's usually shipped with a large TOXIC; FATAL IF INGESTED sticker on it aswell. (Rumors that it damages your penal gland are all over the internet aswell)

14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KBxPkNITo

Video posted today. Doesn't seem like it is anything too special.. and I think I'd only ever trust reverse osmosis for pure water, if I cared about pure water that is.. but is interesting. I'd have to see the soda thing in person though..

15. Actually, rewatching it.. I think the soda thing was fabricated some. They barely put any soda in it and there was still some in the bottom, yet more water came out than soda went in.

Many things are toxic if used in large doses. Tylenol being a very large one. You take a couple thousand milligrams of that you can die from it....yet in small does for decades it has helped humanity out immensely.

Not everyone uses chlorine to purify water...my local water source uses RO on a massive scale to do it.

If Fluoride was harmful in the manner in which you describe then we would not have the record lifespans we currently have. It is by far one of the largest long term experiments conducted in the history of humanity without really any negative results.

Sodium fluoride is made of sodium and fluoride.   :mellow:

18. That's rather poor logic to have. We have high life spans because we are educated (free public education), we can successfully treat most illnesses or their symptoms, and because we have actual plumbing (we don't just throw our waste in the street).

Check this out; http://fluoridealert.org/articles/50-reasons/

Japan has the highest population of living centenarians in the world. And they don't add fluoride to their water.

You were saying?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. #20 chiefton8, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015