Cardboard box CFL miniature grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Wolfered, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Try not to worry too much on small things, its pretty unavoidable as a new grower but there's nothing wrong with them being different sizes. Heat can affect vegging plants but mainly only if its ridicuously hot for long periods, so if youre below about 85 at the most, you're good. In flower you wanna watch the temp more and try to keep it in the mid 70s

2. Should probably get a thermometer to check every now and then just incase. I've done the check where if i place my hand under the globe for more than 10 seconds, and its fine when i do that, but it's just noticeably warm so i was a little worried.

3. Week 2 update - 16 days from sprout (larger one)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current concerns, the smaller one seems to be not liking it's soil or something, i don't have it very close to the light so that it will stretch, which it isn't doing. It's tiny new leaves springing from the centre stem appear to have been eaten or something, which is weird because it's other leaves are completely fine (it might just be slow growth).
    Now, the bigger one, it's growing faster and faster everyday and by next week should have at least 4 more full sized leaves, but is growing slower compared to other micro grows i've seen, which doesn't bother me too much considering the space i've got it in and the lack of nutes everyone else seems to be using. Anyway, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

4. Also, bigger one has slight browing on the tip of its biggest leaves, should i trim this? I figured it was just a small amount of heat stress from being just over an inch away from the cfl and it being around 35 degrees celsius the past week.

5. #26 abige69, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    problem wiv using soil from backyard is that its full of bugs & their eggs & a growing environment is the perfect birthing chamber for them to hatch, wiv fresh food available, good luck i like the idea but as it already been said, its is bare arse set up. i get you are on a budget but its worth getting some decent soil to start off with-bug free & have nuits init already for the 1st 4wks. personally id move the light up abit so its atleast 3inches above seedlings to prevent heat stress/burns. also when they get to flowering you dont want any light leaks, tights/pantyhose can be handy to cover holes but still allow air to circulate. on utube theres a good vid of sum1 making a reflector out of a can. 
    rapid growing seedling/plants tend to b male so keep an eye on any rapid growers just in case
    have fun & good luck
    :smoke:  

6. Light leaks should be covered, i have a jumper over the grow box 24/7. And see thats the problem, the soil i'm using with the one i suspect has bugs, was bought from the store (organic nute soil or something, balanced pH). I tried the reflector can thing but with the space i have it's just really awkward atm, when i stop using books to keep it close to the lights i'll chuck it in there.

7. #28 abige69, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    oh i thought u said it was backyard soil? or have i got confused? (easily done) the bugs can stay in root system so if u started of in backyard soil then transferred to packaged new soil, then the ickle bugglets hitch a ride over.
    good luck sweetie

8. Haha sorry, it is kind of confusing. The smaller one, is in store bought organic soil, which is one i am worried about, it has experienced no transplants in its short life time. The bigger one however, is growing in backyard soil, and absolutely loves it. If one plant has bugs though, i assume i should worry about it infecting the other one if it's in close proximity?

9. its odd that store brought might be buggy rather than backyard soil, id get a bug trap, the type for fleas/cockroaches that have a really really sticky bit inside where bugglet get caught, leave in between plants for a day or 2, then have a lookise & see if owt there, if there is you know wot the prob is.
    x

10. Week 3 update, day 23
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allowing the bigger one to stretch so i can start some LST and topping eventually,
    It's growth is slow (which is probably due to no added nutes and small grow space) so i'm hoping its a female. Can't wait to start flowering it.
    Giving the smaller one to a friend who will take better care of it so i can focus on the main one.
    It got too close to the CFL earlier in the week so i had to trim the end of some leaves, seems to have recovered easy though.

11. #32 DJ Mem3, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
    Haha. so ghetto. Can't knock the grow though since I once used cardboard box and trash bags lined in my closet lol. Interested to see how they turn out. Subbed.

I got a PC grow box going but now converted the cabinet stand the living room TV is on to a grow box also. Want bigger planfs . PC box is cool and fun to work small plant grows but seriously I want more bud and bigger yields. Still keeping both going though for sure.

12. Haha nice. This is just kind of an experiment to see if i enjoy it. If i do i'll probably invest in something a heap more sophisticated. Want to get one of those raspberry pi fully automatic grows.

13. Haha can't believe I'm still up. Jamming mtvclubland at 3am now finishing up my 40oz and smoking my bubbler. I'm always experimenting thanks to all the helpful blades and information here. Learned all my stuff from growing, budder, Isohash and more during my time here. Currently got my PC grow log going here.

14. looking good loving the box  :smoke:

15. Hi all can you use a foam box with 2 120mm computer fans as outtake fans and a passive intake as a growbox? Thought it might work well as a reflector

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

16. When should i start LST? and how long do you think til sex shows?

[​IMG]

17. #38 abige69, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    how old is plant? you want to start early so plant grows how you want it to, pipe-cleaners & fishing weights work really well, as soon as there's a bit of plant going off in wrong direction -LST it
    :)
    sexing can take ages, known of ppl who've vegged for ages & flipped to flower still not known wot sex it is, fast lanky growers that shoot up quicker than the others tend to b male, got a magnifying glass? get looking very closely for them balls

18. 26 days old, it seems to be growing quite bushy so that's a good sign of female but this could be just due to the small space and the light being so close.

19. cool bro im bouta do the same thang you doin . i subbed ima keep up with this one maybe itll help me out too  :hello:

O and did you start lst yet ? im curious cause im going to do the same to mine idk when i should start tho