How we could successfully live in a world without money

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by cannabisrevolution, Jan 29, 2015.

1. #1 cannabisrevolution, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    You ever hear someone say, "I love my job." Not very often have I heard that phrase come out of someone's mouth without a "But..." after it. I believe a world without money is not only possible, but likely to occur sooner rather than later. I have asked many people for their opnions on a world without money, and most people say the same thing, people would get lazy and nothing would get done. However, I disagree for 2 reasons. I think a world without money will give every person an equal chance to chase their dream. Some people do want to be a doctor, or a teacher, or a artist i can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I'd love to be a _____" I've even met many people who like labor work, and I'm one of them, I do like hard work. What's stopping most people from achieving their dreams? Money. Dreams can get expensive, education alone can cost thousands and thousands of dollars, but what if the cost to achieve your dream, was free? I honestly can't picture anyone sitting on their ass all day doing nothing, it get's boring quickly. I for one would love to entertain people with acting or music, maybe work with some type of space program, and many other things I'm not going to get into because I have a long list of dreams I'll never achieve, due to money. The 2nd reason I disagree is because the way we would set the system up. How would a moneyless society work? I think every citizen would get a type of access card, but in order to get one, you must give somehow to society. I think everyone should contribute 21 hours a week, minimum, to helping society. Why I do believe there will be no limit on how many hours you can work for any given week, and in return? You take your access card to your local store and get anything you want, for free. What about limits? I do believe there will be limits on how many of one item you can obtain, and it will differ depending on which item it is. You might be able to obtain only 1 vehicle until given a recomendation to get another, but there could be limitless amounts of shoes you could obtain.

2. Sounds like a dictatorship of sorts. Barter and trade. That's where it's at.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. How so? This comes nothing close to a dictatorship. A Barter and trade system would only benefit those who have something to trade to begin with. My solution has everyone contributing somehow to society, but only for 3 hours a day, or 21 hours a week.

4. Because men lust for power , and the current pinnacle of it involves money.

5. this guy lol. your access card is the same thing as a prepaid debit card.

why not just have the gov. fund education like other countries so you can chase your dreams?

6. #6 fromTheOldCountry, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015

It isn't just about chasing dreams, it is literally the key to escaping poverty in the 21st century and beyond.

Education.

7. Use to be if you had land you had power. Now land is nothing. You don't even own it.

8. There is no poverty in OP's world without money.

9. There will always be currency in some form or another 

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 KrunksGroove, Jan 30, 2015
      When people fail at achieving certain goals, or in this case failing to find a good job and make enough money, they like to blame these problems on things that are seemingly out of their control. In reality it is not capitalism, or money that is the cause for such first world suffering, it is that individual. They try to change their environment to avoid confronting the fact that they are the ones responsible for such an unhappy life. Change yourself not the system.
      People in cultures without money suffer immensely, a sound capitalist environment would be a dream come true for them. Yet here, lost in your own first world bubble, you forget that everything around you (including happiness) is not an entitlement, rather you were simply lucky enough to be born in that environment. Happiness has to be earned in this world, want it? Work for it. Otherwise people need to realize that they don't have it bad and these problems are in their head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11.   Escaping poverty in the sense that you don't have currency system to gauge someones wealth. People would still be impoverished in the sense of resource, food, water, clothes, shelter. Everything has a price, monetary or not. Why would one want to spend time away from his family to build you shelter, or farm you food if he/she has nothing to gain other than karma?

12. #12 fromTheOldCountry, Jan 30, 2015

But wealth does exist outside of paper money (fiat money - money worth more than the material it is made of and is ordered to be what it amounts to), there are metals and gems, transportation, consumer goods, and etc., its all got value. Plus what is the incentive to learn how to become an electrical engineer and be one if you live as poorly as someone who barely or did not finish high school? This isn't really directed at the person I quoted as much as it is a continuation of what they said, these are just generalizations for everyone to consider. What is the incentive to drive human civilization and how do you transfer wealth in such a system? That is part of the beauty of the current system, the ease with which wealth can be transferred.

13. wow...that was very insightful and I will ponder that for weeks

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

14. Once machines are advanced enough, machines can do just about every kind of labor.

Everyone will be assigned a machine who will earn income for them.

This will free up the individual to "chase their dreams".

But like KrunksGroove pointed out some people will still find reason to complain.

15. How does this utopia function military wise? Or is not having money not enough...
    Also, what would the sick and elderly do? Do they get some sort of retirement plan or health plan that they build up through working 3 hours a day?
    Let's say healthcare, doctor's fees and school were all free, how could you get enough people to dedicate their lives to participate in this new world order (and by that, I mean that 3 hours a day is basically a blink. Surgeries last longer than that. To have this feasibly work, you'd need to triple the staff of every hospital in the nation... Or the world if that's what you're aiming for...which leads into more dilemmas... But I digress. Anyway, for that to happen, you'd need three times the dedicated students with the drive and ambition to go through 10+ years of training which is outstandingly unlikely.)
    This leads me to another inquiry... How would the rest of the world adapt this? We'd all have to be unified through trade which I guess could work... Until one country stops yielding as much or runs out of resources (such as metals or fuels.)
    I don't think it is possible to have a successful world without money the more modern and resource hungry we become. I wish though.
    Sorry if my ideas seem a little scattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I can see the point to an extent, but in an ideal world, everyone would be contributing. If he doesn't make you a shelter, you may not feel like giving him your best ho. He may get the 5th best ho. Who wants that? Not me, I'll build that fucking shelter until my tits bleed.

17.   Humans are naturally selfish as a species. Such large scale cooperation would be impossible.

18. I completely agree...unless there's incentive. Selfish incentive, of course, but incentive nonetheless.
    So let's say that there are small neighborhoods, (5-15 families) who are put in said neighborhood for their skills. One family has the skills to build fences. Another family has the skills to repair toilets, etc. Let's just say that the families in the neighborhood were their own self sustaining entity tied to a bigger resource (whatever higher power that is controlling the swing of things at the time.)
    Higher power provides the resources to build your neighborhood, and you all work together to safely and effectively build comfortable housing.
    That seems pretty viable, no?
    Well, what if there were millions of these teams, but they worked around other peoples' needs and vice versa?
    Everyone's needs would be met. The incentive to help would be the need to be helped. One person can only do so much, so to live comfortably, you'd need to help others. A whole utopia based around helping others to help yourself. SIMILAR TO capitalism, but more wholesome and dependent. Maybe the more work you put in and quality of that, the more cool shit you get? Idk. Just an abstract thought.

19.   Sounds like totalitarianism/communism combined. The thing I love about capitalism is that it offers the possibility of endless growth and accumulation. If I work hard enough I can drive a Ferrari snowmobile in space. In your scenario there would have to be systems in place to assign employment. People would not be able to do what they were passionate about if an opening was not available. The system you propose would require a government to enforce it. People would have a career chosen for them and educated on it. 
      The thing with capitalism is I can die poor while dreaming big. That's what I love about it. I wouldn't want to be told I have to be apart of a group, and be forced to participate in a career I wanted nothing to do with. It's so limiting and depressing.

20. True. There'd have to be many complex changes to the government and society and what not for anything like that to work. I particularly like capitalism, but I can see where the average joe can take it as a fleeting way to make a living. It's basically a battle of the fittest to become what you want, and if you aren't prepared for that, you'll get left behind. Capitalism... Or at least the juiciest part of capitalism is very competitive. You have to be willing to climb a tall tree to get a juicier fruit, and some people aren't willing to do that.