Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cold Extract Glycerin Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by smokin 'n tokin, Jan 29, 2015.

1. I recently tried to make a cold extract tincture with vegetable glycerin for the first time. I soaked bud in there for 2 months. After reading up some more on cold extracts at the 1.5 month mark I found out I needed to decarboxylate the bud before I put it in the VG. Anyone know if perhaps putting the mason jar of tincture in boiling water would convert the THCa into THC instead of decarboxylating?

2. There will be some natural decarb over time even in a tincture. I have personal experience with alcohol tincture becoming stronger over time.

How old / dry was the cannabis when you added the VG?

If the cannabis was over a year old it should have naturally decarbed.

Bottom line is I don't think heat will hurt it, but you may luck out.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

3. Decarboxylating is simply removing the carboxylic acid. So a double boiler method is still decarboxylating.

That said, it should work in theory, as glycerine (glycerol) has a BP of 290C, and you will be hitting 100C at most, and decarboxylation typically happens at around 50C after 20min.

I'd run it for say, 15min, then take it out, let it cool, and test it. If it doesn't work, heat it for another 15 to 20min, and try again.