How far back do your roots go?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fizzly, Jan 29, 2015.

1. #1 Fizzly, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    A friend of mine has an account at Ancestry.com, and she's done my mother's family tree.

My first ancestor came from England, and emigrated to this country in 1630 -- ten years after the Pilgrims -- and set foot in Plymouth, Mass., same place the Pilgrims did. Pretty cool, I thought.

His descendents moved west in 1806, to an area about 100 miles from where I live now, where my mother was born and raised. There are a zillion of their descendents living there now, although I don't know any of them. There are another zillion that have been buried in several graveyards there in the past 200 years.

My (deceased) mother told me, when I was young, that her great-grandfather had fought in the Civil War, and that she remembered sitting on his knee listening to stories about it. I never had any other information on it til now. It is indeed true, we found out his name (my g.g. grandfather), and there were several others of his generation who were also Civil War veterans. My friend even found a picture online (at Ancestry.com, I assume) of a family reunion in 1913, and he is in it.

And I also have quite a few relatives who fought in the Revolution.

She has just started working on my (deceased) father's family, who came here from Sweden in the late 1800s, which I already knew.

Pretty amazing stuff, all made immeasurably easier via the internet. :D

2. That's awesome, I always wanted to know a little bit about my ancestry 

Is that website legit? I dont want to give up a bunch of personal info

3. I am a descendant of at least six Mayflower Passengers. and many later arrivals.

I have a number of ancestors who fought for the Patriot side in the Revolution.   I also took some DNA tests, which are interesting to me but not so much for anybody else. 

I am related as a distant cousin to George W. Bush and Obama, we share a common Colonial-era ancestor named Hinckley.  

4. #4 Blu3B3rryKush, Jan 29, 2015
    I'm not gonna go to far into it but I will give u the gist of it.My family owned slaves on a tobacco/potato farm wayyyyyyy back.

Black woman+white man = mocha baby but lark dark considering it was 1st gen

Mocha baby+white man = less mocha baby

Less mocha+white woman = light skin baby

Lightskin+whitey= pretty much white

So my family had black directly in it for a lil over for generations and our last name is a predominantly black name. That's pretty much how ancestry gave it to is. I had a great time when I did the class project in school on our family tree. (Do not insert joke here)
    So yeah I'm white and from South Carolina but I'm allowed to say the n-word... Jokes...

But yea crazy history

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 KrunksGroove, Jan 29, 2015
     I have an ancestry account. Haven't found anything on it as I don't know much about my recent family history.

6. Yea my mum did it few years were from a family thats military.
    From trafaglar to boer war,and a spitfire ace :)

In a few hundred years frim now, someone else in my family will do it. And find me as a stoner who did fuck all haha

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. One of my aunts did that. She found out we have french and spanish royal blood.

8. I'm related to John Wilkes Booth by marriage. I've also seen the bloody pillow covered in Lincoln's blood in the museum.
    [​IMG]

It's as legit as the sun coming up.

You don't give up any personal info. Just start the search with your grandparents, g-grandparents, or whomever you wish.

My friend started the search with my mother and her parents, all deceased, none of whom are related to my friend.

So all a searcher is doing is pulling out data that is already out there; the people may or may not be related to the searcher.

10. my dads side has a pretty long history in Wales. They came over to America, someone in the family fought in the American Revolution

They went on to own a lot of plantations in Mississippi which they subsequently lost to carpet baggers.

My moms side came from Prussia in the 1800s and also eventually lost their family farm

11. My ancestral regression mysteriously vanishes at around the time of the Roswell, NM incident. I think my grandfather didn't crash.  :ph34r:

12. My old man's cousin did our ancestry mapping years ago and traced that side of the family all the way back to what she concluded was a 17th century privateer-turned-pirate. How fucking cool is that? The whole line on that side is almost exclusively Irish sailors and other men on the water, all the way to my own Grandad who was a fisherman by trade. My dad was the 300-year c-c-c-combo breaker.

My other side is pretty much rooted in French aristocracy that migrated from Paris to the Mediterranean sometime in the 19th century. My grandfather was off his chain when my mother ended up in a shotgun wedding with a blue collar Irishman in England. That old bastard was always so cold toward me.

Heritage is endlessly interesting to me. Love reading this kind of shit.

13. Cool as fuck being a pirate :)

What a lifystyle that would have been. Well up until the royal navy eventually caught up with you,and hang you from the fucking yard arm lol

Cant blame the old man for being cold mate. A paddy! (Joke) ;)

14. I'm related to Adam & Eve

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Not very far back, only mid/late 1800s, but it's relatively colorful. xD Mom's side: she and her siblings were all a bunch of psycho petty criminals, doesn't sound particularly interesting, but some of the stories actually are. Uncle punched out a lieutenant when he was in the army, other uncle got in a knife fight with a serial killer and helped catch him, mom lit a girl on fire when she was 12, they've all been embroiled in a feud with another family of even worse criminals since my mom dated one of them. My Granny had a cousin named Oscar who was in the mob or something and used to show up in a black trenchcoat and give her money and new clothes. Their grandpa came from a family of Jewish redneck circus people, some great-aunt was accused of witchcraft, and the earliest generation was....actually pretty normal. xD On my dad's side, I don't know much about them, but I know his mother's side of the family is super-rich, owns a huge company, has a street in St. Louis names after them, and I get no part of that fortune. -.-

16. I'm a descendent of a clan of warriors from county Kerry who had a seat in the kingdoms house. (14th century).. They were defenders of a specific castle.

Most of my ancestors stayed in Ireland for the famine, although one or two were arrested for stealing food and the British sent them to penal colonies in Australia. (19th century)

Some of my great grandparents and great uncles were executed by the British in the 20th century because they wouldn't speak English when asked. One or two of them were involved in the Irish republican brotherhood (which eventually became the Irish Republican Army/IRA)

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

17. Careful now...

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

18. My dad did a bunch of research on our ancestory years ago before he passed and all I remember is my first ancestors were booted from England for stealing silk shirts and he ended up starting a town in Maryland! still got the family name to XD

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forumlll.

19. Lol
    Thievery wont be tolerated :)

20. Thats pretty dope! ur lucky to know all this stuff..I wish I knew more. I know one of my great great times a billion great uncles traveled with christopher columbus & his signature was in one of my middle school history books actually. (Least thats what I was told) but I don't really know much more about my family. I know both sides of my fam, (my grandpa) was adopted and my greatgrandfather was adopted on the other side of my family so Im thinking that makes it especially hard to really get the info I'd want. Idk =/ I'm a mutt to a mix of things, from puerto rican, spainard, french, indian,hatian,polish..ugh I could go on but you get the point! lol they seriously freaked like rabbits back then I guess! anyway Thanks for sharing this with us, it gets the mind wandering..Hmm, who knows who we're related to. Its interesting to think it could be some really great people, and really horrible people. Ya never know. Thats history for yaa :smoke: