what strain of seeds should I get

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ilklike, Jan 28, 2015.

1. I am looking to start growing some seeds for my arthritis in the spring. I live in Southern Spain and want to grow them outside on my terrace so I need them to grow no taller than 1 meter and have very little smell and also easy to grow. If someone could tell me the best place to look for this information it would be a great help.

2. I would suggest my Holy Trinity of Mothers.  Sensi Star, THC Bomb, and Darkstar.  I get a well rounded mix with those three, but have a habit of running a couple NL Blue plants for a full Indica experience.

3. #3 BloodBooger, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
    With the sun in Spain, I'd go for a Blue Dream...its a blueberry (indica) X haze (sativa) hybrid. A little indica for the joints, a little sativa for the noggin. Grow it in a 5lt . Smart pot, will keep it short. Lovely high.

4. With your height limitations, you will have to either run autoflowers, so they have a shorter growth period, or use a method like LST or SCROG to keep them that short outdoors...photoperiods will grow all through season, and indicas tend to be around 2 meters before flowering, sativas about 3 to 3 and a half meters, by nature, so you HAVE to use some method of training to keep them smaller growing them outdoors under natural period sunlight.

As for "what strain?"...that's a highly personal thing...as it's pain control for RA for you, I'd suggest you keep an eye on typical THC levels, but choose one that also has a fairly high CBD content naturally. But that describes a huge number of the sativa-heavy hybrids currently out there. But beyond that, you want to look for comments from other growers on how hardy the strain is, how much or little care it requires, and similar...with RA, you hardly want to be on your knees in your garden 2-3 hours a day without medication until you can crop, right?

THEN you look for flavor qualities. After all, you want something you enjoy smoking...not too harsh, not a smell you find unpleasant, etcetera (I tend to like those with a strong citrus influence)...but tastes in flavors and scents are a highly individual thing...some folks like diesels...to me they leave the same aftertaste a bar of soap did when I was little and got caught cursing. Some folks like the bubblegum variants, I find them pleasant and sweet, but harsh enough to cause major coughing fits...which I view as a negative. So figure out what you like...and try it.

I would honestly suggest you start out with a few seeds of each strain you think may fit the bill from a reputable bank, crop 'em, find out which you like the best, stabilize that strain (and start cloning off it to avoid future seeds and herming...all female plants when you clone), and buy seeds for a couple other strains that are shown as having similar qualities to those you found pleasant.

Do it that way, you'll have your medication, and a pattern that will find you the "perfect strain" for your use and taste...three or four crops, you have stabilized runs of two or three strains you like best, and you're good to go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the information I will do some research myself now before I buy the seeds in April

6. Don't worry about plant size, you can change that with training and topping.

I would look at flavor and flowering time. Some strains take a month and a half to flower, others take 3. Also look to a strain that isn't nutrient sensitive unless you are experienced with fertilizer use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. All of them

8. Because of the time of the year I would only start autos now. Photoperiod plants won't flower until the autumn which I a very long time to wait. Keeping the plants small throughout the spring and summer would be hard. An auto can be ready to chop down in 10 weeks so won't get very big, usually just a couple of feet tall 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Get whatever Indica strain you want or auto flower. The best pot I have ever found in Virginia was supposedly called Grand Daddy Purp (this is VA it could be anything really) The bud was like all white, almost grey and fruity with purple swirls around the inside of the bud (not a P deficiency either). When I move to Denver I will be looking for Grand Daddy Purp to grow :)