Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Maximum Saturation Level of Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by CaseyJ of the North, Jan 28, 2015.

1. I am interested in making some coconut oil infused with cannabis oil for scar treatment.

This way I can avoid solvents and coconut oil is my end destination anyways.

My question is: "Does anybody know the saturation level of coconut oil for cannabis oil?"

I have heard of a 1 gram of bud to 1 once of coconut oil ratio but I'm wondering if that envelope can be pushed a little more for a concentrated application.

I would imagine you could double or even triple that ratio and fit a little more, but I wouldn't imagine you could fit a pound's worth into once once of coconut oil - or maybe you could...

Any thoughts?

2. I don't know if this will help, but I usually put 10grams in half a cup of vegetable oil for ingestion.

3. Great to know njnerd! That sounds like a lot higher potency than my current recipe.

I would just like to avoid wasting some of the bud in the process if it wasn't absorbed.

4. #4 Galaxy420, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
    that is as interesting concept to explain cannabinoids. the cannabinoids have size ( mass) and the oil has available space to contain the cannabinoids but how much available space?? there would be a point where re submerging new cannabis into the already saturated oil would just reabsorb the previously absorbed cannabinoids back into the new herb or just bounce off the new herb because the new herb has its own cannabinoids.  this also explains why we cannot overdose on cannabis because once we are saturated with the compounds we cannot absorb anymore they are just eliminated thereafter.

heard recent info that the cannabis compounds in carboxylic acid form is to big for our neurons to absorb them so they have to be decarboxilized, hence the reason we do not feel the effects from raw cannabis because the molecule is to big to absorb and distribute throughout our neuronal firing system. in regards to size, vaporizing sometimes makes a tickle in the throat and that is the cannabis molecule causing that( the reason cannabis cannot be used in an inhaler such as for asthma even though cannabis works for asthma patients). even the decarboxylized molecule is to big for an inhaler to distribute the molecule in a gaseous state into our airways. food for thought....

5. That is interesting to hear about the molecular size of the non-decarboxylated THC.

I am wondering what would be an effective way to reason this out or measure it?

I am thinking that there must be a way to find out the limit of a particular oil's ability to 
    "carry"/"bond" with other. As I understand it, coconut oil is a medium length chain triglyceride. And these tails (three of them) have attachment points. The more these are filled the more a fat is "saturated" 

":Saturated compounds are "saturated" with hydrogen - all available places where hydrogen atoms could be bonded to carbon atoms are occupied. Unsaturated compounds have double bonds (C=C) between carbon atoms, reducing the number of places where hydrogen atoms can bond to carbon atoms"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglyceride

6. figuring it out through mass of the plant( weight)  would not work either because different strains have different active molecule amounts so a pound of herb in one strain will not have the same amount of actives as another strain. think of 3% thc brick weed, that would take lots more material to get to saturation point than say 25% top shelf loved while grown cannabis. how to know how to know???

7. Oh boy maybe i make it stronger than I should, but I use a minimum of one oz per lb of oil or butter, have used up to 1 1/2 oz. So that's like just under 2 grams of weed per oz of oil. I hope I am not wasting it. My grown boys were done all night, day, next night from splitting an entire batch of brownies, one of them got sick one passed out and hit his head. I warned them and they wouldn't listen to me. These kids are 27 &28 and daily smokers so I would be careful and just know your strength and if u make it stronger be prepared.

8. There is no saturation point where cannabis oil no longer mixes with coconut oil.  You could have 20cc of cannabis oil and put 1cc of coconut oil in it and it would mix right in.  Am I misunderstanding something?  If you are talking about how much bud can you mix with coconut oil to extract without other solvents (coconut oil becomes your solvent) then there is a limit of course but what exactly is the problem with consuming a bit more coconut oil?

9. I think they are referring (and if they aren't I am) to the molecular binding saturation point.  It's not about cannabis oil that has been extracted from the plant in an "essential oil" process.  That is different from cooking cannabis in butter to bind the THC to the fat molecule.

When you decarboxylate the cannabis (removing a carbon atom...or more- I'm not a scientist), the THCA converts to THC, but if you don't have a lipid (fat) for it to bind to, the THC evaporates into the surrounding air.

So the question becomes...what is the maximum saturation of the oil + THC/CBD/etc.?  When are you wasting your weed?