What happens if you dont burp your weed after curing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Jan 27, 2015.

1. So I understand you dry it, then burp it few times but it still remains moist but not wet etc... so once you finish curing it obviously still has percentage of moist still in there, if you don't open the jar every so often will it mold even after drying and curing is finished? or can you just close the jar and stash it

2. Once you get your nugs humidity "buffered" out at the right level yes, you can store them. If I'm not mistaken, its like 20-25% remaining water content.

3. I'm Not op, but I'm trying to learn all the steps to trying out my first grow by reading threads here, so this is a stupid question bare with me lol, how would you know if the bud has that percentage of remaining water content? Would that be where the humidifier comes in?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Yeah, or a good judgment call. I've never used a humidifier, but I take my time curing and pay close attention. Its the defining factor of the bag appeal of your bud.
    It shouldn't be too much to constantly check on it. And by constantly checking on it, you're burping it. If the bud isn't exposed to open air, it will stop giving off moisture when its stomata completely shrink up, and its no longer respiring. Its not complicated, don't over think it, just pay attention.

5. For those without the equipment...if you've dried properly, while curing, you don't burp for the first three days, and you watch...if condensation builds up on the glass, you remove the bud and dry it a couple days longer.

Once it's in the jar and curing RIGHT, you burp it for two reasons...to exchange air for less humid air (the inner part of the flower stays "wetter" than the outside when drying, curing is to even that out, so the whole bud is equally dank and balanced in moisture, which impacts taste), and to allow nitrogen to escape.

Why nitrogen levels are important, I've never understood, as part of this process. Since nitrogen is a neutral gas, and to the best of my knowledge its presence doesn't increase the environment's benefit to bacteria or fungi, so it doesn't foster their growth...

But not understanding "why", in this case doesn't mean I don't know from experience that doing it is important for flavor, longevity in storage, and quality of smoke (harsher or smoother). Possibly someone else can explain the "why", but for now, just leave it as "you have to burp it until it's all evened out and dry enough that it won't foster fungi anywhere in the flower", which it will, if improperly cured, because the inner portion of the bud will remain wetter, AND shielded from light and drier air.

6. Nitrogen is actually a preservative, it's what crisp packets are filled with

and also, you're hot

7. LOL...thanks, and if the N is a preservative, why do you want to burp it OUT? I'd think allowing it to build up would be something to be desired.

• Like Like x 1
  8. you should degas the jar... don't half step at the final stages

9. Dry it like normal jar it with one of these and leave it be till its time to smoke. These Boveda 62's take all the guess work out they are great. I keep them in my daily use jars as well to replace the RH after I open the jar to grab a nug.
    [​IMG]

10. This guy's smart man

11. Looked into it more...there are fungi that thrive in nitrogen rich atmospheres, and the plants continue to give off O2 so long's there's active chlorophyll...so without burping, you get an N heavy atmosphere that's ALSO building up an environment that certain fungi thrive in.

Also why, apparently, translucent or transparent containers are better for curing...though I've never noticed any difference in quality or taste between methods.