Assisted suicide

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JohnnyWeedSeed, Jan 27, 2015.

1. What are your thoughts on this? Two colorado parasites (ahem I mean politicians) are introducing a bill that would legalize assisted suicide for the terminally ill. I am all for this. I can't believe any kind of suicide is illegal anywhere. I don't believe in suicide just because you are unhappy but that's still none of my business. I do, however, condone ending ones suffering if death is slow, painful and imminent. I find it absolutely ridiculous to make laws against any suicide. For one, anyone who decides to kill themselves won't give a damn about the law anyhow. Secondly, a person owns their own body and can do with it as they choose. Lastly, if a healthy person tries to commit suicide and fails, punishing them for it will only exacerbate their problems.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26957565/two-colorado-legislators-drafting-physician-assisted-suicide-bill

2. Yeah I agree

You should watch a documentary called "How to die in Oregon"

It's really good

[​IMG]

3. I was thinking about this two days ago. I believe suicide is a symptom of a society that chokes human freedom. Your life is valuable because you support the statis quo, not because life itself is valued. Cant have tax payers killing themselves to escape this prison.

4. We were in the position to allow (assist?) our seriously demented mother to die of pneumonia, but could not do it.  It was alot harder than I ever imagined.  There was a feeling amongst us that she needed another year to complete her existential journey.  Of coarse we were only guessing because she was completely and utterly inaccessible and except for the occasional smile and her displays of shuderring terror, she was lost to us and the world.  Or maybe we were just being selfish by keeping her alive.  She died naturally a year later and it was much easier to handle.

I think about this alot, 4 years after the fact.

5. I'm sorry for your loss man. I do think though that your situation is different in the fact that she could not make that decision on her own. If someone who is dying of a physical ailment yet is fully still mentally well decides that the pain and suffering is to great to bear then they can male their own decision to stay alive or not. It is no one's choice but their's.

6. Isn't part of my right to life my choice not to live?

How does the government get off forcing people to live?

-yuri

7. How does the government get off forcing anyone to do anything? All it is is one group of people telling another group of people how to live and imposing their morality and will upon them by force and threat of violence.

8. I have said many times, if you value life over freedom, others can threaten the former to strip you of the latter. If you value freedom over life, they realize you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I feel for anyone faced with suicide for whatever reason, medical or dispare.

9. hypothetical question.

If a man murders his neighbor. What do you do? Round up the possy and take him to court against his will?

Isn't that a group of people telling another group what they cannot do?

Or to put this question a different way -

In a free society the idea is freedom as long as its not at the expense of another's freedom.

Do free people have to right to seek retribution for infringement upon freedoms of third parties?

Do I have a right to seek justice for my dead neighbor?

What about a abortion? What if I feel you are infringing upon the fetus's rights? Being a minority in the belief, no doubt society wouldn't "allow" me to bring justice for the abortion.

Isn't this subjective? Aren't people still telling others how to live?

-yuri

10. ^^^^ same question as above

If morality is subjective then so is freedom and rights.

Do you have the right to seek justice for an infringement upon a strangers freedom? What if another believes no freedom has been violated and therefore you are the one who is infringing? This would create conflict.

-yuri

11. Only if there is a victim there is a crime and at that point the crime should be punished. I don't have a step by step plan how to deal with that though. I'm speaking ideology at this point.

12. Out of respect for the OP, shall we discuss in a new thread or pm?

13. #14 yurigadaisukida, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    Delete

14. I would welcome this debate in another thread or pm but as Norse said, let's stay on topic in here and not derail. I really want to hear other opinions on the main topic.

15. ill bring this up again in the ancap circle jerk thread

-yuri

16. I look forward to it my friend.

17. I'm slso with you OP. Voluntary euthanasia is something I feel strongly about. They need to legalize this asap.

18. Yeah yeah thats great, but back to the part where what if you wanna die because you hate yourself. I'm all for that. I mean they're gonna get money from me one way or the other, right? Whats it matter to them or anyone else how. I should tell my siblings I want to be cremated, I can't believe how obscenely expensive it is to put someone in a hole in the ground.

19. During my live as a nurse I was involved with many hundreds of deaths and more than a few cases where a dying person was helped out the door.  Some people were simply empty shells struggling for their next breath, their minds long gone while others were fully alert but in extreme discomfort with no hope of improvement.  If I ever get in that condition and can't take care of business myself I've made my wife and daughter, both nurses, promise to help me out.  Life isn't always a blessing with the hope of tomorrow and since we're all going to die, choosing how and when one dies should be as legal as breathing.

I had a patient that had a pacemaker implanted but the surgeon pierced his gut with the pacer wire.  He was horribly infected, antibiotics wouldn't touch it, and the family wouldn't let him go.  He was gorked and on a ventilator which couldn't be turned off and he just lingered on.  Finally the family did allow the antibiotics and feedings to be discontinued but not the ventilator as they thought that would be killing him.  He rotted from the inside out, becoming a bag of puss, still on that ventilator until finally his heart gave out.

I had another patient with a second heart transplant that was infected.  Every four hours we had to pour disinfectant into her open chest around her heart and let it slosh around as her heart beat, then sit her up and pour it out.  She got progressively worse until there was just no hope.  Assisted suicide and a merciful death wasn't allowed so at her and her families request she got pain medicine to relieve her agony until she simply stopped breathing and died at peace. 

Sometimes families just can't make the hard decision regardless if it makes their dad suffer needlessly and sometimes they can.  Make sure yours knows how you feel, shit, make sure you know how you feel before you can't make those kind of decisions. Put it in writing although sometimes that doesn't help much when kids get involved.