Nutrient Brand and Growing Medium Recommendations for a Novice?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Snowbum415, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Hey guys!

So I am pretty much a novice grower, and I am hoping some experienced growers will have some recommendations on a good Nutrient brand to use. I have used the GH flora 3 part series before, and would like to use something a little better but also being cost conscious as I am on a budget. Although I would like to go all organic I'm not sure if I can at this point.

I will probably be doing a recirculating system, most likely ebb and flow, but to start I will probably just hand water. I want to use a soil-less medium, some sort of coco-blend and don't want to have to make my own mix so if anyone has a good recommendation on that as well, much appreciated.

I have heard that the Canna Coco is great but it seems pretty spendy. I know Botanicare is a decent option and may be close to organic...? Would love have a product that is fairly easy to use and dose not need a million other things to add as I would love to keep the cost lower. However, if spending a little more is going to get me better results (yield, taste, smell and all around healthier plants), then I could justify it...

Eventually I would love to play around with different supplements, teas, etc. but for now I would like to keep it fairly simple and play it safe

Any recommendations, research resources, tips, secrets?

Thank you!! 

2. Coco is pretty much the same as soil so if you want all the benefits of hydro I wouldn't bother with that. DWC is the most simple hydro system, it's a superb system for beginners. 

I use growth technology's ionic grow and ionic bloom. It's by far the best nutrient I have tried and pretty cheap at £8 per litre that will make up to around 250 litres of full strength solution. It's very well balanced for marijuana and complete. I don't have to add any supplements so it's only ever one bottle

3. #3 GoldGrower, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    If you do run a proper hydro system the first post on this link
    http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1198022-how-determine-what-your-plants-preferred-nutrient-strength.html
    explains how to manage your nutrient strength so your results will be as good as organically grown 

DWC comprises of a simple water proof container and lid like this one 

[​IMG]

A few holes cut in to the lid with net pots inserted

[​IMG]

You need some clay balls to fill the net pots. a suitably sized air pump, airlines and air stones and that's pretty much it 

4. as far as coco, check my grow in the sig. U used aqua flakes a and b recirculating.  but I didn't recirculate..  chack it out

5. Cool, thanks for the input!