What makes shining light during darkness period stress/hermie a plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Jan 26, 2015.

1. #1 james.wolverine97, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    I can't think to understand how, in natural grow outside or wild grow sun can disappear anytime due to bad weather conditions, or cloudy or can get really dark making them think the sun is rising or setting etc... why doesn't it go hermie then?

2. I've always wondered that myself...or at night with a really bright moon or street lights etc

3. exactly in wild life there isn't such thing as 100% darkness or close to it.

4. Moon is not bright enough. Street lights can definitely be bright enough to disturb the dark cycle.

5. that makes no sense, it's not enough to make it yield/grow but it's enough to disturb it so having your tent open with a 10w cfl distance 200cm away still disturbs it. 

6. #6 Ẅest Čoast, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    A street light is usually an 75w-150w HID. That is certainly enough to grow with. A 10w cfl 200cm away is not bright enough to reach the plant.

7. so you're saying if I turned my grow light off  with my 10-20w CFL with my plant just out visible outside of the tent will be fine? I've been told 100% darkness 

8. It depends. As long as the outside light doesn't directly shine on the plant, you should be fine. I've had my grow room lit with a dim light and haven't had any hermies pop up. Why risk it though? Buy a green bulb.

9. The sun and stars are millions and billions of miles away. The inverse square laws apply to artificial lighting not natural light or even the reflective light of the moon.

If you were to scale things moving lights 8 inches on a plant would require 1000s of miles of movement of the earth to the sun.