New to germination. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankuverymuch, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Hey folks,

First time trying to germinate seeds. Last 2 grows, I used clones but I wanted the full experience for the 3rd.

I purchased 5 seeds from the single seed centre. Soaked some rapidrooters for 12 hours. Soaked the seeds for 3 hours, and put them in the rapidrooter tray with a dome under a 1200w LeD.

My question is this, I filled the bottom of the rapidrooter tray with about 1/4" of water so that the rr's wouldn't dry out. It's worked too well but I'm worried that they're too wet. I know you don't want to drown the seed. They seem pretty moist but when I push them lightly (I mean like a tap), some water comes to the surface. Is this too much water??

I've attached a pic of the setup and a pic to give you an idea of how much water comes out when I very lightly tap a rooter.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422289289.607379.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422289312.742024.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I have never used rapid rooters I always use the paper towel method in a ziploc bag. I did put one straight into soil on my last run and it was to moist and rotted. I would say that is for sure to wet. It just needs to be slightly damp not wet.

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos

3. Shit. I figured. Thanks for the advice

So I emptied out the tray and am gonna let the rooters dry out for a bit.

They been really wet for about 1.5 days. Did I kill the damn things or is there a good chance they're okay?

Please note I didn't germinate them before planting.

4. I too place in wet paper towel and plastic bag and throw on top of fridge just keep em warm and soaked or not if they dont pop in 72 hours take them out of standing water. If they dont pop in a week take one out and sand or file the side...nothing in 10 days....toss

5. Like above I throw mine in a wet papertowel in a plastic bag and put them on top of my cable box. They usually sprout within 48 hours

6. I put mine in a glass of water for 24 hours then put them in towels.

btw they like warmth but not light while sprouting. That may be your problem.

7. Well 4 beans have popped up so far. This is the 4th day.

One still hasn't show any signs.. no root or visible sprouting..will give it some more time..shit better sprout lol

8. #8 greenthumbs21, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    It will..keep moist and warm...some sand the side with a file or paper to allow more moisture in and soften the shell

9. Like the previous post says, it should sprout, just baby it if you're worried.

I very strongly recommend the paper towel method though, for future reference.

I started all my seeds this year using that method. Wrap seeds in paper towel, wet it, put it between your palms and press it to wring the excess water out, then put it in a ziplock baggy. Close the baggy. Check it every day, just to let the bag breathe if nothing else. You should notice roots in 3 days, maximum. Also helps to put the bag on something slightly warm like the top of your refrigerator perhaps.

Like I said, started all my seeds that way for this season, some were gorgeous and obviously viable, some were pale and I didn't think there was any chance they would sprout.

I had a 100% germination rate. Even the pale premature seeds.

10. Did the pale seeds take longer to sprout?

11. No major difference. Maybe a day longer, maximum. It surprised the hell out of me lol.