Making iso dabs/wax

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Weedology, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Is it dangerous to make iso dabs with a hot plate in my room?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum while blowing O's

2. If you want to evaporate flammable fuels that could poised u or blow it take a chance. If not go outside like an adult or at least put a fan blowing across it out a window

3. Well of course im going to have ventilation i have two windows right next to each other to ventilate it.

4. #4 Weedology, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  5. I would not use iso if possible. if you can get high proof everclear or moonshine then use that, its at least a food grade solvent.

please dont even think about touching butane... not yet..

6. Yeah I wouldn't even consider butane I like my house

7. #7 5cooby Doo, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Psstt... he likes his house....

......I hope he also likes his face  :bolt: .

8. How about giving me advice like other blades do instead of making corny jokes. I'm using a hot plate as well and I think I might have a port in the back of my house I can use to connect it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. There is nothing more to say, that has not yet been said.

O.U.T.D.O.O.R.S. with HIGHLY flammable substances.

Iso is not the cleanest solvent for production of concentrates. But if you must, then have excessively well ventilation.  Two windows with a light breeze is not going to cut it.

10. #10 DabsOnTheMountain, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Alcohol is fine evaporating in your house. Everythings gonna smell but it won't catch fire. I make little potato cannons, Iso is the propellant, it takes a lot to get it to spark... Just leave every window in that room open and have cross ventilation. 

Be careful though. I wouldn't use a hotplate or a griddle. Just use warm water, and change the water as it cools. It's like leaving out a cup of moonshine, as long as you don't hold a flame over it, it won't catch.

11. Yeah ill just boil it down stairs and bring it upstairs and repeat. Does it take long this way?
    Look at you being helpful! Thanks dude

12. The visible alcohol is gone in about 10 hrs. It's gone in about 4 for small batches. And i've never had an issue running warm water to make my runs. I do it when I'm home at night. It doesn't take to long.

Of course leave it out long after any visible liquid is gone. Wait until you can touch it for awhile without your fingers sticking. 

13. honestly the best thing I've found is to have an exhaust fan setup in your window and have the dish evaporating in front of that. When I was doing alcohol extractions thats what I would do, and you cant smell anything. and yeah, you would really have to be trying hard to ignite the alcohol, so much harder to do than tane lol

let it evaporate at room temp until the liquids just about gone and then introduce some heat, about 100F. it will preserve a little more flavor that way. Let it sit on a griddle at 100F for like 3 days, depending on how much you have.

14. Making it right now lol I'll let you know how it goes

15. Some came out real dry and some is really waxy. Will the dry smoke good or what can I do to make it wax like

16. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422167783.597491.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422167802.176952.jpg

17. how long was that purged?

18. #18 DabsOnTheMountain, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015

Not nearly long enough. look at the time between his posts...

You might just wanna get rid of this stuff. Mine gets a hot water bath for 10 hrs still after it's visibly dry... Then it sits another day or more before scraping... Then it sits on a shelf while it dries on a silicone mat for up to 2-3 more days... Then sometimes it even goes in an oven too...

Thats going to destroy your lungs.
    You trapped all the extra solvent by scraping it.

19. Whats up guys!  I'm knew here so first, nice to meet you and second, I'm fucking stoned right now so don't judge my sense making abilities (I'm have an MBA from Regent).  I've known God but in the last few years have been struggling while i've been fighting a little cancer thing.  Weed has been a life saver mentally many times.  So any ways it looks as though I'm on a weedtrail, Heres what I need friends...

I made some 99% Iso shatter, in the process that I chose after carful and much research.  At the end of the process of heating the plate indirectly with a just under boiling water, which took me an hour.   I then put it in ice water to quickly cool the very sappy and resiny substance I was seeing.  I let this evaporate for an hour before the bath. When I went to scrape it I got this substance... Look at picks here.....

The last two pick are pressed and heated slowly 

Is this ok?...... or did I waste a quarter of some nice flowers. :confused_2:              

Attached Files:

20. You'd be making what's called QUISO, it x an be done, you'll have almost total terpene loss but you can winterize it as well if you want. And contrary to what Jimmy Carter said and ive seen people say it before, but actually Iso (even 91%, the rest is just water) is one of the best alchol solvents to use. It evaporates quickly, and all of it gets evapoearTed eventually, and leaves behind almost no oils unlike ethanol alchol aka everclear, and its relatively non toxic as well in small amounts if you somehow failed to get it out. The only thing you need to worry about is having an open flame, as long as the alchohl and vapors dont come close (they will always rise) theN you'll be fine.