Define troll

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by yurigadaisukida, Jan 23, 2015.

1. What is a troll? A lot of people accuse eachother of trolling on the internet but few know what that really means.

Trolling comes from the fishing term, to troll. Trolling is essentially a form of baiting. You are baiting the fish to bite.

On the internet, to troll is to entice someone into an argument (usually one that is irrelevent to the topic, or one designed to anger the victim)

Trolling is essentially a dick move used to argue for the sake of arguing and piss people off.

What do you think?

-yuri

2. #2 Messiah Decoy, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    I think people who mostly post to cause anger or outrage are trolls.

The times when I've mostly been trolled people were trying to get me so angry that I get banned.

If someone post a thread primarily to get a reaction out of peple it's considered a troll thread.

3. people also troll to get thread closed.

Its unfortunate that a single member can get a thread closed an ruin it for everyone else.

It does in fact take two to fight, but there wouldn't have been a fight if the troll didn't keep poking people until one of them cracks.

-yuri

4. I usually consider trolls (on GC at least) to be the people who post stuff to either disrupt a thread and start arguments for the sake of arguing or the ones who start threads that are pointless and full of misinformation that the troll defends as being an absolute fact. Youtube trolls are a different breed altogether but I won't really go into that here since I get pissed just thinking about it. I think the one things that all trolls have in common though is that they are all desperate for a reaction of some sort and they know that the best way to do so is through posting something controversial and defending it with arguments that contradict themselves.

I'm not sure why, but I just can't stand trolls and I don't understand why they do what they do. Are they bored? Are they in middle school? Does misinformation get them off? Or are they actually just stupid and believe the things they post?

5. #6 Thejourney318, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    Yea, I would say trolling is pretty much just messing with people and trying to get a reaction out of them. Saying things they either don't think at all or just expressing a fraction of how they really think, as if they really do think it, in a sort of extreme way to get a rise out of people. But there are different kinds of trolls as well. Sometimes trolls seem to be real assholes, like they really just want to fuck with people and get everyone seriously pissed off. Sometimes trolling can just be...basically messing around. I mean, you could say sarcasm is related to trolling. And me personally, I'm sarcastic as hell. Sometimes I post some really sarcastic stuff, and I feel like it's kind of trolling, but it's just joking around as opposed to really having some malicious intent. Also, being someone who uses sarcasm a lot, I'm very sensitive to sarcasm in terms of picking up on it. And idk, I personally feel like people troll a lot more than we think. Cuz when I read a lot of debates and stuff, I often get the feeling that one of the people does not even really believe what they are saying, and they are totally just messing with people...they're being sarcastic, basically mocking the position that they are pretending to take. But noone seems to notice, and they are taken as a serious poster who really has that position.

6. Good example of a troll post. 

7. I'm not even allowed to respond to a direct insult by editing the post insulted to a humorous image

8. Someone who posts with the intention of making you think it's a serious post but has ulterior motives to entertain him/herself is a troll.

A bad troll is someone who can't disguise their bullshit.