Potassium silicate

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Bamboo, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Hi all just wondering who out there is using potassium silicate or silica in there fert regime. I have used it in the past with good success . I ran out at the start of this season and only just started using it again. I find straight after application the leaves perk straight up and point to the sky, just like Dutch masters liquid gold . They say not to use it in flowering period, though I use it for the first couple of weeks into flower.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Agsil for the win. I use it all the way through flowering and with all my foliars.

Bham

3. How is the alkalinity of that brand ? The brand I am using is nutri tech, even at 2-2.5 ml per L it is very alkaline though it doesn't seem to affect the outdoor ones at all , they love it every second week.

4. Agsil rates are 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. I NEVER pay attention to ph so the alkalinity is irrelevant to me. I let my living soil buffer Ph for me. Plants freaking love it.

Bham

5. That they do. They say it is good for mites indoors as well. Anybody tried it ???????

6. Silica makes the cell walls more difficult for pest to penetrate. SO in turn it helps lower the mites ability to feed on the plant. It definitely doesn't kill mites though. 100% Neem or Karanja oil (Ahimsa brand) is my go to IPM item. Sprinkling Neem and Karanja meal on the top layer of soil is also great for keeping soil born fuckers out of you medium too.

I also like Old Stage- Green Cleaner for if things get out of control. It's made from essential oils and alcohol so it's like a double whammy for foliar applications.

Bham

7. Karanja oil, will have to look that up. I have been using neem for 20 years now on plants , animals and our selves . At or last place I had some trees going , so slow to grow,they were just beginning to take off , then we moved. Seed or grafted plants are the only way to get them going , the seed doesn't stay viable for very long.i will post a pic of a young one I have going now. Diatomite is very good for mites and other things , I usually top dress around the plants in ground and in pots. Just waiting on a new supplier . Cheer mate ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422077647.468549.jpg

8. Karanja is pretty similar to neem, just not as thick in its pure form. Don't try and mix Karanja with neem though, it's impossible lol.

Bham