TheMadDrs Magic Box

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by themaddr, Jan 23, 2015.

1. So, I've revamped my grow space to make it more back friendly, and give me more space to work in. There are going to be a lot of different things about this grow and I will try to keep this journal up to date as best I can.

First, and most important change, no more Bag seed. Working strictly with seeds from reputable breeders, and clones provided courtesy of my friend. We will refer ro this friend as Sky, and for those of you with IG, check out Skyhighatrist. If you happen to know who he is then you know he's got the shit.

Second change is the space I have to work in. Before I was likely working with all of 2 feet square as far as plant space was concerned. Now I have a space that is 2'x4' which works well with my plans.

Let's talk genetics. I'm starting with 2 Electric Grape Punch (Urkle x Grape Krush) clones. I also have an assortment of 17 seeds between 6 different strains.

List of seeds:
    Blue Satellite 2.2 x 3
    Peyote Purple x 2
    Bubba 76 x 2
    Star Trek x 4
    Bay 11 x 2
    Sour Lifesaver x 4

Here are the twins, this was before I topped them
    1421988692255.jpg

Here are the seeds, I know the list says EGP but those were actually Star Trek
    1421988785887.jpg

Now, as far as plans go, I'm gonna grow these 2 clones out, and I'm popping one single seed. A Sour Lifesaver. It's a fast finisher, says only 8 weeks, but I don't have the best conditions so I'll take it 9-10. The SL seeds are regs as well so I may find a nice stud.

Before I get too far into my plans, I need to talk about my last plant. It had a piney kushy smell, as you would expect considering I got it from a bag of dank Bubba. It also had a sour citrus smell, quite like grapefruit. The buds were a bit airy, and loose, and the node spacing wasn't optimal. The smoke however was a plesant, sweet citrus pine mix that was smooth and had a slight burn on exhale. The high was mellow and uplifting. I really enjoyed the smoke from this bubba cross, especially the flavor/smell.

Here is a picture of the final product
    1421989397409.jpg

Needless to say this strain had desirable traits, but also some major down points as well, I made the rash choice to cull her without taking any clones and I kind of regret it. Because of the bitterness I now feel from loosing this strain, I really want to replicate the flavor/smell of this bubba cross but fix the issues it had (light airy and loose buds and node spacing) while improving the high.

I have been doing a lot of reading on breeding and I have selected one strain so far to use for this cross. Peyote Purple. PP for those who don't know, is a pure bubba strain taking a Katsu Bubba Kush and inbreeding that with the Pre98 Bubba line. It produces extremely resinous buds and leaves and buds both turn dark red/purple during flower. Another notable charicteristic is the "claw" it produces. Look up the strain and you'll get what I mean. So for the bubba side of the genetics for my cross, I'm using Peyote Purple.

Now for the Grapefruit flavor side, I don't have a strain available to stablize this trait. I have however been doing some reading and have found that Sweet Chunk would be a strong candidate as it has other qualities that I like as well.

Get ready for Peyote Purple x Sweet Chunk

2. More about the twins. Electric Grape Punch is a cross between Urkle, and Grape Krush, which as anyone who has smoked those strains knows, when grown right they are Damn good. This strain has a pleasant grape smell to it and tastes like grape when smoked. It has a mellow, relaxing, and uplifting high that just makes you feel good. It is not an overly intense high, but it is very pleasant. I'm not certain which Pheno I have here, but the grape smell comes out different depending on phenotype.

The person I got this cut from is known to the InstaGram community as Skyhighatrist, he is a very reputable MMJ grower out of Oregon. He gave me a sample from his last harvest when he gave me the clones and I was impressed. If his feed is any indication I'm going to have a couple of very lovely ladies by the end of this flower cycle.

As far as growth structure the nodes appear to be pretty tight and the buds are of average density. Later in flower, the entire plant will turn purple other than a few yellowing leaves (normal for late flower) lower buds however will still be green while upper buds become purple.

She takes 8-9 weeks to finish flower depending on conditions, and loves to be tied down. Gonna be a nice bushy plant with a good even canopy.

3. I know I got a bunch of people looking at my posts but no one had replied yet. Don't be shy! We are all here to learn and if you have anything t o contribute, don't be afraid to share your thoughts! I by no means am a professional at this point in my "hobby" I just want to grow some dank pot, and make a couple crosses.

4. Been away from GC for a while, due for an update. The girls are looking good, both clones had their second topping about 6 days ago. I am currently on vacation otherwise I would post a picture. Going home tomorrow and get to check on their progress.

One more small thing. I just ordered three 10 packs from a local nor cal breeder.

Rosa Parks (Amber Rose cross)x10
    Congo Landrace bx x10
    "The Bull" (Congo Landrace x Med-USA) x10

Not sure when I'm gonna pop them, but they are all regs with flower times between 8 and 10 weeks. Hoping to get a stud or 2 for future breeding projects.

5. Just gave the girls their 3rd and final topping, will be flipping the lights in the next week. uploadfromtaptalk1424210321974.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1424210321974.jpg

After topping as you can see I have bent her over and tied her down. This slut needed some training. I pinched and bent down the 4 larger branches to slow em down and divert growth to the lower 4 branches. Should Bush out very nicely.

6. Just as I said, busing out very nicely. This is one day after topping and bending her over uploadfromtaptalk1424242460306.jpg

Here's a shot of her branch structurem very uniform uploadfromtaptalk1424242556647.jpg

7. #7 themaddr, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    Ok, so I don't have a box yet, but the plan is to buy a small 2x2 cab to hold a few small male plants while I collect their pollen to pollenate select branches on my ladies.

The plants I have running right now are as follows

2x Electric Grape Punch (clone, female)
    1x Star Trek (reg, not sexed)
    1x Bubba 76 (reg, not sexed)
    1x Blue Satellite 2.2 (reg, not sexed, not surfaced)
    1x "The Bull" (Congo landrace x Med-USA, reg not sexed not surfaced)
    1x "Rosa Parks" (Amber Rose x Dead Weight OG, reg, not sexed, not surfaced)

That's a possible 5 different males, I'm hoping for 3 so I can get 9 different crosses.

I just bought a new hood today for flowering, it's a t5 fixture with 4 bulbs. I have flower bulbs in reserve, will swap em out in 3 weeks at about 2 weeks into flower.

Here's a shot of that hood with my girls

uploadfromtaptalk1424999560285.jpg

8. #8 themaddr, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    Big update here, finally. First off PICTURE! uploadfromtaptalk1425116343204.jpg
    as I said, I got a 2 foot t5 hood/ballast sunblaze. The twins are already soaking up the light. I have also taken the liberty of finally kicking my ass into gear and making a proper trellis as you will see bellow. uploadfromtaptalk1425116323862.jpg
    And here it is with the girls uploadfromtaptalk1425116524668.jpg

Attached Files:

9. I know hardly anyone is even looking at my topic here, but I'm gonna keep updating anyways. Been a few weeks since my last update and there has been a lot going on in the box. To summerize, things have been quite interesting.... first thing is first though, my current and final linup for flower (including any males for breeding) with my top observations from each strain:
    2 Electric Grap Punch (Urkle x Grape Krush) clones
    All around awesome structure, thick, sturdy branches, tight nodes, smells like unripe grapes when you rub the stem right now. Likes to branch out, loves to be topped.
    1 Congo bx (congo x acdc x congo)
    thick and sturdy main stem, fast growing, not sure on the smell. thin leaves
    1 Bull (Congo x MED-usa)
    structure similar to congo, slightly more indica leaning. similar smell to congo thin leaves
    1 Rosa Parks (Amber Rose x Deadweight OG)
    straing bitch, fat leaves that have no coloration issues, they just curl downwards.... she's in the same mix and everything as all the other plants.
    1 Bubba 76 (Bubba Kush x Afgan Kush)
    Can't say much on this one at the moment. i fucked up it's tap root early on and it hasn't grown right since. gonna take a clone and see if i can get a proper plant from that.
    1 Star Trek (Sensi Star x Trainwrek)
    she seems to be a bushy bitch, smells kinda like headband. fat leaves

7 plants in all, 6 different strains. I apologize purfusely, I'm using my computer to post this cause it's easier for me to type, but I have no pictures on here yet.

For now, confessions time! I burnt the fuck outta my plants a little less than a month ago, most of them, other than the EGP's were still seedlings as well. Now you must be wondering why this has happened YET AGAIN (view my old forum if you want to know) I decided shortly before flipping that i was going to transplant into a coco coir mix of my own. I have been building organic soil mixes for years and know the basics of everything, i don't have measurements as far as amendments go cause i eyeball everything. Anyhow, the only thing I had forgotten to account for was the fact  that coco coir holds onto any and all salts and requires a flush before, and at least once every other week. Even with organic amendments you'll unfortunately still get that salt buildup. In the past I would've made the mix too rich and burnt the plants with too much nitrogen. this time it was just because I didn't account for the change in soil mix and the tendencies of the new medium. Over the course of a week I did 2 heavy flushes on all the plants and they VERY quickly recovered.

I also decided shortly after they recovered to start flower, they are 12 days in now, and things seem to be progessing, but slowly. the temps in my area have been going haywire, as well as humidity. cold temps during lights off are causing slow flower deveopment, and i turn my lights off when it's warmer outside (daytime) 8pm-8am are my light's hours for flower. Hopefully as the weather stablizes a bit more it'll speed up progress.

10. Subbed:) keep it up bro
    Where did you find that electric grape?

11. Portland, a buddy grower of mine that lives 2 hours away. If you're on IG his profile is @skyhighatrist I think he gave me Pheno 3 if you can find that back in his feed

12. Nice got some.good strains there. Any updates on the girls?

13. Nothing further to report than what was in my last update. Hopefully gonna get in yhere and take some good pics tonight. Temp fluctuations have probably put me back a week or so with flower though. Nothing has shown sex other than the EGP clones, they have pistols shooting out everywhere.

14. Nice bro , starting my geow journal probably today. But your progress is good keep it up bro :)

15. Ill be on your journal watching progress and talking. Since no one subbed yet surprisingly

16. Good luck to you with your grow man. Thanks for the sub as well. Feel free to ask questions and chime in with your own opinion. We're all here to learn.

17. Thank you I'm super excited, i setuo my tent yesterday in my grow room. Making sure first time goes smoothly as possible

18. Double check all seams with those tents. Some tend to have small light leaks in the seams

19. I read that apollo has a little bit of light leaks i can stitch so i think i got it under control

20. Hey bro, Now following!

What happened to the Bay 11? 

And what's convinced you that you can in fact "flush" and organic soil, or that you need to?
    Not AT ALL challenging you or something like that, I've just learned that you can't "flush" and organic soil because our humus content is there to hold onto the ions within.
    Are you feeding your plants something in bottles too? 
    This is the first I've heard of someone solving organic problems with a flush, so I'm very interested haha!

Good luck and take care