Organic cloning

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dizzyDnutz, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Thanks for the heads up I'm so excited to try it. :)

2. I just use my DIY Bubble cloner, No additives. With just the water bubbling I get 3 cm (1 Inch) roots usually in 14-21 days. This has been my best cloning method usually 90-100% success. I have also had some success putting a clone in Peat moss inside of a glass jar, usually same time for roots, just not as great rooting %.I had read that Aloe Vera was useful for rooting, never actually tried it. Might try adding some drops to my bubble cloner to see if it aids in faster rooting. I'm just worried about contaminating the Cloner, before I used rooting powder, it slightly gave me more roots, but left the Cloner filthy, it was clogging my air stones. Since doing only water I haven't had that problem, and I am very pleased too. It really was a lot of work to clean it, and never really got it 100%.Anyways, I clone from mothers that are in soil, then transplant into soil. I have noticed that there is stress, and it is reduced if I transplant into Hempy, instead of soil. Now with the mycorrizae I have noticed that it doesn't help at all, until the plant reaches a certain maturity after being cloned and transplanted, unlike when applied to seeds/seedlings.As for working with organics, if you add "inorganics" it may damage the organics, and slow down growth. Then again it depends on the health of the plant.Just my experience :)

3. literally same exact set up for me... i found that the humidity switch from the cloner to the soil was drastic and that was causing my clone stress.... i cut the top off of a soda bottle and put it over them for a few days and then i was able to take it off.... if i let the roots go crazy before i transplant them then they wont stress either...

i noticed that when its really humid outside they clone a lot better, ive cloned them with only 1 little tiny root poking from the stem and they had no stress because it was humid outside...

less humidity in the air = more roots before transplant into soil

maybe thats whats causing your stress? not sure just thought id share anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #24 lupuzx, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
    Yes the change in humidity could also affect my transplant, I am just sceptical about covering the freshly transplanted clones, because under my MH it could cook them, and under my Flouro it could be too humid, since there is not the same heat.
    Also what you say about more roots is true, I have noticed less stunting, but then again I also find the healthier the mother plant from which you clone, the more vigor the clone exhibits while rooting, and less transplant shock.
    I do live in a very humid climet, usually is hard for it to go under 60% RH, unless in the boxes with HID, where my lowest has been 45% I believe.

5. Back in SoFl cloning was a snap since the humidity was always 80-90% (Recently, they had a day of 20% humidity and it actually made the front page news. My Dad informed me).

Where I am now, the humidity can go from 20% to 100% in less than 24 hrs and back down to under 40% a couple of days later. For the first time ever, I had to start using a dome.

A whole new learning curve in cloning.

Wet

6. [quote name="sbgrowery" post="21385725" timestamp="1425477674"]literally same exact set up for me... i found that the humidity switch from the cloner to the soil was drastic and that was causing my clone stress.... i cut the top off of a soda bottle and put it over them for a few days and then i was able to take it off.... if i let the roots go crazy before i transplant them then they wont stress either...

i noticed that when its really humid outside they clone a lot better, ive cloned them with only 1 little tiny root poking from the stem and they had no stress because it was humid outside...

I am having huge stress issues big time.. my organic way that I have been doing is all water and then punching the clone thru aloe for a min or two and then putting into my diy cloner. It's been very successful but my problem is the stress from cloner to soil. They wilt and look like they are dying and end up with very crisp leaves. I will try the soda bottle method to see if this helps. Hope so :/ cloning purple og#18

7. [quote name="dizzyDnutz" post="21387293" timestamp="1425503138"][quote name="sbgrowery" post="21385725" timestamp="1425477674"]literally same exact set up for me... i found that the humidity switch from the cloner to the soil was drastic and that was causing my clone stress.... i cut the top off of a soda bottle and put it over them for a few days and then i was able to take it off.... if i let the roots go crazy before i transplant them then they wont stress either...

I am having huge stress issues big time.. my organic way that I have been doing is all water and then punching the clone thru aloe for a min or two and then putting into my diy cloner. It's been very successful but my problem is the stress from cloner to soil. They wilt and look like they are dying and end up with very crisp leaves. I will try the soda bottle method to see if this helps. Hope so :/ cloning purple og#18[/quote]

yeah could be from lack of moisture, just use the top portion of the bottle, take the cap off and its a perfect little humidtity dome... i would mist them as well...

let me know if it works or if it doesnt work

8. if youre afriad theyll get fried under the light then you could just put them in the room with something to shade them... you barley need any light at all to clone, just enough to keep them on track pretty much

9. #30 MindBender01, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    Now I wanna toss an aloe Vera plant in the veg room!!!! Just so happens, that's where the cloner is!!!

10. I've done clones in rapid rooters with and without gel, in soil with or without gel, and straight into rabbit manure all with good results. Using cloning gel does improve results some over all but the rabbit manure that was 15/15. I also usually spray water to both foliage and the roots.

11. #32 lupuzx, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Same thing happens to me, they're perfect in the cloner, once I put them in soil the leaf tips burn/crisp and wilt, I am currently testing out the soda bottle trick.

Since I got my Flouro tubes, I have been putting my clones there, they don't wilt as bad as in HID,  they just don't grow that fast...

Kudos for Rabbit manure, it may sound retarded but I can't root in soil :p (I know it should theoretically be the easiest way -> imitating Nature FTW) I haven't tried gel, only powder it helps, but in hydro cloner I had better success without rooting agent.... Actually managed to get roots on a single leaf!
    View attachment 152981

12. Like, cut clone, strip outer layer, stick in rabbit manure (composted?), and they root? Hhhmmmmmm........

13. yeah if they are wilting less under flouros, then the soda bottle trick should work... just dont forget to mist em

and thats crazy i had no idea you coyld get a single leaf to root!!! you got to try that again but you should grow it out... cuz like what the hell would it do? you think it would start to try and form chutes or something or would it just be leaf forever...lol

14. Try misting the inside of the dome (or soda bottle) instead of spraying the actual plant.

They seem to like it better.

j

15. This is actually what I have been doing. Mine might have fried before I could get it to bounce back. It's currently under a few t5 high output bulbs 24 hrs a day. hasn't came back yet since wilted. Has been almost 48 hrs since I have tried the soda bottle with no luck.

16. Hahaha yea... i planted it, though it never really grew, the leaf eventually died, but left a big root ball.
    so far with neither of my clones are wilting :)
    View attachment 153061 View attachment 153055

17. yoooooooooo shit thats crazy man! lol thats sick but yeah im glad your problem is solved though thats great news!

18. I took a clone from my flowering skunk x haze. I have never grown this before and it was an unknown sex so I wasn't sure but I heard some decent things about this strain. Aka "fuma con Diablos" or "smoker with devils". Devil smoke just seems easier to say tho. Lol. I got it to obviously root in my cloner after 10 days and is now hopefully going to start it's veg cycle! I am using the soda bottle method this time right off bat and it seems to be working well. I will keep updated

19. #40 StayLowGrows, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    Bottles keep the humidity up because of that dome shape at the head. Whatever it's called.

Plain water works just fine with a temperature of 85f in the grow area. Mine hit's 90 sometimes. IDC. Works great. I do not use a fan in tis space for fresh cuts. Not the fastest. Not the fanciest. But, obviously the simplest.

And it goes beyond organic to where I try to be. More natural. Minus being in nature, but I'm closer than most [​IMG]