Movies that capture your culture

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RoosterCogburn, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Anyone know any movies that are based in your home country that give an accurate look at what life is like in your homeland. Here in Ireland we have some fantastic movies that give someone from another country a glimpse of Irish life.

Here are some to name a few. Some of these are old but the depict an accurate picture of the era they are set in.

.The Field
    .Song for a Raggy Boy (viewer discretion advised)
    .The Snapper
    .Perriers Bounty
    .The Wind That Shakes The Barley
    .Calvary (2014)( most recent and  shows accurate picture of rural Ireland today)

Please share with some movies and tv shows that capture your cuture on screen.

Peace and Love guys

2. Belly = NYC urban areas

3. #3 xLDKx NewYorker, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    OP

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    Cheech and Chong (all)
    Me and my friends were pothead loser bmx people... We were also pretty retarded... And, boy do I mean retarded...

But in all seriousness
    I have no idea my brains shitting out on me...
    If there's a movie about living in a white trash gritty suburban ghetto, which I'm sure there is, that would fit the bill.
    I'd like to know some if you do though... I'm a video game\\Star Trek buff (show&movies... I wouldn't even waste my time pirating the Star Trek games) but I'm not so much a movie buff...

Belly
    Nvm guess that explains it, I'll have to look it up
    Although Capital District Area so maybe not

4. For America though... I'd have to say Cops lolololol

Louis C.K FX Show
    Louis
    Sums up East Coast for an Awkward fat guy... So basically me haha

I can't think of anything else to be honest

5. dazed and confused, it was even filmed in the city I live in

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Blood In Blood Out
    Cheech And Chong (all)
    Taxi Driver
    The Warriors ... lol

7. #7 TimothyTheFirst, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    I was never really a fan of the movie 8 Mile, but it was set locally.

I think Boyz N Tha Hood was the best/most realistic look at how life actually is though.  

I always liked Clerks...  because I used to be a Clerk, and I could relate to that shit.

8. Not a movie, but Wilfred, the original Australia TV series. Pretty accurate depiction haha.

I'd say Dazed And Confused perfectly captures the culture of my youth.  I wasn't alive in the 70's, but small-town Texas life didn't change all that much between then and the 90's.  These days I'd say Office Space is more accurate.

10. I'm a huge fan of historically-set cinema, mostly that which represents my country of origin. I love the way my people carved a life out of very hostile conditions, not that I care much for the politics or social order but I do have a fondness for the self-sufficiency of the American frontiersman.

Any Clint Eastwood western... GBU, Fistful, Unforgiven, of course. The Patriot is an historically accurate portrayal of the absolute ridiculousness with which war was fought in the 18th century, while at the same time representing the common-sense of the average family man which a lot of us can relate to. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly represent the horrors of the civil war. The Color Purple was a riveting film about rural life for blacks in early 20th century America.

Tonight I watched The Retrieval, set in 1864 towards the end of the civil war. Not a big fan of cultural marxist propaganda like 12 years or django but this film is more than that. Slavery is an underlying theme but it doesn't overpower the narrative, anybody who's ever had a role model can relate to this film in a deeply emotional way.

2 free blacks are sent by white bounty hunters to lure another free black into slave-held territory, under threat of course. An adult and an uneducated 14 year old whom he uses for schemes and whatnot, helping whitey catch runaway slaves or whatever the job calls for. Kid starts admiring and looking up to one of their bounties which sparks some jealousy and sense of self-preservation in his current mentor, and some very confused emotions in the kid. While seeing the pain and hurt caused by what he's forced to do under threat of violence and death, it's interesting to see the narrative play out without all the white guilt propaganda that's been so popular as of late.

A lot of the film takes place in the woods, great visuals but they do visit a settlement of freedmen and cross a civil war battle or two.