Organic Soil *Icing on cake*

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by nappyvibe, Jan 21, 2015.

1. I found this alarming when I first read. Upon further investigation I came across this: http://www.supremefulvic.com/documents/pdf/8.fulvic.acid.report.pdf

any thoughts?

2. #22 GiMiK, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    What about it? It seems to be fairly biased in it's statements but also supplies valid references, though fails to address the point I brought up with LD's quote.

It's not the fact that Al is present, it's the removal of its bonds to the silicate ion that matter in regards to toxicity. 

Since Al is the most abundant element in the soil, but the soluble Al+++ is the toxic form, we need to know how much Al+++ is present in the soil and what controls its availability to plants. The availability of Al+++ is not completely understood, but certain soil factors are known to have a significant effect.
    • The total amount of Al present in a particular soil type
    • The soil pH
    • The types and amounts of clay in the soil
    • Soilorganic matter
    \nThe last one, soil organic matter, is important because organic matter produces humic and fulvic acids... which are chelating agents that break apart the alumina-silicate bond.  If you start adding more humic/fulvic (which is normally good), you are going to drastically increase the soluble Al+++, which is the toxic form.
    \n\n\nIn small amounts azomite is quite beneficial....at anything resembling the rates we advise for rock dust you will likely have issues down the road. 
    \nIt's more about being proactive rather than having to react down the road, should problems surface. I also don't see the need for additional sources of minerals when I supply everything azomite has to offer through other materials.
    \nLike I said before, I build my soils for the long haul and thus plan around long term management.
    \nGranted, I have yet to witness confirmed aluminum toxicity but I would rather not deal with the prospect of potential imbalance in something I've worked so hard to build.

3. Well said.

J

i used to think that also, but it's actually 6.4 gallons per dry cubic foot. all these years i never realized that i was measuring that far off. lol

7.5 gallons is a wet cubic foot.

5. Meh.  :bongin:

I'll still make 1.5 five gallon buckets worth = 1 c.f. for future mixes. Easier than trying to gauge 1.3 every time. 

6. How about a moist cubic foot?

J

The single most important thing for an organic grower is the soil mix.  We have learned very little about your mix regarding it's proportions or the quality of your humus component.

You could be using ten cups of alfalfa per cubic foot or a tablespoon?  Who knows? Any advice without this knowledge is simply invalid.

You could be growing in 90% peat moss?

There is absolutely no basis for even a simple conversation. This is why the boards get so damn tiresome.