Advice from Piano people needed

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by pussyslut, Jan 21, 2015.

Hi there
    I wasn't sure where to post this, because I am looking for a "work out" but I am looking for an atypical one.
    Are there any piano players on GC? When you were first starting out, were there any hand exercises or lower-forearm muscle building exercises that you do to build up a tolerance to moving your fingers quickly and for an extended period of time?
    I am looking to "beef up" my lower arms and fingers lol I need some advice, I know I am doing some toning just through practice because I can feel my hands and arms hurting but I want more, I want to step it up a bit and increase process.

Any help please for a poor soul?  :cry:

2. I can't help but I really want to learn piano, like really really badly.

3. grip and finger trainers... like:
    http://goo.gl/hZEZBx

usually popular with guitar players, but the idea is the same. 

4. #4 BuryMeInTrichs, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    Get a wooden rod or something easy to hold in your hands about 1.5 to 2 feet long

In the center tie a strong string or  small rope, the length of about three feet maybe smaller depending on how tall you are... with a weight attached to the end, it could be anything really.... I use a 5 lb weight normally

Now hold this contraption out directly in front of you, with a hand on each side of the rope, and roll it up and down, up and down both directions...

I wish I knew a technical name for this so I could look it up and show a picture... maybe Ill take one if you cant figure it out lol. Its really simple and will definitely increase your lower arm strength and endurance

5. Hey, I just started playing piano! Working on noob songs like "jingle bells" and learning to read sheet music.Try "reverse curls" for your forearms and fingers. They are just like regular bicep curls, except you hold the barbell with a palms-down grip instead of palms-up.

6. This definitely is one I am going to try, I can see where some of those muscles I want to work come into play.
    I'm not a musician, but the movement is much the same, I figured piano players would be the best people to ask, but I can see now how guitar players would also have a lot to contribute to this as well :)

On my way though, starting to have constant throbbing pain in my lower forearm and my fingers have been swelling a bit, hopefully it will stop hurting after a few more weeks of this  :(

7. Yeah you inspired me to start using it again its been a while lol... Its a great arm workout

8. play lots and lots of scales and exercises.

External.workouts wont help that much. You need real practice

-yuri

9. See the thing is I am not actually learning an instrument such as piano, but I am doing something similar in movements to how one would play a piano, that is why I thought maybe there were certain exercises that piano players maybe did for their hands.
    I am practicing as much as I am able to in a day, but I look at it like this. Say I wanted to learn basketball, but I have never played before. It is helpful to practice the drills and learn the theory and practice playing the game, but it would help even MORE if you also maybe ran for a half hour a day and did some squats and arm exercises as well.
    All I am looking for is something I can supplement on the side of practice to help increase my hand and lower arm strength.
    I am getting better, just not as quickly as I would like. I need an edge lol

10. Could try boxing, great work for the wrists/forearms. Pull ups with a towel wrapped around the bar will help as well. Good Luck :)

11. I think I would be scared of hurting my fingers with boxing, I know they're inside those gloves but still. I can't risk spraining or breaking one of these little dudes.
    I'm basically training my fingers for writing. Right now I can write around 90WPM when I focus, and I have to be able to write 140WPM by the end of April. So I figure if I step up my game as far as exercising my fingers and lower arm muscles, then hopefully that will carry me some of the way in accomplishing this.

12. I'm confused. Are you looking to play the piano faster or type faster? Or both? I'm really jealous if you can play the piano fast enough to get a burn in your forearms. Shit, I am so slow at reading sheet music and so lame at improvising that I get no kind of workout from playing piano.What I think you should do besides just try to work out your forearms is stretch and massage them. It sounds like they are getting tired because the muscles are tight. Working them out will just make them tighter. Stretch and massage to improve circulation!