Sannies Jack Herijuana

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by BlueberryWindow, Jan 21, 2015.

1. #41 VaWaveRider, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    I've never tried Herojuana, but it's one of the top strains on my "to grow" list. I'll keep an eye on this one. 

Thanks for checking it out - welcome aboard!

3. Update time with some new pics. They're all looking pretty good and healthy - still some spots on some leaves, but nothing that I'm worrying much about. I also gave them their first feeding of flowering nutes yesterday. I'm still planning to swap out the MH bulb for the 1000w HPS this weekend. I've been doing light defoliation every time I water - again just picking overly shadowed/damaged leaves. I also haven't had that musty smell at all lately, so I think adding the dehumidifier and keeping the exhaust on has helped substantially.

Day 10 flowering:

All Four - filling up that box quite nicely, eh?
    All Four.jpg   All Four (2).jpg   All Four (3).jpg   All Four (height).jpg

Jack #1 - hasn't stretched nearly as much as I expected; she's the shortest of the four, coming in at ~19 inches
    Jack #1.jpg   Jack #1 (height).jpg

Jack #2 - she's ~22 inches now; more what I expected as far as height, but still not much taller than the Herijuana gals
    Jack #2.jpg   Jack #2 (height).jpg

Herijuana #1 - about 21 inches and lookin' great
    Herijuana #1.jpg   Herijuana #1 (height).jpg

Herijuana #2 - just over 22 inches (she's the tallest)
    Herijuana #2.jpg   Herijuana #2 (height).jpg

Temp/Humidity - hasn't been perfect, but I'm content with it. Humidity has been staying 30-50% during light, going up to 60-65% during dark. Temp staying high 70s/low 80s F during light, and mid 60s F during dark.
    Temp & Humidity.jpg

4. They are looking great! Lots of great pics

5. yeah the humidity is very important. if you have the amps and $ for it overkill on the Dehumidifier and AC make the grow a lot easier and bigger and better tasting :) do give the longer dark period a try and if you get the humidity under control at the end of flower you could try putting your MH back in at the end you will get a big frosty surprise. Paka looks good Brada 

I wish I could invest a ton more money to dial in the climate perfectly. Unfortunately, I'm already over budget and can't really justify spending more for top-notch temp/humidity controls. It's definitely towards the top of my list for future grows/setups though. I've been reading more lately about putting the MH back in for the last bit of flowering - I definitely won't be doing that for the Herijuana plants since the Jacks will be mid flower at that point. Maybe I'll give it a try for the Jacks though. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good how everything is going considering I haven't grown in 5 years, and since this is my first serious attempt. Thanks for chiming in!

7. Quick update with some pics. As planned, I switched out the MH bulb for the HPS this morning. As feared, already having some heat issues - I went to check the temp about an hour after lights on, and it was sitting at 95 F. The light needed to be moved up a few inches anyway, and I refilled the cool-mist humidifier, so I'm hoping both of those adjustments help a bit. If not, I'm going to need to figure something else out pretty quick. Part of the problem at this point is that the plants are filling up the space so much (which I guess could be a good thing too), so I don't really have room to put anything else in the box. We'll see how it goes over the next few hours/days.

Getting hard to take good pics of the individual plants while they're all in the box, so bear with me. I'll try to snap a few of each when I have them out of the box for watering in a few days. 3 of the 4 plants are now over 2 ft tall - Jack #1 is still the shortest but has been catching back up in the last few days. I think the Herijuana plants are pretty much done with their stretch, and they're both starting to show some early budding which is making me very excited.

Some pics from a bit ago - day 15 flower:

All Four
    All Four.jpg   All Four (2).jpg

Jack #1
    Jack #1.jpg

Jack #2
    Jack #2.jpg

Herijuana #1
    Herijuana #1.jpg   Herijuana #1 (bud).jpg

Herijuana #2
    Herijuana #2.jpg   Herijuana #2 (bud).jpg

8. Looks good.... Mine just started to show early flowers too on pretty excited about that. Are yours 8 week strains

Thanks, kush. I've been keeping an eye on yours too - happy that you started seeing some flowers.

The Herijuana are listed as 7-9 weeks on Sannie's site, but I've read a lot of folks who let her go 9.5 weeks. I'll definitely be using a scope to check trics and will be cutting based on that. I'm thinking of taking one at 25%-50% amber and the other at 75% amber; I've read that Herijuana is "optimal" at 75+% amber (which I'd guess is the 9.5 week mark). But just in case it ends up being a super knock-out stone, I figure taking one a bit sooner will give me a different profile/effect and might be a good evening relaxation stone vs. a put-me-to-sleep stone. Either way, it'd be nice to have a comparison of different harvest times and how they alter the smell/taste/effect, and I'm always a fan of variety. Plus it helps break up the harvest/trimming duties as I won't have to do all at once.

The Jack are listed as 11-13 week, but I've seen some journals where harvest was as early as 9 and as late as 14. Thinking of possibly trying different harvest times with her as well, but still on the fence. I was thinking that it'd be cool to have a super-heady batch of Jack, a mellow-heady batch, then a mellow-stone Herijuana, and a knock-out Herijuana - not sure if it'd work out like that, but it may be worth a try. Variety is the spice of life.

10. That sounds good. I read that early harvests produce more energetic high while late produces more of a couch lock. It sounds like it should work out fine. You will have to let me know how harvesting at different times goes.

11. #51 sb420abc, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    You're killing it bro, great job! The plants are beautiful. I'd definitely keep an eye on the Herijuana for herms, especially if you are using fem beans (which I didn't even know sannie made). Do you have a place to grow outside?

Thanks, TMG! Appreciate the love. I've been on the lookout for herming, but haven't noticed anything yet - will definitely keep my eye on it throughout. I don't have a place I can use outside right now. How did that Jack Squared turn out?

13. The jack squared turned out pretty good. I've got four running now doing some further pheno isolation. Keep up the good work.

14. Just wanted to update on the heat issues. After trying different fan configurations, blasting the cool-mister, and raising the light, heat was still a big problem - was lucky to dip below 90F during lights on. I started leaving the door of the box cracked open, which seemed to help somewhat (mid 80s), but that's not really a long term solution as my ladies will probably start smelling quite a bit in the next few weeks and I'd like to be able to seal up the box (otherwise that carbon filter was a waste of money). I almost bit the bullet and bought a cheap cool-tube, but I'm already way over budget on this first cycle and I'd rather wait til I can invest in a nice air-cooled reflector. Instead, I did some research about dimming the bulb, and I ended up dimming my 1000W HPS bulb down to 630W (600W + boost setting on the Matrix ballast). I know it will diminish the lamp life and that the color spectrum might be distorted somewhat, but it did the trick. I also read a few studies showing that the color spectrum isn't impacted much until below 50% dim, so I'm thinking it'll be okay at 63%. I was able to move the light down closer to the plants again, and my temp is staying ~80F. I'm hoping that'll remain the case even as the warmer summer months approach, but I'll just have to wait and see.

15. Gettin' some frost! Noticed it a few days ago. Had the ladies out of the box today so figured I'd snap some pics. Haven't taken height measurements lately, but it doesn't look like the Herijuana have grown any more vertically since about a week ago. The Jacks have a bit, but not much - I'm very surprised that they haven't stretched more than they have, but I'm guessing they'll continue stretching over the next week or two (at least from what I've read about Sannie's Jack).

Here are some pics from earlier today, day 21 of flower.

All Four
    All Four.jpg

Jack #1
    Jack #1.jpg   Jack #1 (height).jpg

Jack #2
    Jack #2.jpg   Jack #2 (height).jpg

Herijuana #1
    Herijuana #1.jpg Herijuana #1 (height).jpg   Herijuana #1 (cola).jpg

Herijuana #2 - included a pic of one of the bud sites where the whorled phyllotaxy mutation occurred
    Herijuana #2.jpg   Herijuana #2 (height).jpg   Herijuana #2 (cola).jpg   Herijuana #2 (whorled phyllotaxy buds).jpg

Happy growing!

16. Damn some good looking ladies you got there! keep up the good work!!

17. Your ladies are looking GOOD! Buds are filling up nicely. Mine are still only little bumps with white hairs lol

18. I leaned down to move some leaves around today and got the first hint of Jack's sweet smell. Only a very subtle scent right now, and I had to get real close to make it out, but definitely that unique smell of Jack Herer - brought me back to the first time I smelled/smoked it and put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. I wish I had a way to share that smell with you all; imo, Jack Herer is the best smelling strain I've had the pleasure to come across. The Jacks are both starting to produce some early budding.

Also forgot to mention that I did another topcoat of dolomite lime on the Herijuana gals with the last feeding. They were both showing some early cal deficiencies and it's been almost 2 months since I did the initial topcoat of it. The Jacks didn't look to need any.

19. Seeking some help!

My gals have taken a turn for the worse in the last several days. First, I noticed that they weren't taking up water nearly as fast as before - I had been watering every 4-5 days, but by day 5, they were still very wet/heavy. This happened to all four of them. Then the leaves started to get a lot of brownish spots all over and then yellowed. This started primarily on the two Herijuana plants (which is why I gave some dolomite lime a week or so ago), but then the Jacks started to show it as well.

The lime I gave to the Herijuana gals didn't seem to help at all - problems actually got worse. The soil for all the plants seemed to dry out a bit as of yesterday, so that's when I gave them another watering (which was 8 days since previous watering). I did RO water with only CaMg+ (no other nutes). As of today, there still seems to be new spots coming in. For reference, I had been giving full dosage of nutes (according to the GO schedule) before this happened.

Here's a pic of one of the leaves on the Herijuana:
    Spots & Yellowing.jpg

My temps haven't changed much in the last couple weeks, so I'm not sure if that's causing it. My daytime temp is staying around 80F (though has gotten up to 84 on occasion, but not often). My nighttime temp is around 62F, give or take a few degrees. The humidity is staying in the 40-60% range pretty consistently through day & night. I don't think I'll be able to lower the temp much, so I'm hoping that's not the problem. I'll also be doing another batch of CO2 soon, so that may help with the heat if the heat is the problem.

I've been doing a lot of reading, and had previously thought it was calcium def (which is why I added more lime before and gave CaMg+ yesterday). I guess it could be a buildup in the soil or a toxicity of something else that is causing lockout. I'm just not sure anymore. I've also started to notice that some of the tips of leaves are curling up (though not many), and some leaves are canoeing a bit. I know that yellowing/dying fan leaves is common in flowering, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be to this extent or this early in flowering (just started week 5). I did do some defoliation of bad leaves, but didn't want to take too much off the plant and add more stress.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any additional info. For the record, the bud sites all look pretty healthy still and continue to grow/develop. I have started to see some early spotting on the Herijuana sugar leaves, so I'm hoping I can correct this before it gets to the buds. 

20. I'm no expert but I would say give them a good flush and only give the light feedings for the next week or so. The damage that is already done won't get better but the new growth should improve. What Ph is the water your using