Well it looks like you CAN top an auto

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Purpkushh, Jan 20, 2015.

1. So everybody has told me not to top autos but I did a little test on two of my autos. One has been left normal and one I topped. Now asuming using the typical 3rd or 4th node cut to top this plant would most likely result in you chopping the begining of the cola, so i cut at about the 2nd node after some growth. SO now its been a month and both plants are about the same height, and the topped plant has produced almost double the bud sites. Now this is something i plan to try on my next few seeds coming into the box.

Im using a 300watt LED and fox farm trio nutes! Herea some pics

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. That's cool, usually I will see people ask if it can be done and most the replies say not to do it because they have such a short life. What strain of auto are you growing? I will have to follow you to see if you have the same results with different autos. How close do you keep your led from the plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. thats awesome

4. Its auto hindu kush so only expecting 14 inches or so of growth the lights about 6 1/2 inches above the canopy. Both plants are 7 inches currently and just over a month old. Strain index says the strain will only flower for about 56 days soo im gonna add 10 or so more days so probably 66. I guess ill see which has the larger yeild in the end. Although im having some yellowing and burning of lower leaves. Trying to figure out whats going on, im thinking its nute burn because of Super Thrive. Unfortunately my pH meter is giving off the same rating everytime so i think i need a new one also i lost my ph meter for water and have no ppm meter. Really have to pick one up soon

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Awesome to see. I too have been skeptical. This is my first time growing autos, and i have 2 northern lights started one at 6 days the other at 2 days i think i will try to top or at very least LST the younger one. Most likely im going to try and top it after seeing how yours turned out.

And you said you topped it at the 2nd node? 

6. I did, i watched a video one youtube and a grower, who unfortunately i dont remember who, said screw waiting and top it after the second or third node, let me see if i took a picture!

Ahhh i do have some! Hopefully this will help! I really plan to try this agin once my few other seeds sprout but for now I watch and wait! I also added the one with out being topped at the same time as the topping.

Both auto HinduKush, started under CFL and then changed over to LED

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. #8 ProGMOII, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
    I topped a photo to the first set of single leaves after the 1st node or 3 leaf set was full. OK the lamp burned them when it slipped from the clamp. 4 ozs with 150hps. Will try again with OG Kush.

8. This is good data man.  Good stuff.

I love how you're challenging conventional theory successfully!

• Like Like x 1
  9. One thing i will add is when I topped the auto, I was using a drop of super thrive in every other watering for 4 feedings. I also used one of my smaller fans to blow on that particular plant for awhile to build a strong stem. This strain is more of an Indica aswell so not as much stretch like a sativa. That may also have an affect with the whole topping!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soo what do you guys think is happening here?? Nute burn? Too little nitro? Or just the plant pulling the nitrogen away and to the buds?

Attached Files:

11. ^ True. My last grow was 5 short rider autos with a co2 boost bucket an 600w mh/hps. They grew to at least 3 to 4 feet (supposed to be tiny) lol tall with an ounce or more on each plant. I'm really glad you posted this because I started 5 more the other day and will be topping a couple now!

12. Any ideas on this leaf?? Nothing ive seen before!

Attached Files:

13. Could be magnesium deficiency due to the purple stems but with the leaves that way it might be different. I'm going to see my grow guy tomorrow (professional grower) he owns a hydronic and indoor garden store I'll show him he's pretty knowledgeable he grows some amazing bud

14. Are you supplementing anything to feed your soil, fox farm trio (not sure which bottle) is not organic therefore kills microbes (i think that's the word lol) in soil. But I would bet this is a def. Of some sort. I'm a beginner to but have really good resource. I was convinced to stay away from ff fertilizers but their organic soil kicks ass ( happy frog and of)

15. Im using fox farm nutes, the trio pack specifically, I wanted to use other nutes but these were the most talked about!

16. I used 4 teaspoons of big bloom and 1 teaspoon of grow big then i fed them 6 teaspoons of big bloom and 2 of grow big

17. Yea I really wanted to use them to for that reason but after learning alot about maintaining healthy soil they were not the best option. You should consider adding molasses to your water. What's your ph level? How old is plant? How far into stage? Here's a helpful link at the bottom I think its calcium (spotty leaves) and magnesium ( purp stems) deficiencies. Check your soil and fert. Specs top see if you even have this in your grow but this is just my opinion lol
    http://www.theweedblog.com/21-tips-to-solve-nutrients-deficiencies-in-marijuana-plants/