First grow - absolute noob - equipment opinion

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by howzcat, Jan 18, 2015.

1. I'm also doing my first grow in a 0.60x0.60m tent and bought the same fan as you, I think (picture below). I tried everything to dampen it down, I even bought a silencer and purchased a sonodeck ventilation hose thinking the noise was coming from the air that's being moved. After a while I came to the conclusion that that fan's motor was making the most noise. Then I bought a new fan 360m³/h with a thermostat and fan speed controller on it for €100.. I put the new fan at approximately 40% and it's WAY more silent than the other one. My grow tent is 2 meters, 6 feet away from my bed and I can sleep just fine.

IMG_0065.JPG IMG_00661.JPG IMG_0060.JPG

2. #42 howzcat, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Down the way I'll definitely get one of those, I knew this fan was crap but for now I've devised a way to get the tent out of my room into another space, its a bit weird, but works better. Next investment will be a good filter!
    I'll still try a dyi muffler,smaller, in mdf, so I can have it inside the tent, and get noise down a bit.
    All 4 seeds potted now, just waiting for the ladies :)

Edit: bajabudz, since I don't have weed now I was drinking some scotch and I didn't see the 3rd photo properly..holy sh.., your setup looks sick! That's a filter on the right? Are you using a ds60 or another tent?

3. I have a tent 2 feet from my bed, it has a 4" and a 5" systemair fans running 24/0 and I have no trouble sleeping , they don't make much noise

[​IMG]

4. Very very cool! I'll look into those systemair fans.

5. Yeah, that's a filter on the bottom, then a silencer, then my fan, and then a sonodeck. And yes, that's a DS60. Sorry to hijack this topic, but if anyone sees an improvement that can be made in my tent, let me know! :) thanks

6. No problem man :) it interests me too aha besides there's not much news today (this is getting to be a kind of journal). I'll keep updating the progress with pics and all.
    As for suggestions, I clearly can't help you there lol very clean looking setup dude

7. Just an update, two of the ladies are already sprouting :)
    It's been hard maintaining temps. I do 18/6, the dark cycle from 10 to 16, the hottest part of the day - but this afternoon the temp was 14 degrees C. During the light cycle I keep around 24 - 28 C depending on if I'm using the fan or not.

Attached Files:

8. The leaves are kinda drooping a little, but they don't seem dry - I'm guessing overwater? I have given them very short amounts of water..
    The last picture, I don't know if you can tell, but the end of one leaf is somewhat yellowing. Help, please :)

Attached Files:

They all look good mate. In the first picture it looks like you are using cut down bottles for pots. Those ribs might cause you some arse-ache when you need to transplant to a bigger pot.

The plants are a bit washed out with yellow from the HPS light so I can't tell if the plants have a good colour. The little brown bits look like splash damage to me. Could you have gotten the leaf wet at some point? I don't know why wetting a leave can do so much damage, and it certainly doesn't happen every time, but it definitely happens

10. Thanks for looking them over, was getting worried.
    I know they're not ideal pots, but they were all I had. When I need to transplant I think I'll just cut up the sides :)

I've been careful not to splash them, but its definitely possible that happened..I hope its that!
    Yeah I know the photos are shitty. Tomorrow with day light I'll take better photos and post them here - maybe quote you so you get notified? :)
    I've been using something like 0.5 liters of water for all 4 plants each watering, every 2 days...now I'm letting the soil totally dry so I'll only water tomorrow (3 days without watering). Been trying my best not to overwater since I hear that's the most common mistake.

11. Overall they look really good so I'm sure there is no need for worry.

I won't get notified, I have them all turned off, but ill stop by when I see there is a new post on here.

Sounds like you have the watering sorted. Yeah I think watering too often has got to be the number 1 most common problem.  use plenty of water when you do water though, you can't run too much through the soil really, as long as you give them sufficient amount of time between waterings to allow air to the roots 

12. Took some photos with better light.
    First 2 photos: biggest, healthiest looking plant.
    Photos 3,4 and 5 its the dropping/yellowing plant.
    Last 2 photos the 2 smallest plants (about 5 days behind).

About the second plant, the yellowing is in both leaves, so I'm sure it's not splash damage :/

Attached Files:

13. It was definitely the soil! Too hot :( just riding it out for now

14. Its time to remove the plastic top, plant them in solo cups.

15. should I transplant now? They seem a bit fragile lol
    But you can see the roots through the bottom

16. The markings look like they might be a little overdosed with nutes. The crinkled leaves suggest it's been a bit too hot at some point. But there is nothing too alarming really

17. Is it time to transplant the little ones? What type of soil should I avoid?

18. Well, I transplanted the little ones into 1,5 gallon pots, lets see how it goes.