First grow - absolute noob - equipment opinion

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by howzcat, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Really? How about the smell? That's probably my main concern.

The carbon filter sorts that out. If it didn't then the last place I would want that smelly air is outside

3. I live on a 5th floor, its better the smell goes outside through the window than through the door into the hall :) but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    Been looking into sock filters (odor-sock), coconut and regular carbon..any experience with those types?

4. Carbon filter is the only way to go if smell is a potential problem for you. There's a reason everyone that's serious about smell uses them......they work

5. So you're saying something like this: http://www.primaklima.biz/industry.html ?
    Their ECO line is no good? ( coconut, much cheaper)

6. #26 GoldGrower, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015

Prima klima filters use coco as well as carbon but I have opened one up to refill and only saw carbon so I'm not sure how that works. Either way the prima klima filters are good quality. Rhino pro filters are better quality though. Don't use an odour sock, they are pointless. Buy a top brand filter like rhino and you won't smell anything outside the tent 

7. yes something like those....I've never heard of anyone using coconut so there's probably a reason. I'm going with since they're cheaper, they're just not going to cut it is everyone would have 1. Like I said there's a reason everyone uses carbon filters, they're the best option. I live across the street from a cop and he comes over to my front porch all the time in the summer to say hi and have a beer. I would not allow that to happen without a carbon filter and an inline fan.

8. Prima klima I can get locally, but since I don't need them right away I can order a rhino filter if its worth it..no point in saving a few bucks on security!
    So I had my seeds in a paper towel inside a zip lock bag in a dark place. The paper towel is still wet and one of the seeds has a little crack, but no white root is visible....going on approx. 44 hours..should I worry?
    Took it out of the bag, placed the towel between two plates and moved it to a warmer location, though not as dark.

9. #29 killset, Jan 22, 2015
    You can give it longer, but if its cracking you're probably good to go, its nice to see a bit of a tail. But it should be on its way By "not so dark", what are you talking? Seeds like warmth and darkness

10. #30 killset, Jan 22, 2015
    I germ straight in soil, skip all the paper towels and water. If its cracked I would go ahead and put it in w/ the crack facing down

11. Its very cold right now, so the only warm place is the living room..I placed them between two plates under the couch lol that should be dark enough? Otherwise I had them on top on the fridge in the kitchen..there its dark but colder.

12. Your fine it doesn't have to be hot just warm....think nice spring warm day right under the top of the soil. Essentially all we're trying to do is replicate that.

13. #33 GoldGrower, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015

Make sure the paper is not proper wet. You want it very lightly damp. I spray mine with water just to dampen it. If you held it up and it dripped its way too wet.

I hang mine up in my veg tent. It's a steady 25℃ and nice and bright so the seedlet can start photosynthising straight away. It's a myth that seeds prefer darkness when germinating. 44 hours isn't bad, once the tap root starts to poke out it takes off and checking every few hours you will notice significant progress

14. I planted the first two seeds, their taproot was showing (upper left and bottom right) and just lightly moistened the ground. Now they're in the tent under the light and I'll keep checking and moistening the dirt, so I don't overwater.
    The other 2 seeds show no signs of cracking whatsoever :(

Attached Files:

That paper looks very wet so it might be worth adding a few sheets of dry towels to soak up some of the water. The seeds still might open up, sometimes they can take a few days. What temperature are you keeping them? 

16. They just started popping! I was just worrying with no reason :)
    Weekend is finally here, so I rigged a mock up of the muffler box (with a cardboard box lol) and..SWEET MOTHER OF GOD is it loud! It's like being on the deck of an aircraft carrier lol I will post a picture in a couple of minutes.
    2 questions: how much should I water? Between the two pots I've probably watered 100 ml, I'm just adding a little bit at a time, checking if the earth is moist up to an inch depth.
    And the ballast, it gets really hot to the touch after some 10 hours running, kinda freaks me out lol
    Managed to get a steady temp of 26c but the humidity is around 45%

17. Here is my setup for now

Attached Files:

That's good to hear mate.

The exhaust fan is loud? What brand and model is it? 

The amount and how often you should water is determined by a lot of factors so I can't really give you anything measurable unfortunately. For the first few days you want to keep the soil evenly and lightly damp all of the time. Try and make sure you aren't keeping the soil soggy under the surface, and equally you aren't letting it dry out also.

After a few days to a week the tap root should have made it to the bottom of the pot so you can then begin a wet/dry cycle. drying out the soil allows air to get to the roots, this is extremely important for fast and healthy growth. I hope you used plenty of perlite because it really helps with aerating the soil.

What ballast are you using? A 250w ballast shouldn't get hot, barely warm. How hot is it? Can you hold on to it without it hurting? my 250w ballasts don't get hot. The digital one probably gets a bit hotter than the magnetic one strangely. My 600w gets pretty hot but I can still hold on to it without a problem.

26℃ and 45%RH is spot on. The humidity will start to rise once the plants start to transpire more water but hopefully won't get higher than 60% 

19. The fan is a Vents VKO1 125mm, a cheap fan (probably the problem).
    I've been keeping the soil as lightly damp as I can, so I don't over water.
    The ballast is an ETI 250w, all metal, very heavy, but after a few hours it gets really hot - this is concerning!
    For example, its been running for 5 hours today and when I touch the top I can't do it for more than 5 seconds before it hurts..the bottom however is cool. The ballast is grounded, but I still can't go to sleep peacefully lol yesterday I cut the cycle, disconnect the lamp for an hour (8 on, 1 off, 8 on) just so it would cool. Maybe direct a fan at it? Its outside the tent.

20. #40 GoldGrower, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015

Those fans are incredibly loud and incredibly inefficient. Buy a systemair fan and you will be astounded at the difference of air flow and noise level.

That ballast has an open casing so you get the full brunt of the heat when touching it. My magnetic 250w ballast is enclosed in a steel case that has a gap all around the actual ballast so the casing doesn't get hot. In your case I would probably aim a fan on it and make sure it sited on something that doesn't burn. It's normal for the ballast to get hot.

Having it outside the tent is good. I have a couple of small pc fans suspended just above my 600w digital ballast to keep the case cool. It's enclosed in an aluminium case with heat sink style fins so this helps with the cooling. I can hold on to mine without burning. Digital ballasts have a big advantage in this area